Suggestion: Away missions

General discussion about the game.
Muramas

Suggestion: Away missions

Postby Muramas » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:24 pm

I often see in the story about how I send my crew off on some mission but its just all text.

I would love to see more actual away missions where you have a shuttle and you can walk around a complex / area looking for things, attacking people or helping people out. It would bring a good change to the gameplay.
jocan2003

Re: Suggestion: Away missions

Postby jocan2003 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:27 pm

Would be a new game by itself, dont forget this game while looking small does have a lot of interesting branching, the engine is usable but everything else would need to be written, lets focus on bringing this baby to launch before thinking about a whole new game-inside-game (sorry french hard to explain sometime.. but i think you get the big picture)
Lestibournes

Postby Lestibournes » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:01 pm

Since you are the captain you must stay in the ship. The away team can take care of themselves. What would make sense is if the scenarios involving away missions included communications with the away team and required you to make decisions regarding their mission. There can be scenarios where the ship is attacked in the middle of an away mission and you need to decide whether or not to recall the crew to help in the battle, but there may be a reason why you would want them to continue their mission, if the enemy is very strong you will have to decide whether or not to abandon the away team to save the ship, and so on.

Even without a ship showing there will be decisions to make regarding the away mission: how to deal with people you encounter, whether to pursue a rumor about an incredible power source that is hidden in the heart of an underground dungeon crawling with dangerous monsters, etc.
Muramas

Postby Muramas » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:16 pm

jocan2003 wrote:Would be a new game by itself, dont forget this game while looking small does have a lot of interesting branching, the engine is usable but everything else would need to be written, lets focus on bringing this baby to launch before thinking about a whole new game-inside-game (sorry french hard to explain sometime.. but i think you get the big picture)

I think you are overly complicating it. It would be like the normal area of a ship but you only focus on your units and no space combat happens.

They could expand on it more as the game matures but the whole point of no space battles / invaders would be great.
Gimboid

Postby Gimboid » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:21 pm

Lets label this under DLC/Expansion Pack/Sequal :)
nfiea2

Postby nfiea2 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:06 am

This wouldn't be hard to do at all

people with no programing need to stop deciding what is hard and what isn't

You just control the people as if they were on a ship and have the area they are in be just like a ship

not hard to do at all

what a joke

controling an away team is an entire new game and the engine is the only code they would resue

just stfu; you don't know shit
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:34 am

nfiea2 wrote:This wouldn't be hard to do at all

You just control the people as if they were on a ship and have the area they are in be just like a ship

not hard to do at all

what a joke

controling an away team is an entire new game and the engine is the only code they would resue

Being cut of from your own medbay and healing bombs your away team got limited possibilities to do stuff. If you are outnumbered you can't really do anything unless you get to fight the enemies one at a time while outnumbering them.
As far as I know there is no code available for interaction with friendly npc units.

A lot of people make assumptions about this kind of suggestions without explaining what kind of assumptions they make.

I personally can't imagine where this would be possible to be anything but a reversed "boarders only" encounter without a healing. And I don't think that would be much fun.
nfiea2

Postby nfiea2 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:15 am

Gorlom wrote:
nfiea2 wrote:This wouldn't be hard to do at all

not hard to do at all

what a joke

Being cut of from your own medbay and healing bombs your away team got limited possibilities to do stuff. If you are outnumbered you can't really do anything unless you get to fight the enemies one at a time while outnumbering them.
As far as I know there is no code available for interaction with friendly npc units.

A lot of people make assumptions about this kind of suggestions without explaining what kind of assumptions they make.

I personally can't imagine where this would be possible to be anything but a reversed "boarders only" encounter without a healing. And I don't think that would be much fun.

what would an away team be but a reversed boarders only encounter?

seriously that is what we are talking about

so away teams off the ship are boring?
why is that part of the flavor text that can ranomdly kill your crew?

if away teams are just some super boring version of boarding parites why have stories about it

face facts man; your wrong

away teams would be easy and would be just as interesting as boarding parties;
weell, with the exception that you can't heal your people so one would have to be even careful with the crew's health

basically I point out flaws and post good ideas all day and you idiots say the flaws are features and bitch and because my ideas are simply better
Cpt Earb

Postby Cpt Earb » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:27 pm

Idea for away missions:

Spaceship in front of a Sun - you try to rescue people from a disabled federation spaceship, captain is wounded and you can only beam into his teleport chamber and have to fight the fires on his ship to reveal him and beam him back before everything explodes.

Teleporting on a space station to find a crate in time before it explodes (there are also crates in it without benefit) and you have to choose a spare of them before you teleport your guys back.

Away Mission to a six-legged-pony-like-monster which eats up your whole team after you tried to give him a carrot. Run away and control the doors, during your teleporter is charging.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:50 pm

nfiea2 wrote:
so away teams off the ship are boring?
why is that part of the flavor text that can ranomdly kill your crew?

if away teams are just some super boring version of boarding parites why have stories about it

face facts man; your wrong

I love how your logic is so wonderfully flawed and messed up flamebait. It's included as stories as it's not fun enough to play straight up. silly :P
away teams would be easy and would be just as interesting as boarding parties;
weell, with the exception that you can't heal your people so one would have to be even careful with the crew's health
But boarding only encounters aren't that interesting, and without access to healing or damaging subsystems (an assumption because killing the station or ship your away team is on would destroy it and killing your crew) the encounters lose their depth and whatever little interesting aspect they had.

I'm not saying away missions are a bad Idea. I just think they would need additional feature,s to compensate the lack of healing and not having to worry about destroyed subsystems, to be fun. Mostly some kind of objective (that doesn't kill them when completed)

basically I point out flaws and post good ideas all day and you idiots say the flaws are features and bitch and because my ideas are simply better

You haven't pointed out any flaw or posted any idea in this thread. I pointed out flaws with your post though.
Likewise no one has said any bug is a feature in this thread. The only thing I even know of that is like that is peoples assumptions about weapons cooldown being affected by other ship cloaking.