Mouse Cursor Lagging

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Matthew
Site Admin

Re: Mouse Cursor Lagging

Postby Matthew » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:46 am

The mouse cursor "lagging" is just a result of a bad framerate, which is why finding the correct drivers, especially for the intel based integrated cards, is usually the solution. If you only just started having the problem, please try one of the video modes other than "Fullscreen - Stretched." I'd recommend Windowed or Black Borders, to see if that helps the problem.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
AllergicToBullets

Postby AllergicToBullets » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:41 pm

What sort of drivers are the correct ones to have to stop this from happening? I am having the same problem (I started a thread called "horrendous mouse skipping") I recently updated my drivers to the latest versions and it didn't rectify the problem.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:06 pm

Typically the latest video drivers should be installed. As Matthew said, mouse lagging is actually video frame rate lagging, upgrading the drivers apparently fixes various issues with frame rate.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Dr.Available

Postby Dr.Available » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:21 pm

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.40GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670
4Gb RAM
Windows 8 (32-Bit)

Running FTL on Steam.

Have tried updating drivers all yesterday without any success.

Tried some more... Still it does just seem like the mouse cursor is lagging.
branwright

Postby branwright » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:33 am

Having the same problem here. Running Windows 8 (which I'm starting to figure is the issue, based on comments in the Steam forums as well), and latest ATI drivers for my card.

Tried it with my mouse on another PC in the house, running Win 7 and an nVidia card, and it runs fine, so it probably isn't a mouse issue.
hurik

Postby hurik » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:52 am

Matthew wrote:The mouse cursor "lagging" is just a result of a bad framerate, which is why finding the correct drivers, especially for the intel based integrated cards, is usually the solution. If you only just started having the problem, please try one of the video modes other than "Fullscreen - Stretched." I'd recommend Windowed or Black Borders, to see if that helps the problem.

1. Made a benchmark test with Fraps over a entire game and have an average of 57 fps. Frame rate is not the problem.
2. Can't udate my driver ... last update was 2009 and i think there will be never an update again ...
3. The lagging wasn't present in v1.01. I already said it, it started with version 1.02.5!
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:01 am

Hurik, can you copy the contents of your "stdout.txt" here?
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
hurik

Postby hurik » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:30 am

Initializing Video
Video Initialized
GL_ARB_framebuffer_object not supported.
Opengl version = 2.0.0 - Build 8.15.10.1867
Starting audio library...
Audio Initialized!
Resource Preload: 10966
Initializing animations...
Animations Initialized!
Loading Ship Blueprints....
Blueprints Loaded!
Initializing Sound Data....
Generating world...
Loading achievements...
Loading score file...
Running Game!
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:06 pm

Did you try the other screen modes Hurik? Fullscreen -FTL Native Resolution? Or Windowed?
LeetMiniWheat

Postby LeetMiniWheat » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:06 pm

I think part of the problem is the game doesn't utilize a hardware-accelerated mouse cursor, meaning the game kind of renders the mouse cursor in software. As a result, it will never feel 100% responsive without hardware acceleration (can feel floaty and laggy) and you can get a lot of cursor lag if your framerate is low since software cursors are entirely dependent on the rendering framerate. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add hardware mouse cursor support!!!

Edit: I found a workaround for my setup by disabling vsync and changing maximum pre-rendered frames to "1" in nvidia control panel for FTLgame.exe, this seems to make it much more responsive (nearly perfect) but this will only help if your computer is capable of rendering the game at more than 60fps. the real solution is still hardware mouse cursor support.