Crew Dismissal: Why No Confirmation?

General discussion about the game.
CupcakeTrap

Crew Dismissal: Why No Confirmation?

Postby CupcakeTrap » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:59 pm

Delighted after picking up a new crew member, I was clicking around trying to get a "Rename" dialogue box or something when one of my clicks hit the "dismiss" button. The crew member just vanished instantly. No "Are you sure you want to get rid of this crewperson?" confirmation, no "undo", just instantly gone.

Especially since I can't imagine why you'd want to get rid of crew at all (maybe there's a cap eventually?) ... shouldn't there be a confirmation screen?
Barackus

Re: Crew Dismissal: Why No Confirmation?

Postby Barackus » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:47 pm

There is a max, and there is a warning when a crew member will be replaced (but you can't go to the crew screen and dismiss one, so I would assume it randomly picks one to dismiss)

A conformation button would be a nice add-on
Kenshkrix

Postby Kenshkrix » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:53 am

Barackus wrote:There is a max, and there is a warning when a crew member will be replaced (but you can't go to the crew screen and dismiss one, so I would assume it randomly picks one to dismiss)

A conformation button would be a nice add-on

When it tells you one will be replaced, after you accept it shows the crew menu with one additional crew with a warning, and then you have to choose one to dismiss (You can dismiss the one you just gained, also).
Hector

Postby Hector » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:31 am

He wasn't dismissing due to full crew, he accidentally hit the dismiss button when having just a partial crew.

I think the root of the problem is he was trying to change the name of the guy he just got...which cannot be done. Seems to me he is asking to make it more clear that you can only change crew names initially OR to allow the changing of crew names later.
CupcakeTrap

Postby CupcakeTrap » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:48 am

Hector wrote:He wasn't dismissing due to full crew, he accidentally hit the dismiss button when having just a partial crew.

I think the root of the problem is he was trying to change the name of the guy he just got...which cannot be done. Seems to me he is asking to make it more clear that you can only change crew names initially OR to allow the changing of crew names later.

Well, those things might be nice, or they might not; it's kind of a design decision.

My immediate suggestion is just that, on the "Crew" tab of the "Ship" screen, there be a confirmation between clicking that "DISMISS" button and actually losing the crewmember.

The name stuff just came up because I was trying to see if I could rename crew (by clicking/right-clicking various parts of their icon) when I accidentally clipped the dismiss button with a click and ... woosh! There went a crew member.

Since it's probably pretty rare that you want to throw away a crew member, I wouldn't see the harm in a "Are you sure you want to permanently dismiss this crew member? (YES) (NO)" confirmation box.
Paul

Postby Paul » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:34 am

I think i'd agree with having a "confirm?" screen- couple of amendments/ additions-

1) You're in deepest space. there isn't a planet nearby. rather then using the word "dismiss" use the phrase "vent into space"

2) On a slightly more serious note, I don't think there should be the ability to rename crewmembers. I mean, if I introduced myself to you "Hi, i'm Paul" then you wouldn't say "ah-ha no, i'm calling you Bob". If anything, add a nickname- Paul "Pilot"
jamotide

Postby jamotide » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:40 am

Agreed,I also dismissed a guy the first time I tried to rename someone.^^
More Dakka

Postby More Dakka » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:34 am

If you're not already full, why would you ever want to dismiss a crew member, anyway? Events that give you crew will let you dismiss one (including the new one as a possibility), crew don't cost power or resources to maintain, you don't get anything in return if you did dismiss, having crew doesn't eliminate options, and you're probably not worried about the enemy crew slaughtering so many of your crew members that they level up their combat skill...

The one quirk is that you can't buy a new crew member if you're full, but that can be handled simply by letting you buy anyway, sending you to the "crew full / dismiss one" screen, and unwinding the buy if you dismiss the candidate you had considered hiring (and making this clear on the screen). Once that's done, it doesn't seem like you'd need to ever even make it possible to dismiss crew away from the crew-full-plus-one screen unless it's just for supporting roleplay...