Android Port

General discussion about the game.
UltraMantis

Re: Android Port

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:18 pm

Suddenly i want an Android port. And i haven't even got Android. :D Looks fantastic!
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
ugur

Postby ugur » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:33 pm

Thanks =)
And it runs the same on iOS in case that helps =)
(Actually it runs better now since i tweaked it some more =) )
Dunno if it will ever see the light of the day though other than in video form, i sent the link to the video to the FTL fellas and haven't gotten a reply so far =( =)
sethicis

Postby sethicis » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:39 pm

I would like to add my voice as well to the request for an android version of the game. I recently bought the desktop version of FTL off the humble store, but would gladly pay for the game again to play it on my android devices, it's just that good. :-)

So please please please find the time work on an android port of this game.

Much appreciated!
thelonesoldier

Postby thelonesoldier » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:42 am

If you make the port in Flash using their (relatively) new AIR for Mobile platform, you can make a mobile version of FTL for Android and iOS at the same time. I've done some multiplatform mobile development with Flash and it's surprisingly powerful and easy to use.
ugur

Postby ugur » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:42 am

I've worked a lot with Unity, flash/Air, UDK and other middleware and i feel like Unity is the much better choice for going mobile compared to Air. It is far more powerful and performant than flash/air on mobile platforms.
Flash is nice for 2D stuff but on mobile sadly lacks a lot of platform functionality support next to not running that great on many devices when doing more in depth stuff.
Ace Cooper

Postby Ace Cooper » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:11 pm

I think the Android version of this game is a wonderful idea!
You would get so many new customers and a lot of good karma for the mobile version!
The game speed and genre is ideal for handheld devices with resolutions from 960x540 / 1280x720 and above.

I kindly ask you to consider creating version for Google Play Market and Apple Store. :idea:
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:00 pm

Adapting to different resolutions and battery life may be issues preventing or delaying a mobile port. Also, FTL relies on OpenGL, which sometimes causes issues on desktops and even more frequently notebooks with so-so OpenGl support.

An android port barely working is a port barely worth having. It would be great, and the devs have not ruled it out, but it might take a while to do a proper job.

Keep voicing support for it.
ugur

Postby ugur » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:12 pm

Yeah, looking forward to the FTL fellas' port =)
Wish i could be part of that, in either case i doodled some more on my mockup in my spare time: http://youtu.be/KUwuf_Go8Ho
robby

Postby robby » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Oh, porting ... porting. Use java next time :P
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:40 am

ugur wrote:Yeah, looking forward to the FTL fellas' port =)
Wish i could be part of that, in either case i doodled some more on my mockup in my spare time: http://youtu.be/KUwuf_Go8Ho

Durn your doodles... they look too good! :lol: