[MOD][WIP] FTL: Overdrive

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
hellcatv

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL: Overdrive

Postby hellcatv » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:15 am

Quick comment: do you think the FTLOverdrive.Client.Ships.Room.Tile class is a bit restrictive

Imagine if an event could pump a deadly neurotoxin through the ship with some sort of simple propagation rules as with oxygen...

Or creep from the starcraft TC, etc. Or maybe your ship is full of water breathers, but you have some O2 breathers. You need to keep part of the ship segmented off so that the air breathers can live too... "We better flood the sickbay before it's too late, ackbar fell into a trap! AGAIN!"

Would it make more sense for scripts to attach properties such as oxygen and fire and breachyness? And those events could be stored in an array sized to the number of properties specified?

I'm a bit worried that having the 3 universal elements as fire, air, and breach isn't ideal, and it might be better to do such a refactor sooner than later

Thoughts?
thomasfn

Postby thomasfn » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:09 pm

DiEvAl wrote:
hellcatv wrote:Quick comment: do you think the FTLOverdrive.Client.Ships.Room.Tile class is a bit restrictive

Imagine if an event could pump a deadly neurotoxin through the ship with some sort of simple propagation rules as with oxygen...

Or creep from the starcraft TC, etc. Or maybe your ship is full of water breathers, but you have some O2 breathers. You need to keep part of the ship segmented off so that the air breathers can live too... "We better flood the sickbay before it's too late, ackbar fell into a trap! AGAIN!"

Would it make more sense for scripts to attach properties such as oxygen and fire and breachyness? And those events could be stored in an array sized to the number of properties specified?

I'm a bit worried that having the 3 universal elements as fire, air, and breach isn't ideal, and it might be better to do such a refactor sooner than later

Thoughts?

I agree.

Perhaps this sort of functionality could be added by actual C# modules (since it'd be easy to inherit the Tile class and add new properties, then the Lua scripts could tell the engine what class to use for tiles).

Also hellcat, you should submit a pull request if you want me to merge your changes.
hellcatv

Postby hellcatv » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:23 pm

thomasfn: pull request sent

I like the idea of inheriting tile classes. I suppose that means we'd have to have an grid update function of some sort that's overridable by the scripting language.
ultimatebuster

Postby ultimatebuster » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:47 pm

So how is the Linux support going here? I've seen some posts but there is no followups
hellcatv

Postby hellcatv » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:10 am

ultimatebuster:
it works fine on linux for me...I made a linux branch on github with the library changes-- probably 64-bit ubuntu 12.04 only

There are some issues with the fonts: they look kinda blurry and occasionally have a few random lines, but I haven't tracked that down.

The program is right now fairly small: it displays a ship, lets you open and close doors, and shows a sector map.
But the tech inside is pretty cool: it's all linked to lua scripting, etc
xdiesp

Postby xdiesp » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:50 am

So, is this great project still as alive as day 1 or are you going to leave too to play some other rouge? :p If you need motivation, I can write you love letters lol
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:14 pm

Just want to give some moral support to this project! Great job so far guys! :D

Wish I could do more than cheerlead, but my ability to program in any variation of C is limited to command line programs (and I haven't even written one of those in maybe half a decade).
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Nazerath

Postby Nazerath » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Hi. I was checking out your post and I noticed you mentioned needing a logo? I am a Graphic designer (or working on becoming one ;) ), I wouldn't mind helping out. If you could email me at jackienealbaker@gmail.com and give me some ideas of what your looking for. Colors you like, content, size, etc.
Davesoft

Postby Davesoft » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:25 am

Eager .Net programmer and Build/Deploy expert here!
I'm trying to get Visual Studio 2012 on my machine, then I'll see what I can do.
I got it running on a laptop but without the FTL assets it wasn't gonna do anything.

I'm very new to github though, any good method of getting visual studio and github to mesh nicely like vss? :)
icepick

Postby icepick » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:10 am

Any plans on getting this on linux?