How to get the Burn-Enemy Achievement?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Agent_L

Re: How to get the Burn-Enemy Achievement?

Postby Agent_L » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:50 am

VincentTH wrote:
Kenshkrix wrote:Another way is to upgrade your blast doors and firebomb your own ship.

The requirement is to burn the enemy on the enemy ship, not your own ship. :-)
You're right, but it seems any ship works.
FTL wrote:Have your crew kill a burning enemy on their ship while using the Rock Cruiser
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
thereaverofdarkness

Postby thereaverofdarkness » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:22 am

Agent_L wrote:
VincentTH wrote:
Kenshkrix wrote:Another way is to upgrade your blast doors and firebomb your own ship.

The requirement is to burn the enemy on the enemy ship, not your own ship. :-)
You're right, but it seems any ship works.
FTL wrote:Have your crew kill a burning enemy on their ship while using the Rock Cruiser

thereaverofdarkness wrote:I actually got this achievement on my own ship IIRC. They had boarded it and I used a fire bomb on the room with the boarding party and my rockmen. They didn't run away either because they were too busy fighting or because the doors held them in place, I'm not sure which. I don't think it was the doors though because I was flying the Shivan and I don't think I had purchased a door system yet.

Just try lighting fires on them while they're in combat. It also helps if they don't have a med bay. They're less likely to protect themselves by leaving a fight or repair job when they can't heal anyway, and if the fight takes place in a broken medbay, then they seem extra-determined to finish it!
peke

Postby peke » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:53 am

I haaaaaate this achievement, it seems so random. I just had rock ship with two fire beams, ion blast 2 and 4 rocks to use for boarding. Several times I tele'd all the rocks to other ship, lit everything on fire and watched enemy crew members run around and die in doorways and whatnots not giving me the achievement.
zarakon

Postby zarakon » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:11 pm

1. Set a room on fire.
2. Teleport rockment to room on fire.
3. Enemies will fight until nearly dead, then run away.
4. Move one of your rockmen out of the burning room, to the side opposite of where the enemy crew ran to. This is your decoy.
5. Enemy crew will run back through the burning room to get to your decoy.
6. If you're lucky, your rockman/men in the burning room will get a killshot on someone that's moving through the room.
7. If the enemy makes it through to your decoy, move him back through to the other side and repeat.

It won't work every time, but it shouldn't take too many tries. You can increase your odds by teleporting over more rockmen to fill the burning room.
erazor

Postby erazor » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:12 am

I wrecked my brain over this one too, and then i figured out how to do it without skill. :)
What you need is:
Rock crew
Fire bomb
Teleporter
Enemy mothership

Some of you might have figured it now that I mentioned the mothership.
Simply set one of the weapon control rooms of the mothership on fire with the Fire bomb and teleport in a rock crew (preferably two). Since those rooms are cut from the rest of the ship, there will be nowhere to run, so the fired up enemy will stay and fight, and you will get your achievement.

You're all welcome. ;)
breadsmith

Postby breadsmith » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:03 pm

That's the exact same method I used to get the generic "Some men like to watch ships burn" achievement.
Number43

Postby Number43 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:19 pm

Won't it work if the enemy has rock crew so they don't flee burning rooms when low on health?
Engi_MachoMan

Postby Engi_MachoMan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:38 pm

I've been having a lot of trouble of this achievement. I've successfully killed enemy crew with the room totally on fire, but didn't get it. I'm starting to suspect that if they're killed by the fire, and not your crew, you don't get the achievement. This is extremely tricky, because they are often ended by the flames before your slow ass Rocks can get a good shot off. Additionally, if the fire spreads to their oxygen, the suffocation can still kill your Rocks.
hybridfive

Postby hybridfive » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:58 am

VincentTH wrote:If I use the LockDown feature, then I risk losing my Crystal Crew.

Anybody has any tip for me how how to get the achievement and unlock the Rock ship Type B?

How did no one before me catch this? If you have a Crystal Man, this achievement should be really easy. You set fire to a room with only one exit, then put the Rock Man on one side and the Crystal Man on the other. For example, in both the Rebel Elite Cruiser and Rigger, the cockpit only has one exit. Fight the pilot with your Rock crew, one on one. Then stand your Crystal Man in the teleporter for the Elite, or the medbay for the Rigger.

The situation should be really easy to set up. If there's a third crew member, damaging a top-priority system like shields will move him away.
breadsmith

Postby breadsmith » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:47 pm

I've seen enemy rock crew run from a burning room too. Although they like running off to fix shields more than fighting anyway.