What are your favorite upgrades / augmentations? [SPOILERS]

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
MANtisB

Re: What are your favorite upgrades / augmentations? [SPOILE

Postby MANtisB » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:53 pm

1. Teleporter
2-infinity. ...

Seriously. Boarding is really the way to go. Other favorites: L2 Sensors, L2/L3 Doors, Engine, Shield and Reactor upgrades. Weapons and Drones are on an as-needed basis, Stealth, Oxygen, Medbay = lol. Artillery Beam is neat, but having to use the Federation Cruiser and pass on a 4-man Teleporter is a real dealbreaker.

Augmentations: Love me some Long Range Sensors and Scrap Recovery Arms in all games. Weapon-centric games will request a Weapon Preigniter. Rest are nice but don't really stand out to me.
Independent George

Postby Independent George » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:50 am

I love the teleporter, it still has to be used in conjunction with your offensive capabilities if you want to survive the fight without damage.

My favorite weapon is the fire bomb. It's just so versatile - you can use it for boarding, first strike, and artillery spam, it's effective against nearly all ship types, and it's incredibly useful against the rebel flagship.

My favorite augment is the weapons loader. They're far more common than the pre-igniter, and when stacked together, they're even better. Best of all, their impact scales with weapon speed - they're even more effective with slower weapons than the quicker ones.
Darkelve

Postby Darkelve » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:44 pm

Actually, after more playtime, I must say that I've come to appreciate upgrades I previously didn't give much credit.

For example: long range sensors are awesome early on in the game, since they enable you to plan your course. This way you can get the most amount of scrap, which translates to a well-upgraded ship in the early stages of the game.

Weapons loader is cool too. And I just began using the teleporter, it's much more useful if you can use two Mantis though.
Hoa_Binh

Postby Hoa_Binh » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Weapon Pre-Igniter ... nuff said.
Todes_Schnitzel

Postby Todes_Schnitzel » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:28 pm

my favorite upgrate is the Teleporter , because you get so many good blue options 8-)
MY ENGLISH IS TERRIBLYHELL YEAH!
This text is presented by Google translate , my english skill and german. :D
youngbeard

Postby youngbeard » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:15 am

Drone Recovery Arm, if I'm using drones. Never run out of drones again. If I get one, I also like to have a hull repair drone. Then you can use all your extra drone parts for repairs as needed. No more desperately hunting for a store with 3 HP left. In later sectors it's cheaper to buy drone parts to use the hull repair drone than it is to straight up repair in a store.
FDru

Postby FDru » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:34 pm

Long-Range Sensors are the best value for their cost, and almost always worth picking up. I find them to be especially useful for boarding ships to make sure there's a ship at every beacon I jump to; but just being able to avoid hazards makes these highly valuable for any ship.

Drone Recovery Arm is super awesome with any non-boarding strategy, since drones are great and very costly (drones are of limited use when boarding, I've found... just the occasional defense drone is needed, unless you have no weapons).

Automated Reloader (or whatever it's called) is really nice to have, especially with multiples. I think I even prefer it over the Pre-Igniter (which is overrated and very niche, IMO). I'll almost always grab these if I can afford them.

Scrap Recovery Arm. Obvious. Who doesn't love free scrap? Really nice when you find that one event that gives you a load of scrap just for having one.

Level 2 doors are so important I can't imagine getting through the game without them. The ability to control fires and boarders easily is just too good. Usually I'll have these before jumping into sector 2.

Those are my favorite ones, off the top of my head.
youngbeard

Postby youngbeard » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:44 am

FDru wrote:Automated Reloader (or whatever it's called) is really nice to have, especially with multiples. I think I even prefer it over the Pre-Igniter (which is overrated and very niche, IMO). I'll almost always grab these if I can afford them.

That Automated Reloader really shines on the Torus and Fed Cruiser ships. "Full-auto" Ions for the Engi, and superfast artillery recharge on the cruisers. And it's stackable... :twisted:
spacecadet13

Postby spacecadet13 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:00 pm

? I got the impression that the Auto Reloader made no difference to the Artillery Beam on the Fed Cruisers, and only affected the conventional weapons?
JagXY

Postby JagXY » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:30 pm

spacecadet13 wrote:? I got the impression that the Auto Reloader made no difference to the Artillery Beam on the Fed Cruisers, and only affected the conventional weapons?

As I understand it the Auto-Reloader does affect the Arty Beam, while the Pre-Igniter does not. Because the latter would be way too overpowered ;)