What The Actual F*CK were you thinking?

General discussion about the game.
HamTheBacon

What The Actual F*CK were you thinking?

Postby HamTheBacon » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:52 pm

Yea this is a rant about the final boss, this game is fun, i will give it that, but its so retardedly made and just a chore to play.

I like the game dont get me wrong but the cons severely outweight the pros, i will explain:

Pros:
-Fun Gameplay
-Every run is always new
-A good amount of ships to choose from
-Some fun ways of creating your own ship and crew

Cons:
-Low variety of difficulty
-The Difficulty options are unbalanced
-some of the enemies generate unbalanced
-Lack of variety of weapons
-Shop stuff costs a tad to much imo
-The Final Boss is retardedly over powered
-drones are useless unless used in large numbers
-THE FINAL BOSS IS STUPIDLY OVER FUCKING POWERED

Need i say more? i can get through the game on easy or normal for some great fun, soon as i get to the final boss however i lose all fun in the game, the final ship ruins the game for me, its so overpowered its stupid.

Let's look at the final ship for a minute:

-Has 4 guns, a triple missle, a triple ion blast, a triple lazer and a hull lazer that has a long reach.
-You have to fight him 2+ times with the SAME AMMO AND HEALTH THROUGH ALL FIGHTS.
-he has 10+ drones that assrape you with no way of defending yourself or shutting them down.
-it auto repairs after you beat it the first time (what the actual fuck is that?)

I dont understand your stupid logic, you go up against a ship that has max of everything, here is how it went for me. I started with the blast lazer 2, a hull lazer, and a hermes missle, got me through the game with minimal damage (i even have a let's play on youtube of this shit) without the drones i managed to destroy its shields and the triple missle weapon, set both on fire and blew holes in the rooms of 2 of its weapons, should be completely and forever busted right? nope cuz as soon as i killed the first half and he ran away like a scared little girl i ran after it, and what happened? IT FULLY FUCKING HEALED ALL ITS WEAPONS FROM THE PREVIOUS DAMAGE AND SHIT I DID? WHAT THE FUCK. And to make matters worse, it loses the 10 second cloak for 12 drones? what the hell? on my screen at one time i had 12 drones, 10 attack drones shooting lazers at me, a boarder drone and an anti missle drop, on top of that it got its lvl 4 shields back? with the burst lazer and the hull lazer i cant get through the shields and the fucking anti missle drone it had took away any chance of me winning.

So what the fuck is that? you make the game easy but the final boss near unbeatable? 1% of the population that owns this game has actually beaten the boss, why the fuck did you make it so hard? i dont even want to play anymore and 6 of my friends who wanted to buy the game and 3 who already bought it dont want to play it anymore simply because they wanted my amazing ship with maxed weapons and shields and engine for evasion get owned by this simply over powered piece of shit, its stupid and needs to be fixed.

Say what you will but you know its true, fix it or you will continue to lose customers.
nKe

Re: What The Actual F*CK were you thinking?

Postby nKe » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:32 pm

I've never had problem beating the final boss, maybe you should spend less time trying to make the game easier for yourself and more time actually practicing builds what you can beat last stand with?

Defly easiest build is to go:
2x medbay
2x Sensor
Crew Teleporter (prefly 2x)
Max out shield and dodge
Rockman/crystal + Mantis (or two) with 2x leveled up combat

On the boss encounter, immeadly sent your fighters to take out the Rocket turret, then just keep teleporting your crew back, then back in for the other weapons. Meanwhile, rocket or 5x laser the shield nonstop until the ship blows up. Dont send your crew in middle of them unless you got Crystal and you can lockdown the room to prevent the enemy from swapping men -> Killing your crew.
Rinse and repeat, easily done in normal playthru with beginnership.

PS. Learn to play before crying, the game is supposed to be hard. Its not like in your Call of Duty where anyone can be good at.
Dear OP, you're a noob.
Last edited by nKe on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kestral B

Postby Kestral B » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:42 pm

Yep, the boss can be hard, especially on normal.
There's a lot of threads that go over the tricks needed to defeat it (use teleport to disable select weapons, cloak to avoid drone swarms, use certain weapon combos, etc).

I find that, as a rule, the frustration of FTL is reduced immensely by one thing:
Savescumming. :)

Just make a backup of your profile before jumping to a new sector (the events in a sector are generated when you jump to it, so saving before jumping means you'll get a new random sector if you restore that backup).

I find being able to try again without starting all over from the beginning after I get shafted by randomness or die from my own mistakes reduces my rage level by about 80-90%.

Also: Get ready for lots of people here to jump on you and insult you for QQ, etc, saying that they are so skilled that the boss is easy for them and they win every time. I don't subscribe to that "tough guy" mindset myself, but you did post a rant, so you can't be too surprised if people rant back. :)
Donavan

Postby Donavan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:47 pm

Dont know what your talking about Drones+ ion weapons=win
The best Sci Fi game Youtube Channel

www.youtube.com/user/NerdGuy1988
nKe

Postby nKe » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Kestral B wrote:Yep, the boss can be hard, especially on normal.
There's a lot of threads that go over the tricks needed to defeat it (use teleport to disable select weapons, cloak to avoid drone swarms, use certain weapon combos, etc).

I find that, as a rule, the frustration of FTL is reduced immensely by one thing:
Savescumming. :)

Just make a backup of your profile before jumping to a new sector (the events in a sector are generated when you jump to it, so saving before jumping means you'll get a new random sector if you restore that backup).

I find being able to try again without starting again from the beginning after I get shafted by randomness reduces my rage level by about 80-90%.

Also: Get ready for lots of people here to jump on you and insult you for QQ, etc, saying that they are so skilled that the boss is easy for them and they win every time. I don't subscribe to that "tough guy" mindset myself, but you did post a rant, so you can't be too surprised if people rant back. :)

Take a good look at my post. Way to beat the boss ALLWAYS without cheating by playing with savegames.
People these days need to learn to play before whining/looking for ways to cheat.
Games are supposed to be hard.
Destroying flagship is not even that important after you unlocked the cruiser, you still get score if you die/let flagship hop 5 times.
OP and the guy I quoted: There are savegames in the internet that have everything unlocked.
Also, there are programs like Cheat Engine that are VERY easy to use. I am 100% sure that FTL does not have any kind of Anti-Cheat program, so go on and maybe turn on godmode or make your missile onehit everything, maybe you get your satisfaction of winning that way. Have fun.
mqstout

Postby mqstout » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:26 pm

It's not so much that the boss heals, it's that it has multiple phases -- and, GASP, each phase has to be fight (and fights against you) quite differently. The drones, they're only phase two. A good counter (not the only!) to them is cloaking; use cloaking when they appear and you just sit it out.

Again on it healing -- did you notice when you got phase two (or saw the animation from winning phase one) that the whole left side of the ship disappeared? One of its four weapon batteries vanished (the beam or ions, I don't recall which disappears first)... as well as cloaking. Phase 2 has no cloaking so it never has long times of repair for its shielding.

Missiles, sure, they rocked phase one -- but because of the defense drone in phase 2, they're much weakened. Still, if you time your weapons right, you can get a missile through. But now you have a big choice: target shields to get more lasers through; or target drone bay to try to disable the defense drone? Hmm.

Play the game more.

Read the tips at the start of the game.

One of the tips reminds you: Dying is fun. Learn from your experience and try again.
HamTheBacon

Postby HamTheBacon » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:52 pm

I play the game legit no matter what i use i always get killed by that one bastard ship, its just over powered, nothing else about it, i have tried using mutiple missles tried using mutiple lazers it always counters me and in the end i lose, its stupid, so no you may have guides and whatever but its just over powered, im a causal gamer, i dont own a xbox and i dont play online games, i play games for fun yet it ruins the fun if i have to build ONE way to win, what i feel found balance the game is, easy is about normal difficulty, which is fine, normal should be a little easier imo, and they should introduce hard for all you "hardcore" people, would be perfectly fine but i dont agree that the game should be 100% hard.
jamotide

Postby jamotide » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:53 pm

The boss is ridiculously easy. With 4 shields an about 5 engines he cant hurt you much, except for the missile launcher, which is extremely easy to take out. I only lost to him the first time, which was my second playthrough.

My advice: Watch less TV, play less shootercrap. Both melt your brain and make even moderately difficult strategy games very hard to understand.
Donavan

Postby Donavan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:24 pm

HamTheBacon wrote:I play the game legit no matter what i use i always get killed by that one bastard ship, its just over powered, nothing else about it, i have tried using mutiple missles tried using mutiple lazers it always counters me and in the end i lose, its stupid, so no you may have guides and whatever but its just over powered, im a causal gamer, i dont own a xbox and i dont play online games, i play games for fun yet it ruins the fun if i have to build ONE way to win, what i feel found balance the game is, easy is about normal difficulty, which is fine, normal should be a little easier imo, and they should introduce hard for all you "hardcore" people, would be perfectly fine but i dont agree that the game should be 100% hard.

No your right. The FINAL boss of the game should be a push over. I have beaten the game multiple ways already. I beat it using ONLY ion and drones. I beat it using ONLY boarding and fire bombs i beat it ONLY using lasers, beat it with and without cloaking(without is hard as crap) so on and so forth
The best Sci Fi game Youtube Channel

www.youtube.com/user/NerdGuy1988
Madhax

Postby Madhax » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:33 pm

HamTheBacon wrote:I play the game legit no matter what i use i always get killed by that one bastard ship, its just over powered, nothing else about it, i have tried using mutiple missles tried using mutiple lazers it always counters me and in the end i lose, its stupid, so no you may have guides and whatever but its just over powered, im a causal gamer, i dont own a xbox and i dont play online games, i play games for fun yet it ruins the fun if i have to build ONE way to win, what i feel found balance the game is, easy is about normal difficulty, which is fine, normal should be a little easier imo, and they should introduce hard for all you "hardcore" people, would be perfectly fine but i dont agree that the game should be 100% hard.

There are so many things wrong with your assessment of this game that I doubt I can list them all, but here goes.

1. You're currently representing the worst of casual gaming which, incidentally, is why I no longer play World of Warcraft. FTL is a game that is specifically designed to be difficult, so if you don't like "hardcore" games, you shouldn't have purchased it. Just because you're casual doesn't mean you have to be bad at games, but if you are, don't insist that all games should be dumbed down to your level.
2. There are plenty of different strategies to defeat the final boss. Ion + drones, Ion + beams, multiple burst lasers, small boarding parties in the weapon systems, large boarding parties in the shield room coupled with fire bombs on the medbay, etc. There's hardly just one build that works.
3. Many people have beaten the boss on normal without even taking any hull damage. Get your made-up 1% statistic out of here.
4. The drone power surge is easily countered with the right preparation. Simply cloaking through it is the easiest way. If for whatever reason you can't cloak, having strong shields and engines is usually enough to withstand the drone swarm provided you've done something to knock out the flagship's weaponry so you don't take shots while fending off the drones. Damaging the flagship's drone bay during phase 2 also goes a long way, as the hardest facet of that phase, for me, is the boarding drone.
5. If you can't beat the flagship on easy with a maxed-out ship, you're just not playing well. There's not much else to say.