Suggestion: China

General discussion about the game.
Lestibournes

Suggestion: China

Postby Lestibournes » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:55 pm

Since you are Chinese I think it would be nice if the game had some affinity with that. Chinese music, names, or something else to give it some Chinese flavor.
Warbird

Re: Suggestion: China

Postby Warbird » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:04 pm

Justin's American bro. They're based out of China.
Lestibournes

Postby Lestibournes » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:10 pm

Warbird wrote:Justin's American bro. They're based out of China.

So non of the developers are Chinese? I find that disappointing. For once I wanted an Asian space-based SciFi. I'm kind of fed up with all the American material. Not that I dislike it, only that I've had so much of it with Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate, and even Firefly, that I want something that feels a little different. However, if the developers are not Chinese then there isn't much of a point in giving this game some Chinese character, even if they do reside in China.
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:27 pm

You're tired of Firefly? That seems like it would fit the bill quite nicely given the large amount of Chinese influence within the story and writing.
Lestibournes

Postby Lestibournes » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:37 pm

Warbird wrote:You're tired of Firefly? That seems like it would fit the bill quite nicely given the large amount of Chinese influence within the story and writing.

Not really. It still felt like an American show, and a Western at that. They only showed people who looked Chinese in the first episode, and all the uses of the Chinese language felt more like modern day people throwing in some Latin than really adding Chinese flavor to the show. I admit the "companions" did remind me of Japanese Geisha, but it just felt like modern day liberals trying to push the ideals of "free love" rather than a real cultural reference.
soratidus999

Postby soratidus999 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:07 am

Well that's what sells I spose...

If I get a bit bored of the usual I watch a bit of Farscape or something - plus I have plenty of Japanese anime/ movies to fill in the gap

It is funny that china doesn't really chill much in the sci-fi department though, actually - ill ask my film teacher, she's into foreign film - maybe she knows of some
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:34 am

My girlfriend's Chinese, I'll make a note to ask her about it. I do know they have a slew of movies based on classical stories; however I've never heard her mention any Sci-Fi.
Lestibournes

Postby Lestibournes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:29 am

soratidus999 wrote:Well that's what sells I spose...

If I get a bit bored of the usual I watch a bit of Farscape or something - plus I have plenty of Japanese anime/ movies to fill in the gap

It is funny that china doesn't really chill much in the sci-fi department though, actually - ill ask my film teacher, she's into foreign film - maybe she knows of some

Thank you for the Farscape reference. I'll check it out.

Oddly enough Stargate is made by Canadians, but it's hard to notice the difference between Canadian and American shows although there is a difference. I only really notice the difference if I already know it's a Canadian show, otherwise I just think it's a particularly good Hollywood production.

Now that I think about it I remember one Sci-Fi that didn't feel American. IIRC it was created by a Finnish studio. It's a Star Trek parody called Star Wreck: In The Pirkinning. It's pretty much identical to Star Trek, except that the captain is a power-hungry buffoon and it takes place in Russia and ends in a massive battle against an alternate universe that is based on the Babylon franchise. Even though it's for all intents and purposes a Star Trek clone it definitely feels Eastern-European and not American. To me that gives it a fresh feeling.

I am familiar with Asian graphic novels and anime as I read them all the time, but aside from Neon Genesis Evangelion and Code Geass, both of which are anime that later received multiple manga adaptations (ranging from totally crappy to not-so-great), I find the Sci-Fi unremarkable. They are much better with the fantasy, historical, and real-life genres. I've been keeping a list of all the Asian anime I've watched and graphic novels I've read. So far the count is at over 160, although that includes material I sampled and didn't like. For instance, Tenjou Tenge is one of the crappiest anime I've ever seen. There is not a single part of it that is actually good, but I actually enjoyed the opening theme song, perhaps because it is so crappy.
soratidus999

Postby soratidus999 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:27 am

It's interesting to note that in may 2011 the Chinese film and radio commission issued a statement to all production studios formally "requesting" that they avoid science fiction and fantasy storlines

There was a bit more in the official statement but you get the gist of it
Lestibournes

Postby Lestibournes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:45 am

Since I've already mentioned some good Japanese Sci-Fi I might as well mention all the good ones:

Cowboy Bebop
The only Asian show I know of that takes place on board a space ship as it travels through space. It bears quite a resemblance to Firefly, but the 2 shows are ultimately very different.

Trigun
My first, second, and maybe even third impressions were very positive. I was convinced that I found a classic anime. Then I watched it again and read the manga and realized it was a turd that shone in the light, creating the mere illusion of a jewel. I'm not sure that it deserves to get into any list of good Sci-Fi. That depends on whether you go by its appearance or substance.

There are also a few OK Sci-Fi, but this pretty much concludes the list of the good ones. In addition there are many many other shows that contain Sci-Fi elements, but they are not really Sci-Fi shows and merely incorporate those Sci-Fi elements as plot devices, often to do stuff like explaining a body swap or gender change. Some use Sci-Fi as a way of enabling an over-the-top chaotic romance comedy like To-LOVE-Ru or Urusei Yasutora (both of which are IMO crap). So good "real Sci-Fi" is pretty much limited to what I put on my "A-List".