Beta Release Discussion

General discussion about the game.
dnblumberg

Spoiler... stealth ship run

Postby dnblumberg » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:38 am

So I tried a stealth ship run after finally getting it unlocked...

First 3 runs= disaster... took too much damage could never recover from constant repairs and then went boom.

Finally decided to try an easy mode....

Effectively could make it to the end fight.

Fought the boss ship blew off both its 'wings'.... Then I couldn't hurt it... My equipment was a Hull beam dmg 2 ray, a hull laser dmg 2 ( 3 shots ), and a teleport 3 damage hull breach bomb.... My ship was literally maxed out on all adders. I could not overcome the teleportation shield at all... it was so depressing... The teleport bomb wouldn't fire with the teleport shield and my hull laser at best couldn't on its own drop the shield which made my hull beam useless..... It was quite sad and depressing actually.

I think you should seriously consider making that turbo charged shield only 50% vs teleported weapons... 100% proof = total fail and sad for someone that had no idea something like that might show up prior to getting to that fight.
Justin
Site Admin

Re: Beta Release Discussion

Postby Justin » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:08 am

It's true that the super shield sorta ruins runs for people with bombs+teleporting... however we'll be adding a 'race' of ships which use all use supershields. When they're in the mix of the game you'll have time to know about them and balance your build before you get to the last fight. (that's the theory anyways)
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
yellowfrogred

Postby yellowfrogred » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:45 pm

Got to the final boss, beat if first fight pretty easily; then when it ran away it did so right into the rebel base causing game over; might be an idea to prevent it running into the rebel base. Also; weapon spawn rates seem too low, far less often than drone sales particularly if choosing not to install a drone control module.
dnblumberg

Postby dnblumberg » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Concerning Super Shields. Maybe add some way to swap out your cargo and your weapon slots on the fly? Put in a time delay perhaps, a system that when activated takes 60 seconds and two crewman must be in the weapons room to do it?
tcolberg

Postby tcolberg » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Just want to note a problem I've been having:
I've been having to leave my game open and minimized, since there's no save feature. Both times I've done this, I've come back to the game hours later and found that I can't see the graphics (black screen) when I maximize the game. I can still hear the music playing and the buttons being hovered over when I move my mouse around. I don't have the time to play the game in segments longer than an hour, so I've only lost the game due to having to ending the process through task manager. I'm using "Stretch" graphics mode, I'll try non-stretch fullscreen later this evening.
AshEnke

Postby AshEnke » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:42 pm

Quick question.
I went with the Stealth Ship, and tried running the crew teleporter for the first time.
At first it went okay, however in the end (two last sectors I think), after having lost my boardingcrew on a ship I destroyed without beaming them back, I could'nt board any ship.

I tried it on several small ships, with one or two boarders, and on the final boss, but nothing happened. In pause mode the icon indicated that my order was received, but then nothing.

Is it a bug or normal ? I heard talk about a teleporting shield on one of the topics, but don't know if it was a suggestion or a feature (I tried teleporting on a ship with shields down, and even with shields completely out of order)
khanmark

Postby khanmark » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:30 pm

Tried to do a search, but didn't see anything.

Once we've killed a ship and there's people still on your ship that was teleported over earlier, why not have a dialogue giving the now stranded crewman a chance to surrender and join the team? Of course the mantis guys can always suicide into a system or cause hull damage if they don't like the way talks occur.
MrJLK

Postby MrJLK » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:23 pm

This thread updates to quickly for me top keep track. This is aimed at Warbird make the lets play videos.

Also I'm glad I'm going on holiday soon so that the wait for release will come even quicker. This game looks like great fun. :mrgreen:
WordMercenary

Postby WordMercenary » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:04 pm

Justin wrote:It's true that the super shield sorta ruins runs for people with bombs+teleporting... however we'll be adding a 'race' of ships which use all use supershields. When they're in the mix of the game you'll have time to know about them and balance your build before you get to the last fight. (that's the theory anyways)

If they become that common in the game, is it possible that they'll be available to players as well? As an augment perhaps?
stuntaneous

Postby stuntaneous » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:41 pm

Some thoughts.

It never seems beneficial to have mercy on an enemy. I blow them away every time. Give me that scrap.

Unlocking new ships feels like a nice achievement but really, it doesn't seem to matter. You're given a different layout that may make defending FTL operation easier or venting sections more useful, a few changes to the starting crew and modules, etc. But, that's about it. Essentially they feel the same to me. Clicking in different places is the perk.

I've quickly cornered one niche of play-style and that just works, all the time.

I don't really go through equipment much. Less than a handful of changes and I'm at the end of the game.

I think you've done well with making the map itself a bit interesting, e.g. deciding which path to follow across a system, the effects on fleet progression with nebulae and NPC events. But, I quickly got that automated in my mind and then it was straight forward. More choices and varied er, level design and mechanics would be appreciated.

The boss cheats. I don't like the idea of another entity arbitrarily having things we can't have. Super weapon? Super shield? Whatever.

Essentially I take issue with the lack of meaningful choices and the repetition. I've had a great time playing the game, for a limited time. After this early point, there hasn't been much to it and I've been coming back to it less and less for a token, casual game. I don't see myself playing this much at all very soon. Generally, I'd recommend playing some of your favourite roguelikes to try and extrapolate those universal threads that make the genre so great. You're never short an idea examining the better ones.