I think FTL should be easier

General discussion about the game.
spacecadet13

Re: I think FTL should be easier

Postby spacecadet13 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:50 pm

Yes, it isn't fun to be in a "no-win" situation. But it isn't fun to be in a "can't lose" situation either.

The diffiiculty and unfair deaths are part of FTL's charm! Don't take them away .
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:11 pm

DullHuman wrote:Please don't do that to me game, it's not fun when you're in a no-win situation. I don't mind losing when I've screwed up, but don't just decide it's time for me to lose. :evil:

If it's any consolation, the game does that to us all at some point. "whoops, looks like they played long enough. :mrgreen: Time to kill them!" It's disheartening, but it feels really good to punch the RNG in the face and survive. :D
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
jamotide

Postby jamotide » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:13 pm

DullHuman wrote:Please don't do that to me game, it's not fun when you're in a no-win situation. I don't mind losing when I've screwed up, but don't just decide it's time for me to lose. :evil:

If you play more and get better at the game, you will learn to deal with these situations, provided you always realise and analyse your mistakes and dont blame the game. You could have vented air to suffocate the fires, you should have 2 shields by S2 so pikers arent a problem ...et c.
Disturbed0ne

Postby Disturbed0ne » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:25 pm

The game is pretty tough until you beat it once, then it's pretty easy.

You just have to have the right stuff and the right circumstances and victory is quite easy.
DullHuman

Postby DullHuman » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:59 pm

It was the combination of factors really: My doors had been taken down to one, so invaders marched through them (then I lost all control), there were fires, I couldn't see what was going on because the sensors were down.... That was my point. A combination of bad luck making the game impossible from that point shouldn't happen. It's a combination of random events leading to a no-win situation. There should ALWAYS be an outer. If you've made dumb decisions early on that cause you to lose the game then fine, but jumping out of a bad situation into an impossible one shouldn't happen.

Just had 2 more frustrating games in Torus ships: Got to S5 in a ship with a ion cannon, hull missile and burst laser II plus 3 shields and a good crew + Drones full only for windows to forcibly install an update and lose my save. :evil:

And just now I lost in S4 to a mantis ship which should have been a simple job to dispatch.

It's 4am and I'm going to bed.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:35 pm

DullHuman wrote:Just had 2 more frustrating games in Torus ships: Got to S5 in a ship with a ion cannon, hull missile and burst laser II plus 3 shields and a good crew + Drones full only for windows to forcibly install an update and lose my save. :evil:

That's a real shame. Because there was absolutely nothing you could do to save&quit in time. I guess it was the new Steam update that was recently released. You can edit Steam preferences to try and prevent automatic updates. If you can instruct Steam to notify you, but not immediatley update it would be a good solution.

Or was it a Windows update and not Steam related? My bad in that case, but you can also setup windows to notify you of updates but not install automatically. You can easily run the Windows Update app from the control panel to install updates when you aren't playing. :)
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
nikto

Postby nikto » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:55 am

No, i definitely think it shouldn't be easier. It will depreciate those moments of joy, when you overcome difficult situations.
If you want game to please you in every way you desire - play Skyrim. You practically cannot die in Skyrim. :?
jamotide

Postby jamotide » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:24 am

DullHuman wrote:It was the combination of factors really: My doors had been taken down to one, so invaders marched through them (then I lost all control), there were fires, I couldn't see what was going on because the sensors were down.... That was my point. A combination of bad luck making the game impossible from that point shouldn't happen. It's a combination of random events leading to a no-win situation.

Are you absolutely sure a perfect player would have handled everything the same way? If the situation was that bad I would have just jumped to a previously explored beacon. I usually always find something I did wrong, when I lose, which keeps getting rarer.
Last edited by jamotide on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
My tumblr about stocks, trading and so on: http://fritzmeisterzor.tumblr.com/
BKT

Postby BKT » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:04 am

jamotide wrote:I usually always find something I did wrong when I lose

Most people that complaining about the game here in the forums did understands this fact... Which is exactly why it made people mad! :lol:

For any new players who have problem with fires and boarders (most likely while using Kestrel_A) and sick of it... Try to get a Slug Cruiser (A) and give it a go... Its strengths and weaknesses are almost the polar opposite of that of Kestrel_A and its gameplay is extremely bizzare, yet somehow still work beautifully! :o
Moosicorn

Postby Moosicorn » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:51 am

I think you should play more strategically