saving in FTL

General discussion about the game.
VladePsyker

Re: saving in FTL

Postby VladePsyker » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:30 am

Paul wrote:
VladePsyker wrote:Here's an example
Your local council wants to build an arch over a road for atheistic value.

50'000 people can vote on it

1'300 voted for it
700 voted against it
the other 48'000 could care less and don't vote.

So do you build an arch ? no you look at things that the other 48'000 would care about

On the contrary, saving in FTL isn't an aesthetic feature. supposing actually the arch was a bridge, not affecting the 48,000 people, but the 1300 people couldn't get to work without it, and the 700 people were trying to stop the 1300 people getting to work because they wanted their jobs. those 1300 people have the potential, by being the keenest members of the gaming community, the highest chance of recommending the game to friends, while the 700 people are trying to alienate the game for anything but people who can sit down for 2 hours plus on longer playthroughs. obviously saving may not affect some players, however, it won't affect them if they don't do it, plus there's cheats already if that's what they're afraid of. i'm very much for save-on-exit.

Hah how colorful :D

Its cool I recently read a lovely lil dev post saying "just remember that in the end we're still going to make the game that we want to make." 8-)
Paul

Postby Paul » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:26 am

Exactly. and at the end of the day, If they don't include some sort of save-on-exit feature, no problem, i expect somebody will make some sort of add-on to do so. it won't work as nicely but it should work. after all, 2 weeks into the beta we already have cheat programs.....
Wintersong

Postby Wintersong » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:15 pm

VladePsyker wrote:
Paul wrote:if the majority fail to vote, then they obviously don't care either way, or trust the people who do give a crap to choose well; if they've been offered to vote, they can't complain about the result if they don't. either way, the highest voted solution wins.

If the majority fail to vote its an indication that the devs should spend their time on other things.

Here's an example

1'300 voted for it
700 voted against it

So do you build an arch ? no you look at things that the other 48'000 would care about

Silly.
If 1,000 vote for A as President, 500 vote for B as President and 9,999 don't vote. Guess who is President.
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:02 pm

VladePsyker wrote:
Paul wrote:if the majority fail to vote, then they obviously don't care either way, or trust the people who do give a crap to choose well; if they've been offered to vote, they can't complain about the result if they don't. either way, the highest voted solution wins.

If the majority fail to vote its an indication that the devs should spend their time on other things.

Here's an example

1'300 voted for it
700 voted against it

You don't know how council votes work do you?

2,000 out of 50,000 for a vote on an aesthetic change? That's a good turnout, and the arch would be built.
Just because 48,000 didn't vote, doesn't mean they wouldn't like the arch, nor that they were prefer something else instead, it just means they didn't vote, for whatever reason that may be.

Equally, if people don't vote on this, doesn't mean they don't want a save, nor that they would prefer any other particular feature, that would take up the same time, rather than the save. It just means they didn't vote.
Paul

Postby Paul » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:29 pm

Maze1125 wrote: It just means they didn't vote.

yeah, that's roughly what i was trying to say. if you don't vote, you can't complain about the result. a lack of vote isn't an automatic "no". after all, UK elections have about a 30% turnout- yet we still call it democracy as everyone has the OPTION to vote, even though 70% of people didn't vote, that's not a 70% vote for another party. or am i complicating this?
Rhynri

Postby Rhynri » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:02 pm

Here is the thing. there are 1000ish (rounded up) registered users on this forum. lets say 500 have played enough of the game to be relevant (note that not all users on this forum have beta access, so that's being really lenient). Out of those 500, there are likely an additional 100 in the ether that have played the game, experienced the problem, and either a) are too busy to register and post, b) can't register and post [i could not for the first week of beta, due to a bug, others likely gave up] c) registered, and posted in a different thread, d) didn't find this one (for whatever reason) and did not post, posted on getSatisfaction, et cetera. There is a VERY significant population supporting this. The people opposing the save likely don't have anything better to do, don't pay their own bills.

My machine uses 240watts idle. With FTL running "alt-tab" as someone above recommended, it uses 360watts. I am paying ~.40$ a day, not to mention cooling costs and wear and tear on my processor, which runs 40 degrees hotter while FTL's process is running (~145F vs ~105F). This is roughly equivalent (electricity and cooling wise) to leaving every light in my house on (i use LED/fluorescents). This will be the case (or worse, my system is energy optimized right down to the fans - but it has 6 hdd, discrete sound, et cetera) for most people with tower machines. For this reason alone is justification for the save system versus leaving the game running.
Paul

Postby Paul » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:33 pm

Rhynri wrote:This is roughly equivalent (electricity and cooling wise) to leaving every light in my house on

so now we have the green reason for a save, as well.... now, all we need is to persuade the devs.....
johnstein

Postby johnstein » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:00 am

Like many others, registered to add my comment.

Several of my games have gone longer than 1 hour and I don't always have a contiguous hour to play straight through. So I would definitely appreciate a Quit/Continue option.

Sure I can pause, but if it takes me several hours or a couple days, wouldn't a rational person agree that's an odd way to play a game?

The 'if we all voted on it' discussion, is to me, irrelevant.
The discussion on 'wouldn't you rather the devs work on something else more important' is irrelevant.

In 2012, a basic "Save on Quit" and "Continue on Reload" is considered by most to be a minimum requirement feature in a game that can last an hour or more.

The lack of such a feature makes the game feel more incomplete than I would expect a beta to be. To me, it feels like the Main Menu or Options screen is broken.

So in my opinion, why bother implementing new features when the current game has a bug in the saving/loading routines?
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:49 pm

Maze1125 wrote:
VladePsyker wrote:

Here's an example

1'300 voted for it
700 voted against it

You don't know how council votes work do you?

2,000 out of 50,000 for a vote on an aesthetic change? That's a good turnout, and the arch would be built.
Just because 48,000 didn't vote, doesn't mean they wouldn't like the arch, nor that they were prefer something else instead, it just means they didn't vote, for whatever reason that may be.

Equally, if people don't vote on this, doesn't mean they don't want a save, nor that they would prefer any other particular feature, that would take up the same time, rather than the save. It just means they didn't vote.

Oh I know exactly how council voting works, never said councils were smart, minority mandates the scourge of the human race.

Just because that how it works doesn't mean the result should be viewed blindly.

I guess that's why we have compulsory voting in this country ;) not that that works any better, most people vote against something/someone not for it ;)

meh like many things a misinterpreted example, I blame myself.
Tarnimus

Postby Tarnimus » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:53 am

I see save/continue has been added to the latest build. I thought I'd post to say a huge thanks to the devs for adding this feature, it is massively appreciated. The last few weeks I've not really found time to play FTL. The next few weeks, I just know I'm going to be playing it whenever I can. :D