Manually shut a door

General discussion about the game.
Niknud

Re: Manually shut a door

Postby Niknud » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:38 pm

Justin wrote:Personally, I LOVE the fact that a "stupid", "seemingly useless" thing like a damage door control can ultimately doom your entire ship if you didn't notice the potential issue early enough. I wish there was more stuff like that.

That being said, we've considered the whole "letting players interact with doors by using crew members" idea but it just didn't feel great. Too much mini-micro management and it removed that love I just mentioned. But hey, maybe there's a perfect solution in there somewhere.

When the door system is down our crew can still use a door and it opens and closes. Just give us the option to manually close or open a door in the room any of our crew are in.
emlazz

Postby emlazz » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:06 am

Justin wrote:Personally, I LOVE the fact that a "stupid", "seemingly useless" thing like a damage door control can ultimately doom your entire ship if you didn't notice the potential issue early enough. I wish there was more stuff like that.

That being said, we've considered the whole "letting players interact with doors by using crew members" idea but it just didn't feel great. Too much mini-micro management and it removed that love I just mentioned. But hey, maybe there's a perfect solution in there somewhere.

I agree with you completely — that kind of feature is what makes this game interesting and challenging.
burningmercury

Postby burningmercury » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:34 am

its a fun frustration having just defeated x number of fires and y number of boarders and ooops theyve taken out your O2 and the doors.
reverend

Postby reverend » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:38 am

That's just losing due to random, uncontrollable factors.

No door control + fires or leaks = problem. That is fine. What's not fine is that there is no alternative solution! There should always be an option. No door control? Then sacrifice a crewmember to heroically close the door! Or try and wait if you can get door control fixed in time. That creates a meaningful decision, and that is what I as a player want in a game.
Ibasa

Postby Ibasa » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:55 pm

I think the issue with allowing crew to close the doors is that it changes the dynamic from being challenging to too easy. You could simply move your crew member room by room closing doors and retreating to med to heal until everything was closed off. Time consuming yes, an actual challenge not so much.
Once you have doors fail once you make sure that you treat door control as importantly as an other system, it's no more a random uncontrollable factor than having any other system destroyed.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:12 pm

Maybe it could require 2 crewmembers? one on each side of the door?
aviphysics

Postby aviphysics » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:23 pm

The fact is that the crew can still walk through the ship opening and closing doors.

Being able to manually close an open a door would not be out of line. IMO, it would add to the game.

The devs seem to pay a lot more attention to getsatisfaction.com so probably a good idea to post it over there if it isn't already.
Meeker

Postby Meeker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:37 pm

Oh I know! we can combine this with the Spacesuit Idea!

Make Spacesuits an augmentation! (Buyable) and have it reduce the health damage from lack of air to 50%? Maybe?
Nox

Postby Nox » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:46 pm

This is why I put drone control as my highest contingency priority. During battle I use two antiship drones and afterwards I throw in a sysrepair drone to handle hostile fire environments.
--

No good deed goes unpunished.
Frenetic Pony

Postby Frenetic Pony » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:10 am

So here's where I've got to on this.

I'm doing well, everything's go better than expected :)

And then I encounter a Mantis ship. Two board, and I open the airlock to get them down in health, because damn it they're Mantis and scary! It works, Mantis defeated before any of my crew are even killed, woot 8-)

But they destroyed the door controls before I defeated them. They are defeated, I'm in the clear, but my game is permanently destroyed because I can't get to the medbay, due to no oxygen, and I can't get repair the controls, due to no oxygen.

Obviously I know now to never, ever open the door controls to vacuum. But its still very silly. I can get to a store, a friggen store and get my hull repaired, but I can't close some doors or get them repaired?

Obviously manual door closure needs to be a thing.