[Suggestion] Fire can be brought back in a teleporter

General discussion about the game.
patrickthomson

[Suggestion] Fire can be brought back in a teleporter

Postby patrickthomson » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:34 pm

So hear me out:

I recently had the misfortune of beaming some crew back just as the fatal blow was struck - she died on the transporter pad, I was a single clock-tick too late. I first wanted to get mad and report it as a bug, but I didn't feel like I'd been unfairly conned out of a crew member - it was my own failing, not the game and that's what stung. In fact, it was more realistically startrek than the alternative, game-ified way of making sure nobody dies on home turf.

And I got to thinking, teleporter technology isn't magic; it can't tell if your clothes are on fire when it brings you back. What if beaming crew back from a burning room would actually bring some of the fire with them, add to the mad enjoyable chaos of the whole experience?
xeranes

Re: [Suggestion] Fire can be brought back in a teleporter

Postby xeranes » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:41 pm

I was thinking the same thing! I'm not sure how technologically advanced the teleporters are (i.e. do they teleport everything around the crewmember too? does it take a chunk of oxygen with it?) but if a room is on fire and boarders are taking damage from it they should still be on fire when they get back. Med crews on standby!
I... I think I just broke the game...
Nox

Postby Nox » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:13 pm

i want to be able to beam fire OVER.

and if the enemy is in my teleporter room I want to be able to beam them into space
--

No good deed goes unpunished.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 am

But.. But... butt... Fire isn't a substance. It's a reaction. :shock:
If fire was brought through a transporter I would consider that more magic than science. Even if the clothes were on fire (rather than teleporting the fire from what ever part of the room is burning) the reaction would be put out during the deconstruction and would have no reason to start up again during the reassembly as the conditions for fire has been drastically altered...

Assuming that it isn't extinguished naturally wouldn't an algorithm to suppress such a reaction be extremely simple (and necessary) to incorporate in a system advanced enough to deconstruct and reassemble matter? :o

:geek: That's the relatively "realistic" point of view I have on the issue. As a pure gameplay mechanic though: No ieda what I would think about that. I would expect to find it more frustrating than fun though.
ThePsuedoMonkey

Postby ThePsuedoMonkey » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:38 am

Einstein-Rosen bridge. 8-) It wouldn't remove the source of the fire any more than it would remove the O2/CO2 in your bloodstream.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:58 am

Source yes, but it would remove the reaction itself would it not? and the condition for the fire to start up again as well. The heat from the fire to keep the fire going or spark to get the reaction started would be gone or severely diminished, so it doesn't matter that the fuel is still there. Unless I've missed something. :?
Nox

Postby Nox » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:16 am

I can see them being brought back without fire if they were teleported over. the teleports should have them in their memory and be able to identify foreign matter and unwanted energy states
--

No good deed goes unpunished.
ThePsuedoMonkey

Postby ThePsuedoMonkey » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:38 am

We're probably getting too technical about the mechanics for this kind of game, especially since all exploration of them is entirely theoretical at this point, but I think it could swing either way. Probably not with the deconstruction-reassembly method, since you'd need to (1) know the position and state of everything composing the guy, (2) dissipate the energy from deconstructing them, and (3) absorb lots of energy from where there will reassemble. If you were to use the energy from their destruction in their reassembly, you'd need some way to get it there anyway (Einstein-Rosen bridge?), and it'd be way more effective to make a copy of 'em on their ship and just use the energy from the mass of their ship, damaging their hull in the process. But even if you were to "just" jump them over with an E-R-b there'd be no guarantee that they won't just be converted to energy anyway.
Probably best to just invoke the "rule of fun" here :P
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:14 am

I'm all for rule of fun ^^
aepurniet

Postby aepurniet » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:33 am

Nox wrote:i want to be able to beam fire OVER.
and if the enemy is in my teleporter room I want to be able to beam them into space

can you beam the enemy over if they are in your transporter room? that would be hilarious, especially if you can beam them right into a fire on their home ship. feature request if its not there already.