Allowing exit to fall into enemy territory

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Osito

Allowing exit to fall into enemy territory

Postby Osito » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:22 pm

I've been working with a strategy of deliberately allowing the exit to fall into enemy territory (to explore extra systems), but this seems to be unworkable, as I'm finding (even on EASY level) that a fairly high percentage (i.e. at least 20%) of the fights in enemy territory are not winnable.

I'd thought these fights might be easier in the first few sectors, but they're not. Just been taken out by an elite rebel with four guns at the end of sector 2.

Do others have the same experience, or do you find that you have a very high win rate (by which I mean 95%+) in these circumstances?
afedyuki

Re: Allowing exit to fall into enemy territory

Postby afedyuki » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:23 pm

There is not much of a point of winning a fight in enemy territory as you only get one fuel as spoils. Just flee as soon your drive (be sure to upgrade it to lvl 3+) charges.
Osito

Postby Osito » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:36 pm

afedyuki wrote:There is not much of a point of winning a fight in enemy territory as you only get one fuel as spoils. Just flee as soon your drive (be sure to upgrade it to lvl 3+) charges.

Yeah, I know, but sometimes you can get an extra two or three star systems explored before you go to the exit - that would make it worth it, assuming you don't die to often. Unfortunately, I do die too often :)
Last edited by Osito on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spacecadet13

Postby spacecadet13 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:40 pm

The only way this strategy is feasbile is if you have a good set-up on your ship - solid defence (min 2 shields and D Drone, upgraded engine for evasion), and good attack, either weapons or borders. Otherwise, as you have found, any gains you make from jumping to the extra beacons are cut back through the cost of repairs and loss of crew, or worse - Boom!
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:21 am

I often let the Rebels have the exit, but not if i'm in trouble with damage or don't have a strong enough ship yet. The extra beacons are worth it. And i rarely lose the Exit fights, it's just another fight.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Osito

Postby Osito » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:07 pm

Thanks for the comments.

Does anyone know what the rebel weapon is that does this:

Simultaneous attack on about three systems, all of which instantly turn red?

I've only seen this happen to me in rebel space. I always seem to lose when they have this weapon. I was wondering if it's a system-destroying beam weapon or something.

Anyone know?
Mataza

Postby Mataza » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:05 am

Osito wrote:Thanks for the comments.

Does anyone know what the rebel weapon is that does this:

Simultaneous attack on about three systems, all of which instantly turn red?

I've only seen this happen to me in rebel space. I always seem to lose when they have this weapon. I was wondering if it's a system-destroying beam weapon or something.

Anyone know?

If your system only have 1 energy bar, they turn red from 1 damage. Enemy weapons also shoot entirely random, so whether they hit systems or not is random and not a specific weapon. It sounds like you got hit by an enemy with multiple burst laser type weapons.

It is probably "When I´m about to die, all my system get taken out" and not "when the enemy takes out all my systems, I´m about to die".
If your shields are not up to scratch and you don´t have a defense drone for rockets, enemy weapons will hit your ship, and that will disable your systems.

Rebel Elite Fighters are always a bit stronger than regular enemies in the same sector. If you´re getting damage against every single enemy ship in a sector, don´t disturb sleeping dogs.
Osito

Postby Osito » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:41 am

<<It is probably "When I´m about to die, all my system get taken out" and not "when the enemy takes out all my systems, I´m about to die". >>

Thanks for the input, but that is not the explanation. The weapon I'm talking about has hit me early on in the fight, and quite late in the game when my shields and stuff are relatively strong. One particular time (probably around sector 5/6), this attack happened three times before they finally got me - if I were about to die, they wouldn't have hit me with this three times over 30 seconds or so, given that most fights are less than 40-50 seconds.

I did wonder whether this was some special "rebel area" attack, as I've never seen the same thing in any other fight.
Mataza

Postby Mataza » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:02 am

I have never seen such a thing either.
Could be a glaive beam that cuts through 2 layers of shields, could be the enemy had 3 rocket launchers, could be the enemy had breach bombs, could be the enemy had a 6 shoot volley against your 3 layer shield, which let it still do 3 hits.

Can´t say anything from here if you don´t even know what hit you. Other than the boss, all the weapons the enemy has are available to you, too.
What I was saying was: "*If* the enemy has *strong enough* weapons to cut through your defenses, then you are *not strong enough* to win the fight anyway.
It´s not 1 special weapon only the enemies have, it´s several good setups you could also have.

Did your strong defense include a defense drone, 4 layers of shield and at least engine powered to level 5? I mean all together, not only one of those.
And pay attention what exactly hits you next time. Make a screenshot of the enemy ship. No one can help you if you don´t even know what killed you.
Number43

Postby Number43 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:52 am

Except for the boss, no enemy ship has weapons that you can't get for yourself. The only difference is that sometimes enemy burst lasers don't all hit the same room (though they do the same damage per hit).