Charging weapons while enemy is cloaked

General discussion about the game.
VladePsyker

Re: Charging weapons while enemy is cloaked

Postby VladePsyker » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:26 pm

This is not a bug

I love how cloak works, its a fun mechanic that works for you as much for you as it does for the enemy.

I say leave it as it is.
DocGratis

Postby DocGratis » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:41 pm

VladePsyker wrote:This is not a bug

I love how cloak works, its a fun mechanic that works for you as much for you as it does for the enemy.

I say leave it as it is.

What is not a bug? Weapons charging or the asteroids not hitting cloaked ships...?
I agree that weapon charging is fine, but the asteroid thing is clearly needs to be fixed.
Weapons Officer "Aww do we really NEED 02 and Medbay? I want more weapon power"
Shields and Engine Officers "Yeah we want more power!"

Pilot (aka Captain) "Will you babies get back to work!"
temporal

Postby temporal » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:17 pm

That said, I did my first playthrough last night on the stealth ship. Boy, was I glad that asteroids don't hit a cloaked ship!
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:50 am

DocGratis wrote:
VladePsyker wrote:This is not a bug

I say leave it as it is.

What is not a bug? Weapons charging or the asteroids not hitting cloaked ships...?
I agree that weapon charging is fine, but the asteroid thing is clearly needs to be fixed.

weapons charging

cloaks not being hit by asteroids seem to be a mistake, although it depends how the ship is being cloaked . I mean if the cloak takes the ship out of phase with the rest of the universe then asteriods would not hit it
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:58 am

Obviously the meteoroids are being tossed by asteroid hermits that think you are invading their territory. So obviously the meteoroids will miss if you are invisible. Or maybe just maybe the pilot doesn't have to fly in defensive pattern delta to avoid incoming fire anymore and can focus on dodging the rocks instead. Maybe even the civilian auto pilot can handle that. (the one that isn't able to evade incoming fire without a pilot)

Maybe the meteoroids are holographic hard light projections that can't interact with invisible objects? ( <-- most farfetched justification ever :p)
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:25 am

Gorlom wrote:Obviously the meteoroids are being tossed by asteroid hermits that think you are invading their territory. So obviously the meteoroids will miss if you are invisible. Or maybe just maybe the pilot doesn't have to fly in defensive pattern delta to avoid incoming fire anymore and can focus on dodging the rocks instead. Maybe even the civilian auto pilot can handle that. (the one that isn't able to evade incoming fire without a pilot)

Maybe the meteoroids are holographic hard light projections that can't interact with invisible objects? ( <-- most farfetched justification ever :p)

or your cloak is you ship being out of phase with the universe in which case everything passes through it
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:06 am

yes, I excluded that since you had already mentioned it. (and also because you can still shoot at the enemy while cloaked, which would be odd if your shots were phase shifted :p)
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:18 am

Gorlom wrote:yes, I excluded that since you had already mentioned it. (and also because you can still shoot at the enemy while cloaked, which would be odd if your shots were phase shifted :p)

heh you know we could have a pseudo physics argument about how realistic certain things are or aren't, or we could just accept that a reasonable choice was made for the sake of game play ;)

you know it doesn't actually bother me that weapons charge or asteroids miss me when I'm cloaked
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:43 am

Quite frankly I say screw realism. Rule of fun all the way baby!

I'm pleasantly surprised at the devs design choices all the time. They really put gameplay as a top priority. Realistic representation be damned if it isn't fun gameplay. :D

(for instance why can missiles breach shields? that doesn't make sense to me when asteroids doesn't, but it wouldn't be as fun if missiles didn't)
ThePsuedoMonkey

Postby ThePsuedoMonkey » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:56 am

VladePsyker wrote:or your cloak is you ship being out of phase with the universe

Oh, I say 'bounce the graviton particle beam|off the main deflector dish'|That's the way we do things, lad|we're making sh*t up as we wish...