[MOD][NEW RELEASE] Sonata 7a TC

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
NATOguns

Re: [MOD][RELEASED] Sonata 7 TC

Postby NATOguns » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Oke, I got sonata to work. If its alright with you guys I like to post the steps I used.
You need to rename the file you download, the entire folder. into sonata.ftl There is only a problem which you need to fix. You see you read it as sonata.ftl while the computer reads it like sonata.ftl.zip
In order to fix this you need to show the file extensions. Here is a video which explains how to do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7cybrfk4_U

When you have followed these instructions (the video). Go to the map where you have put sonata.zip
Now you must right click, propterties and then rename it from sonata.zip to sonata.ftl if you did it right it will assume a new symbol, a blank page should be the pictogram picture.

After you have completed all these steps you can put it into the mod file from grognak.

I hope this have been helpfull.
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:14 pm

NATOguns wrote:Oke, I got sonata to work. If its alright with you guys I like to post the steps I used.
You need to rename the file you download, the entire folder. into sonata.ftl There is only a problem which you need to fix. You see you read it as sonata.ftl while the computer reads it like sonata.ftl.zip
In order to fix this you need to show the file extensions. Here is a video which explains how to do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7cybrfk4_U

When you have followed these instructions (the video). Go to the map where you have put sonata.zip
Now you must right click, propterties and then rename it from sonata.zip to sonata.ftl if you did it right it will assume a new symbol, a blank page should be the pictogram picture.

After you have completed all these steps you can put it into the mod file from grognak.

I hope this have been helpfull.

Thanks for the tutorial! The next Sonata release (7.1) will be released as a .zip containing the .ftl file and the readme. I'm sorry for the confusion the download format for this release has caused.

NATOguns, what did you think of the mod - any points for improvement?

7.1 will focus on graphical content and polish. You can expect, at minimum, Pilgrim/Sophon player ships, a reworked final boss, more custom weapon graphics, and additional expositional events.
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
NATOguns

Postby NATOguns » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Overall for a game that is relatif young to already see mods like this bods very well for the future. Thank god for creative people. But back to sonata, I dont think your there yet for the end mod but your extremelly well underway. The points I would adress you already named them yourself.
I also have to say I really liked the small ''conversations'' you can have with your crew. It doesnt needs to be anything fancy but it kinde breeds attacthments to them. I hope that there will be alot more of that.

Further more the new ship designs look neat. Some small polishing here and there, it needs to feel a bit more pixalated (is that even a word) Cause now they look a little bitt of with the game world.

I only have 2 points of critcise.
1. Is the music, it can kind gets on your nerves. Its very aggresive in my taste. Something smoother would be prefered. You could also just us the default music of ftl.
2. The backgrounds, I dont know if you used the improved backgrounds cause I didnt downloaded that mod. Althought It is nice its also quite distracting. And if you concentrate to much you can get a slight headache.
These are my only real complaints.

So in short, Great mod but your not there yet enterily.
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:16 am

NATOguns - hey, thanks a lot for your feedback! I didn't use any of the other background mods - my backgrounds are the ones I sourced myself. I'll look into smoothing things out and making them less distracting.

I can guarantee you that, as mod author, I would actually prefer that the music be MORE aggressive than it is now rather than less. Sorry - it's just personal preference :) - be glad there ain't any Ace Hood or Godsmack mixed in there. Space battles are not dainty and neither should the music be.

I've pulled down FTL 1.03, and it introduced a few graphical glitches to Sonata 7. I am on vacation, but will do my best to create and release a hotfix sometimes next week. Since this is a minor technical fix and will not introduce new content, it will be titled 7a rather than 7.1.
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:14 am

The graphical glitches are probably related to GMM using backup files from the previous version of FTL, as explained here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3107&start=60#p32214
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:13 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI0R_Hgd ... e=youtu.be

Another lets play done, please enjoy ^_^
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:13 pm

UltraMantis wrote:The graphical glitches are probably related to GMM using backup files from the previous version of FTL, as explained here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3107&start=60#p32214

Not all of them. There are "missing graphic" bugs related to the new options screen design, the aiming cursor (now that you can hold CTRL to autofire) and probably the out-of-oxygen graphic (although I haven't tested it yet).

EDIT: Just realized your'e right, UM; those missing graphics were my fault. There are still several UI elements that I'd need to convert (the new options screen and some of its buttons).

Bren - I'll give it a listen next time I have a chance.

thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:19 pm

I'm running into some technical issues - I get the dreaded "black square" when using this weapon graphic, and it seems to be dependent on the graphic itself (i.e. not the way it is used in animations.xml.append).

UE_DRIVER_3.png

Code: Select all

<animSheet name="UE_DRIVER_3" w="234" h="66" fw="26" fh="66">weapons/UE_DRIVER_3.png</animSheet>
<weaponAnim name="UE_DRIVER_3">
   <sheet>UE_DRIVER_3</sheet>
   <desc length="9" x="0" y="0"/>
   <chargedFrame>4</chargedFrame>
   <fireFrame>6</fireFrame>
   <firePoint  x="14" y="4"/>
   <mountPoint x="8" y="52"/>
</weaponAnim>
<animSheet name="UE_DRIVER_PROJ_3" w="200" h="20" fw="50" fh="20">weapons/UE_DRIVER_PROJ_1.png</animSheet>
<anim name="UE_DRIVER_PROJ_3">
   <sheet>UE_DRIVER_PROJ_3</sheet>
   <desc length="4" x="0" y="0"/>
   <time>0.08</time>
</anim>

Any tips?

Kieve

Postby Kieve » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:56 pm

Your PNG is somehow saved as an 8-bit "indexed color" file. At least according to what Photoshop tells me in the "Mode" flyout. Try resaving as full RGB 32-bit and it should work fine for you - I can't see any issues in your code that would cause it.
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:14 am

Worked like a charm - thanks!