Suggestion: 9th bar for weapons

General discussion about the game.
Nori

Suggestion: 9th bar for weapons

Postby Nori » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:31 pm

After having played many games now I must say that it is frustrating to only have 8 bars of energy for weapons. The reason being that you can't fit 3 weapons that take three energy. All the good missiles take three energy, most of the beam weapons and mark ii weapons take three as well. I would love to fit a breaching missile, a heavy laser mk ii and still have three left over for a burst mark ii and a bomb, or a beam or anything...

If we have the scrap for it why shouldn't we be able to do it? Though I might want to argue that the 8th bar should be a wee bit cheaper to accommodate adding a 9th, as to get 8 bars currently is crazy hard to do on normal (assuming you want shields).

Just my thoughts..
VladePsyker

Re: Suggestion: 9th bar for weapons

Postby VladePsyker » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:13 am

Most likely a balance choice.

I'm glad you can't just mount the biggest weapons out there , 8 energy gets you to make smarter choices about your loadout.
Nori

Postby Nori » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:37 pm

But it also artificially limits what you can fit, especially when you often don't get to "pick" which weapons you use. Heck I would love to fit 4 burst laser mk2, but I rarely see those in the store or in drops. So having a 9th weapon bar would give us a little bit more flexibility if we managed to pick up certain weapons. The cost is high in scrap and you also have to power it (which is limited).
temporal

Postby temporal » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:06 pm

Geez, don't think I've ever filled the power bar for weapons on any of the ships. Seems to get prohibitively expensive, usually better to put some scrap into another less upgraded module. Not to mention you'd have to find/afford 3 good 3 power weapons, which rarely happens for me.
OrangeBottle

Postby OrangeBottle » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:25 pm

Yeahno.

"I have an idea, let's mount three pegasus missiles on our ship! Or two burst laser IIIs and an ion bomb! This totally isn't overpowered!"
Nori

Postby Nori » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:36 pm

@Orange: Yes and good luck finding two pegasus missiles let alone three... You are lucky to find one, in all of my playthroughs I have only found one burst laser IIIs and that was on easy. So I fail to see the problem here... Plus if you really wanted to fit three pegasus missile launcher than good luck getting enough missiles to do anything.

Yes the 9th bar would make a ship more powerful, but its hardly game breaking and comes at a high cost, the 9th bar would cost more than a drone system. I fail to see any overpowering ability there.

If the devs are reluctant to add this option then please give us the ability to mod it in.
aviphysics

Postby aviphysics » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:40 pm

temporal wrote:Geez, don't think I've ever filled the power bar for weapons on any of the ships. Seems to get prohibitively expensive, usually better to put some scrap into another less upgraded module. Not to mention you'd have to find/afford 3 good 3 power weapons, which rarely happens for me.

The one time I bought up to level 7 I got a very nice loot drop from one of the special options it enabled. Basically paid for itself right then and there.
Nox

Postby Nox » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:11 pm

Power, time, weapon slots, opportunity, scrap cost, ammo. All of these are costs and factor into the balance.

Why stop at 9? Why not 10? Why not 11? 12? I think what you have here is you've hit the limit and wish the limit was higher. That's fine, but it's not higher. Now think around that limit. What can you do to maximize the value of the 8 power you have?

Don't try to change the game, change the play.
--

No good deed goes unpunished.
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:47 am

Nori wrote:But it also artificially limits what you can fit,

GOOD ! :D
Nori

Postby Nori » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:11 am

My point is you often don't get to choose what to fit and since many weapons are three power you can't fit a lot of what you end up getting in loot.

Anyway, if it isn't changed up just having a mod option to change power would be cool.