Is EASY level beatable 100%?

General discussion about the game.
Osito

Is EASY level beatable 100%?

Postby Osito » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:40 pm

So I've been playing for just a few days, and I love the game, but even on EASY level I've only won 3 games out of maybe 15 to 20 (incidentally, how do people know exactly how many games they played and won?).

So if EASY is so difficult itself, I've been wondering what's the point of playing NORMAL, as you basically get less scrap, therefore fewer toys to fight the enemy with, therefore less fun fighting? Unless, of course, with more experience, you get to the point where EASY is trivial and always winnable - I must admit given the RNG in this game I wonder whether that's ever possible, but I'm still pretty inexperienced.

Just interested in other people's opinions on this ...

EDIT: Oops, I see how you tell number of games won/lost. In fact it's 2/31 for me. Worse than I thought.
ExtraCheesyPie

Re: Is EASY level beatable 100%?

Postby ExtraCheesyPie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:52 pm

Easy is... easier. There is less scrap so you have to manage more, and harder enemies. Some people are suicidal like that lol.

I'm just getting into normal, but I guess its not everyones thing. Oh, and the score is higher.
I hate FTL...

But I love it at the same time...
spacecadet13

Postby spacecadet13 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:58 pm

As you play more, you do (should?)learn and improve - I took something like 40 games to get my first win on Easy (slow learner...), now, with the exception of the Slug and Stealth ships (and the Vortex!) I win 90%+ of Easy games. However, I mostly play Normal now, where I win less than 20% of the time -better than that on some ships, MUCH worse on others - there are still 8 ships I've never beaten the game on normal with.

I don't think anyone could guarantee 100% to beat the game on Easy with any ship - the RNG god would smack them hard at some point! But there are some ships I'm pretty certain I could win at Easy nearly every time, and if I can get there, pretty much anyone can.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:35 am

You're not doing bad at all. But to anwser your question, no. The game is allways very hard to beat.

The difference between Easy and Normal is that very nasty ships are not going to attack you in sectors 1 &2. I think there's a 'cap' on how much power and upgrades they can have. No such thing on Normal. Normal gives a 25% bonus to your score.

I'm one of those who has never played easy. In fact i was moaning about the game lacking a Hard mode, until i found ships to completely suck in. :D Like the Zoltans...
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Number43

Postby Number43 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:55 am

With enough experience, understanding of the game, and skill, it is possible to achieve a much higher win ratio on easy than you have. I wouldn't recommend trying normal until you manage to start winning more often.
breadsmith

Postby breadsmith » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:48 am

On a slightly related note, I'd call the difficulties normal and hard rather than easy and normal.
mqstout

Postby mqstout » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:55 pm

No. Certainly not. Easy with the Stealth ships still has sector 1 enemies spawn with beam drones.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Well lol@beam drones. They are probably the wimpiest drones around. Being attacked by one in a shieldless ship is the same as being boarded when your crew is mostly Engi or Zoltan, or locking horns with airless ships when all you have is a teleporter. Realy bad luck.

You also need quite a bit of experience or luck to unlock the Stealth cruisers. They are not easy ships and newbie players normally use the Kestrel or Torus, possibly the Red Tail. If you have more ships than that, you're ready to graduate.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
zarakon

Postby zarakon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:57 pm

Maybe 95%. If you are playing optimally you have to get really really really screwed over to not be able to win on easy. For example, playing the Rock ship and never finding any non-missile weapons. But if you're playing with a more well-rounded ship that doesn't require any specific upgrades, it's probably more like 99%.
Osito

Postby Osito » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:52 pm

zarakon wrote:Maybe 95%. If you are playing optimally you have to get really really really screwed over to not be able to win on easy. For example, playing the Rock ship and never finding any non-missile weapons. But if you're playing with a more well-rounded ship that doesn't require any specific upgrades, it's probably more like 99%.

Interesting comments, thank you.

Just out of interest, 95% win rate with the vortex, too? Played that 10 times now, and each time killed within 1-2 sectors by RNG (NB I know the different between RNG and lack of skill).