Rockmen
Zoltan
Engi
Mantis
Crystal
Slug
Human
Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen!
Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here!

Rebeler

Re: Most useful crew type?

Postby Rebeler » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:36 pm

I would have to agree with your list!
I like the fact that slugs do not have any negative traits whatsoever.
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:27 am

I'd probably say...

1. Zoltan/Engi/Mantis
2. Crystal
3. Slug
4. Human/Rockman

I put Zoltan, Engi and Mantis all on the same level because I wouldn't want a ship entirely of any one of them: they work best when you have a mixed crew.

Crystals come in at next best because their lockdown power and resistance to suffocation is very helpful.

Slugs are next on the list because they are basically humans with the bonus of revealing enemy movement and no downsides.

Humans and Rockmen occupy my bottom tier because humans have no positive traits, and Rockmen are so freaking slow. Having one rockman is good because you can put them in the helm and they are great at staying in one spot indefinitely, and they give you helpful blue options, but after I've got one I'd pretty much rather have any other race instead. :P

I know I'm probably alone in my irrational dislike of the Rockmen, but hey, someone's got to do it. :P
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
mqstout

Postby mqstout » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:36 pm

One of each nonhumans, the rest either Mantises or Zoltans. (I don't count Crystals...)
Vexov

Postby Vexov » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:46 pm

Mostly depends on ship.

1) Engi (Repairs twice the speed, uhh yes please)
2) Mantis (get to and rid of enemies quickly, ship security or invade with a fury) (my FAV)
3) Zoltans (but not many, they're too weak and moving them around could be bad)
3) "A" slug (great to have "1", for vision when sensors go dark/down)
4) Crystal (might as well be excluded)
5) Rock
6) human (Dead last cause there isn't enough penalty to the other races)(humans should be able to get a 3rd lvl of training). (Suffocate 50% faster as a pen, makes logical sense when comparing to other races)
spacecadet13

Postby spacecadet13 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:27 pm

1) Zoltans - love to have 4 shields/max weapons/ d drones 1 & 2 AND cloaking for the boss fight, thanks. If I get boarded, I'll take my chances with venting the ship. Getting those doors to level 3 ASAP is a must!
2) Mantis/Rockmen - boarding and repelling boarders. Nothing better than boarding Rocks with firebeam/firebomb, and for putting fires out on my ship.
3)Crystals - lockdown is very handy when boarding enemies - takes away the pressure to damage their medbay and/or allows the takedown of a system without those annoying interruptions.
4) Engi - faster repairs is never a bad thing.
5)Slug - seeing the number of enemy crew and their location can be useful, as well as picking up fires/breeches on your ship in a nebula
6) Human...meh. We suck! Always disappointed to get one of these from pirates or events instead of ANY of the other races.
More Dakka

Postby More Dakka » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:59 am

Boarding/counter:
- Two crystal, two mantis if possible; more likely, four mantis pref for sheer lethality.

At stations:
- One Rockman, probably on helm (usually one ugly station to abandon in an emergency, so high health is nice)
- One Engi, on shields (least valuable to continuously man during trouble, usually)
- One Zoltan, on engine (less micro than on weapons, where reordering might be frequently necessary)
- One Slug, probably on weapons

Boarding is usually very strong unless you're up against hordes of AI ships, so crystals and mantises are so darn nifty. Did well enough with a purely Crystal/Mantis/Rockman crew, heh; I'd rather go without a single engi/zoltan/slug/human, then w/o a single crystal/mantis/rockman.
Zalminen

Postby Zalminen » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:04 pm

Mantis - Great fighters.
Crystal - Yes, you have a medbay. No, you can't use it.
Rockmen - Good firefighters, good invaders, good defenders.
Zoltan - Power! More power!
Engi - Handy.
Slug - A bit meh.
Human - Even more meh.
aaOzymandias

Postby aaOzymandias » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:13 pm

Hmm, it all depends on my strategy, but:

Manits/Crystal (epic boarders)

Rockman (good boarder as well)

Engie (Nice crew to man and repair critical station)

Zoltan (Free power? Handy :) )

Slug (Handy to know where the enemy is)

Human (Common and uninteresting)
Nimbostratus

Postby Nimbostratus » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Zoltan and Rockmen are my favs. My ideal crew would probably be 3 Zoltan manning weapons, shields and engine, 3 Rocks on repair and boarder-fighting duty, and 2 others.