[MOD][NEW RELEASE] Sonata 7a TC

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
thashepherd

Re: [MOD] Sonata Total Conversion

Postby thashepherd » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:49 am

Quick question - has anyone actually managed to pull down and run the dev build?
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:03 am

I think I've hit upon an interesting new expositional mechanic, although (assuming I have some semblance of self-discipline) it won't show up until after Sonata 7.

It looks like it's possible to spawn non-hostile ships during events; I can use (abuse?) this to show story-related graphics since the layout/rooms aren't shown. Charts and symbols will probably work best - most other graphics will look jarring against the rest of the game.

I've finished converting drones now. Battles sound completely different - it's a cacophony of gunfire.

EDIT: Added the Sower component of Sonata 7's eventual exposition mechanic. When arriving at an empty beacon ("NOTHING") and if you have a Human, Sophon, or Sower in your crew, you will have the opportunity to talk to them. As you move to further sectors and build your relationship with your crew, you can talk about more personal topics.
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:49 am

I need a little help. I've been doing some heavy events work, and I'm running into a persistent text glitch:

See the little boxes where quotes and apostrophes would be? This occurred after I switched to "ANSI" in Notepad++; the glitches are actually larger, although different, when it's in UTF-8. Odder still, the events that I basically C&P'd the new events from work just fine, quotes and all.

Any tips?

BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:54 am

Got me....but the event looks awesome
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:04 am

Looks like issues with your apostrophes ('). Part of the problem lies in the fonts the game uses - they have NO special characters at all, just alpha-numeric and the basic punctuation symbols.

Solution 1:
-Go through your events, locating all apostrophes and other stray punctuations, and replace them with one copied from the original events file (in technical terms, ensuring that the exact character ID you're using matches up with what the game ought to see).

Solution 2:
-Replace the game fonts with something more flexible. Personally, I'd suggest doing this anyway for a TC, and lord knows it'll probably cut down on the headaches (assuming it works, haven't tested it m'self). That said, there's about a half-dozen and they all look very similar, I don't know which is used where so there'd be a bit of trial and error involved.
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:35 am

Kieve wrote:Solution 1:
-Go through your events, locating all apostrophes and other stray punctuations, and replace them with one copied from the original events file (in technical terms, ensuring that the exact character ID you're using matches up with what the game ought to see).

Worked like a charm.

Kieve wrote:Solution 2:
-Replace the game fonts with something more flexible. Personally, I'd suggest doing this anyway for a TC, and lord knows it'll probably cut down on the headaches (assuming it works, haven't tested it m'self). That said, there's about a half-dozen and they all look very similar, I don't know which is used where so there'd be a bit of trial and error involved.

Out of scope :)

Thank you so much for the timely help! Any time you need the favor returned.

BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:38 am

Looking at mod makers help each other, makes me think you al lshould work together to make a super mod. Combinding the best mods together into an ultimate one
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:44 am

Did a little Sonata 7 preview video here. My microphone/mixing skills aren't the greatest (my voice is more or less inaudible), so just consider it a sneak peak at the gameplay. It ain't up there with BrenTenkage's finest ;). (By the way, he's been doing a GREAT job helping me beta test)

A9x

Postby A9x » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:41 am

Good to see you guys collaborating! :D

Sup! I'm A9 (the guy that made the background for the mod's title screen) and I thought I would pop in to say thanks to Kieve, BrenTenkage, and the rest that downloaded the mod to try it out. Sonata is based off of the storyline of Minuet and the lore of Endless Space. This speaks of the Pilgrims seceding from the UE (as you might already know).

It do like Bren's "Combining the mods into an ultimate one" idea. However ambitious, it would be fun to attempt in the very least. If not then it would be nice to get some help with the Endless Space mod, called "Minuet," because it is still being developed by shepherd and I.*

*I feel bad saying that because I can't help with code.
shark

Postby shark » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:35 pm

BrenTenkage wrote:Looking at mod makers help each other, makes me think you al lshould work together to make a super mod. Combinding the best mods together into an ultimate one

hahahaha, shark mods almost got banned for that.

j/k. the thing is there's not much point in making a "super mod" as we've already pushed the envelope on the possibilities of what can be changed. now the only thing left for us to do is grind quality work; and that comes down to visual/artistic assets (alot of days) and some walls of text (few hours tops).

so if you have ships you need coded or unused assets you want to put to use - drop me a PM.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.