Beta Release Discussion

General discussion about the game.
Senex

Re: Beta Release Discussion

Postby Senex » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:56 pm

USAgent wrote:The argument about pirating is pointless, keep the name calling to yourself, final warning. People donated to get access, when the game is live you have a choice to purchase or not. I guess the developers of Guild Wars 2 are idiots too since I'm sure people are willing to pay for their product now but they won't release the product to them just yet...

Except they let people pre-purchase to play in their beta, which is all most of us want, and you're denying out of some misplaced loyalty.
hillhome

Postby hillhome » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:59 pm

I've been playing on normal difficulty. So far it's been great! I have noticed a substantial power increase about the 4th and 5th new sectors which I just can't seem to keep up with in scrap costs to upgrade to new weapons, stay fixed and well survive basically. I'm sure I just need to explore more a bit earlier on or something I'll figure it out. I just got rocked by a mantis ship on the 5th sector... and it was great :D
Check out the fun on http://twitch.tv/hillhome!
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:04 pm

Senex wrote:Except they let people pre-purchase to play in their beta, which is all most of us want, and you're denying out of some misplaced loyalty.

This isn't the place for this kind of discussion, please go make a thread on it or email the devs about it. Heck you can go list it as a problem on https://getsatisfaction.com/ftlgame if you really want to.
Gimboid

Postby Gimboid » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:06 pm

Senex wrote:Except they let people pre-purchase to play in their beta, which is all most of us want, and you're denying out of some misplaced loyalty.

I don't see how it's valid that this is a mis-placed loyalty, a benefit to people willing to donate a larger sum of money to trust them to release this game in the first place was beta access to the game.

Whilst your clearly upset that doesn't include you, try looking at it from the dev's perspective, it would be inappropriate in many ways to start giving out special rewards to other people that were offered as a special benefit to donators.
aviphysics

Postby aviphysics » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:31 pm

Just stop replying to the guy. He has his answer whether he or any of like it or not.
Lestibournes

Postby Lestibournes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:39 pm

Gimboid wrote:it would be inappropriate in many ways to start giving out special rewards to other people that were offered as a special benefit to donators.

And why can't we donate? Does Kickstarter have to be the only way and those who didn't even know about it in time just get left out in the cold? Other developers allow people to continue to donate through PayPal and the like after the Kickstarter campaign is over, and with the exact same rewards.

Here, I made an issue out of it:
https://getsatisfaction.com/ftlgame/top ... n_the_cold
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Allowing other people into the beta, even if those of us that have the beta want that to happen, is a breach of contract that we have with the company by SSG. By donating a given amount in the Kickstarter, SSG enters into a contract with the donator(s) to provide the promised prize(s) for the associated level. The level people have issue with is the exclusivity of the closed beta. If they allow people into it that didn't pay for it regardless of reason why they are breaching the contract. In the event of that, I imagine that there would be a plethora of refunds issued due to the prize being compromised. I don't know the specific agreements for this kickstarter, but I do know basic law.

The simple facts are this: SSG is obliged to do what they said they would do and life's a bitch sometimes. I feel for the people that couldn't afford to get in or found out too late, I really do. I remember having to wait 3 months for a DotA2 key, it sucked. There's other betas I'd saw my arm off to get into, but I'm not. The people put out are going to have to wait until release or a possible open beta. Frankly I don't care if they let everyone to Bob's grandma in on the beta. The reality is that they very likely can't.

We've discussed this to death several times in the past. Next point of discussion please.

Who wants me to make a Let's Play of this? I've been mulling over it for a while now.
Last edited by Warbird on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lestibournes

Postby Lestibournes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:00 pm

Warbird wrote:We've discussed this to death several times in the past. Next point of discussion please.

The only reason I ever heard anyone give is that some people might be offended by the idea of more people paying the exact same amount to get the exact same reward. So far I haven't heard from anyone who seems to posses this sentiment, so that reason seems entirely academic. Is there any other reason besides it, or are references to this abstract groups just a way hiding your own feelings by attributing them to someone else? (I'm not accusing, just wondering)
aviphysics

Postby aviphysics » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:18 pm

My laptops display is not high enough res to display the full window.

My laptop has one of the most common resolution laptop display (1366x768), so this seems like a pretty big deal.

edit: n/m just figure out how to go full screen :p
Silemess

Postby Silemess » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:37 am

Well, I seem to be among the few to cry in a different direction. No key e-mailed! *cry!* Yes, beta-level at KS. No sign in the spam filter of an e-mail.

Excuse me now while I cry in the corner until I build enough will power to force the email to arrive.