FTL On Linux

General discussion about the game.
Shiftyeyesshady

FTL On Linux

Postby Shiftyeyesshady » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:07 pm

I can report that playing FTL under WINE on Linux works, and works beautifully.

All you have to do is install Steam using WINE, then simply download and play FTL like normal.

The only thing I didn't test was using fullscreen.
ColOfNature

Re: FTL On Linux

Postby ColOfNature » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 pm

Not working for me. Is it cos I is using Intel integrated graphics? Probably, no-one like those. Also, I'm using Wine from the Debian Wheezy repo. Maybe building the bugger from the latest source would help.
...common and uninteresting.
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:27 am

Glad to hear its working! There should be a linux version proper before too long.
Shiftyeyesshady

Postby Shiftyeyesshady » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:29 am

ColOfNature wrote:Not working for me. Is it cos I is using Intel integrated graphics? Probably, no-one like those. Also, I'm using Wine from the Debian Wheezy repo. Maybe building the bugger from the latest source would help.

I ran mine using a low end Nvidia card, I kinda doubt the Integrated Graphics are to blame. Likely its just the older wine version. I ran mine on Ubuntu 11.10 from the Wine PPA. Debian isn't too proactive about putting the latest versions in their repositories, they aim for stability over cutting edge. I imagine if you grab the latest .deb from the Wine site, you should have more luck.
spunky

Postby spunky » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:07 pm

Having some problems launching from Linux. No big deal since I am dual booting Windows, but figured I would post here anyways.

Ubuntu 10.10
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Card
Installed steam using WINE, installed FTL from Steam.
ColOfNature

Postby ColOfNature » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:34 pm

After much mucking about (including building the Wine 1.5.6 from source, under which FTL would only run when Steam was started with winedbg) I gave up and installed PlayOnLinux and it worked first time. Yay.

I don't usually like to use wrappers like PoL cos I like to know what's going on, but sometimes it's nice if things just work.
ColOfNature

Postby ColOfNature » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:09 am

Have any other pengunistas noticed that when viewing crew members in shops prior to hiring them their green stat/experience bars extend to the left side of the screen? I'll grab a screeny next time I'm playing if it's not clear what I'm on about.
Asraniel

Postby Asraniel » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:16 am

I'll wait for a native port before playing on linux. But really looking forward to it :)