How good do you think teleporters are?

General discussion about the game.
aviphysics

How good do you think teleporters are?

Postby aviphysics » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:15 pm

Just wondering how effective people think teleporters are.
OrangeBottle

Re: How good do you think teleporters are?

Postby OrangeBottle » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:27 pm

It depends on who you send over, and what the enemy crew is like.
Mantis vs Human/Engineer/Zoltan/Slug? Very effective. Anything else vs Human/Mantis/Rockman? It's wasteful.
TenLetters

Postby TenLetters » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:45 pm

They're very, very strong. It's relatively cheap to purchase and only requires one upgrade to be very effective. Teleporting Mantis/Rockmen clean up crews extremely fast, and with a level 2 teleporter you can always teleport them back to heal up before they would die. Just be sure to try to fight in 2x1 rooms, where you won't be at a disadvantage by numbers.

>+ Lets you kill crews, netting more scrap/resources (sometimes you siphon like 6 fuel).
>+ Is cheap to set up.
>+ Basically ignores how strong the enemy is.
>+ Lets you focus basically entirely on defense, like leveling up Shield, Engine, or getting a Defense II drone.
>- Really bad against auto-pilot ships, which have no oxygen and sometimes no doors.
>- Need a Rockman, Mantis, or Heal B. weapon to make sure you win fights until your guys are yellow fighters.
>- Still need enough offensive power to knock out med-bays. A missile/bomb weapon will work.
Gimboid

Postby Gimboid » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:53 pm

When my teleporter is on cooldown and my men dying, I just run them around the ship until I can beam them back, they don't get attacked whilst on the move :D
DeltaOmega

Postby DeltaOmega » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:59 pm

You can teleport more than 2 members so that you can overwhelm small ships quickly or demolish 4 tiled systems. You can also teleport 4 of your crew off the enemy ship by having them in a 4 tiled room. Can't wait till we get boarding drones, nothing like a bot that engage in o2 depleted atmospheres.
OrangeBottle

Postby OrangeBottle » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:41 pm

Boarding drone looks like it'll be stronger than the teleporter. Automatically breaches whatever it hits, spawns a drone that's about as tough as a rockman, and you could have at most three at once on the Torus.

Ofc, that requires a lot more power, but it's still stronger.
DeltaOmega

Postby DeltaOmega » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:45 am

OrangeBottle wrote:Boarding drone looks like it'll be stronger than the teleporter. Automatically breaches whatever it hits, spawns a drone that's about as tough as a rockman, and you could have at most three at once on the Torus.

Ofc, that requires a lot more power, but it's still stronger.

Considering that defeating the drone just results in another drone being sent over causing another breach and letting the previous hole suck out all your O2.
maddog750

Postby maddog750 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:00 am

Has anyone managed to find a boarding drone??? I've wanted one since the beta came out, but no luck. :(
DeltaOmega

Postby DeltaOmega » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:17 am

Currently, it's an ai only weapon.
WordMercenary

Postby WordMercenary » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:27 am

Very strong in the middle of the game, especially if you don't pick Mantis sectors. They're a fantastic way to earn money.

However I have my doubts about them in the final sector. The Flagship has such an enormous crew I suspect anyone relying on boarders to do damage won't be able to damage it.