Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Number43

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby Number43 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:36 am

Nimbostratus wrote:If you beat a slave ship by killing its crew, you'll be offered a choice of slaves to take aboard your ship.

That only happens a fraction of the time. Other times you get a random crew member or no crew member at all.
Dark Jelly

Postby Dark Jelly » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:25 am

Ion weapons do not cause hit stun on shields.

That means you have to be careful when combining ion weapons and lasers. If the enemy has 2 shields, and you stun the first one with a laser, then hit the 2nd one with an ion, the enemy will still have the 2nd shield up. But if the ion had hit first, it would have disabled the 1st shield, then the laser hitting second would have stunned the other shield, leaving no shields up and an opening for a beam.

The problem is, ions travel slower than lasers, so it can be difficult trying to make the ions hit first. To make it easier to handle, you might want to go all-out laser or all-out ion shots for shield-busting.
azelea

Postby azelea » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:24 am

Training your crew:

If you are in a safe battle (one where your opponent can't hurt you), you can train your crew.

Dodging
1. Every dodge increases skill on pilot and engine-room-guy. This means that as long as the enemy has a laser, he has a chance to miss you. So even if he can't get through, you could theoretically wait for full xp for dodging.

Shield recharge
2. Every shield recharge increases skill slightly, but only during battle. So if you're safe, you can remove power from one level of shield and then add it back again repeatedly to train your shielding guy

Guns
3. Each time you fire a weapon this gets increased slightly. This means that low cooldown weapons are best for training. Especially ion, because it won't kill the enemy.

Combat
4. As stated before, damaging systems increases your guys combat rating, so if you're safe from fire, continually destroy/flee for high combat skills.
fylth

Postby fylth » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:47 am

Number43 wrote:That only happens a fraction of the time. Other times you get a random crew member or no crew member at all.

I think I heard that if you kill most of the crew via boarding you get a choice of slaves, may have just been a rumor though
LumiCrow

Postby LumiCrow » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:06 pm

fylth wrote:I think I heard that if you kill most of the crew via boarding you get a choice of slaves, may have just been a rumor though

A random crew member will be offered to you as a bribe if you damage the slaver ship enough, don't know about boarding though.
Zalminen

Postby Zalminen » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:22 pm

fylth wrote:
Number43 wrote:That only happens a fraction of the time. Other times you get a random crew member or no crew member at all.

I think I heard that if you kill most of the crew via boarding you get a choice of slaves, may have just been a rumor though

Winning by killing the slaver crew has 5 different possible endings:
- no crew reward
- no crew reward
- one random crew
- two random crew
- choice between Mantis, Rock or Engi crewmember

So it depends on luck.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:53 pm

I wouldn't trust what wikia says further than i could throw a Rock.

You sometimes find a prisoner when you board an enemy ship that offers to join up. Very rare but possible.
You sometimes get a surrender offer from a slave ship. If you accept you get a random cremember. Also possible to get a freed slave if you win by boarding.

There is another event that i just cant remember, but they offer 3 crew of different races and you get to pick one. Maybe that's what happens when you board a slave ship. Not sure.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Osito

Postby Osito » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:14 pm

If you enable the option "Show beacon paths on hover", it is much easier to plot your route through each sector, as you can look ahead to see which star systems are accessible from where.
Number43

Postby Number43 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:24 pm

UltraMantis wrote:I wouldn't trust what wikia says further than i could throw a Rock.

You sometimes find a prisoner when you board an enemy ship that offers to join up. Very rare but possible.
You sometimes get a surrender offer from a slave ship. If you accept you get a random cremember. Also possible to get a freed slave if you win by boarding.

There is another event that i just cant remember, but they offer 3 crew of different races and you get to pick one. Maybe that's what happens when you board a slave ship. Not sure.

The choice of 3 races is indeed a possibility from killing the crew of a slaver ship, it just only happens a fraction of the time.

LumiCrow wrote:
fylth wrote:I think I heard that if you kill most of the crew via boarding you get a choice of slaves, may have just been a rumor though

A random crew member will be offered to you as a bribe if you damage the slaver ship enough, don't know about boarding though.

Again, they don't always offer the surrender of a crew member when damaged. Only a fraction of the time.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Did you know?

That you can depower a defense drone without wasting it? Once the enemy fires a missile at you, turn it back on for no cost in supplies, then depower again to use the extra energy somewhere else.

Same thing works with attack drones, although you probably want them online all the time.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.