saving in FTL

General discussion about the game.
Tuuvan

Re: saving in FTL

Postby Tuuvan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:23 pm

Tarnimus wrote:As for fears that a save system can be exploited...I don't really see the issue. If somebody exploits their own isolated, single player game, then that's pretty pathetic - but how does it impact on anybody else?

This.

Mark down another for save on exit.
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:37 pm

I'll take more ships, crew, items, enemies and augments over save on exit thx ;)
Bushi

Postby Bushi » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:00 pm

Tuuvan wrote:
Tarnimus wrote:As for fears that a save system can be exploited...I don't really see the issue. If somebody exploits their own isolated, single player game, then that's pretty pathetic - but how does it impact on anybody else?

This.

Mark down another for save on exit.

esp. considering that taking a hex editor to the thing is way easier than modding a save game a lot of the time.

Hell, I've been doing it just to stretch the game and see what happens
tcolberg

Postby tcolberg » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:15 am

Just want to put another vote in for a save function. I put an hour into my first playthrough yesterday and got to near the end of the fourth sector. I minimized since I knew about the lack of a save function. I just came back to it and found that even though the music is playing in the background, the graphics won't reappear.

I'll probably just have to force quit the game now, but I would have preferred to have been able to save my game rather than leaving it on over night only to find that it is not functional.
karnisov

Postby karnisov » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:04 am

Please add save on exit. Thanks.
Chief

Postby Chief » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:31 am

There's a problem in that save scumming will make it difficult, if even possible, to create a fair leaderboard.

There are some ways to help prevent this like having the game check a save file's save time against its OS date modified. But it's a very fragile system that can be ruined by antivirus scans. You can screw with the permissions but that involves running the game in admin mode and people (me) don't like files that don't want to be deleted. They can try to hide the save game data by sticking it in some other file that changes file size regularly, but security through obscurity is no security at all.

I believe the best way around that is storing the save files off-site, but that's a lot of money on the developer's part.

In the mean time, I always sleep/hibernate my computers anyway. So I just don't close it.

~Chief
Onyx:
Case|Thermaltake L10GT=|=GPU|eVGA GeForce GTX680=|=CPU|Intel I5 2400 3.1G=|=PSU|RAIDMAX 850W RX-850AE R=|=MB|MSI P67A-G45 (B3)=|=SDD|Crucial C300 128 GB (1.25 TB HDD)=|=RAM|Corsair 16 GB DDR3=|=LCS|Black Ice GT 240|EK-FC680|Koolance RP-1005BK
Lestibournes

Postby Lestibournes » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:36 am

Chief wrote:There's a problem in that save scumming will make it difficult, if even possible, to create a fair leaderboard.

There are some ways to help prevent this like having the game check a save file's save time against its OS date modified. But it's a very fragile system that can be ruined by antivirus scans. You can screw with the permissions but that involves running the game in admin mode and people (me) don't like files that don't want to be deleted. They can try to hide the save game data by sticking it in some other file that changes file size regularly, but security through obscurity is no security at all.

I believe the best way around that is storing the save files off-site, but that's a lot of money on the developer's part.

In the mean time, I always sleep/hibernate my computers anyway. So I just don't close it.

~Chief

So then don't have an online leaderboard, or only allow games that are played with the save option disabled.
Chief

Postby Chief » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:46 am

So then don't have an online leaderboard, or only allow games that are played with the save option disabled.

That's a good idea. The second part that is. What's the point of keeping score if you can't have a leaderboard on which to brag?
Onyx:
Case|Thermaltake L10GT=|=GPU|eVGA GeForce GTX680=|=CPU|Intel I5 2400 3.1G=|=PSU|RAIDMAX 850W RX-850AE R=|=MB|MSI P67A-G45 (B3)=|=SDD|Crucial C300 128 GB (1.25 TB HDD)=|=RAM|Corsair 16 GB DDR3=|=LCS|Black Ice GT 240|EK-FC680|Koolance RP-1005BK
Lestibournes

Postby Lestibournes » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:05 am

Chief wrote:

That's a good idea. The second part that is. What's the point of keeping score if you can't have a leaderboard on which to brag?

I'm really just copying what has been said before. This discussion is going nowhere. It's more like a poll where you vote by writing a post that adds nothing to the discussion. I already cast my vote, and even managed to condense the whole pro save-on-exit to a single sentence to save myself some typing. I like it so much I'll say it again:
I want to be able to pause my game and get back to it on another date.
Last edited by Lestibournes on Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:10 am

Lestibournes wrote:I want to be able to pause my game and get back to it on another date.

why ? why not just start again at a later date ?
Last edited by VladePsyker on Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.