Horrendous mouse skipping

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
AllergicToBullets

Horrendous mouse skipping

Postby AllergicToBullets » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:41 pm

I am playing this game on a Toshiba Satellite laptop, it's pretty cheap but it can run other games such as TF2 and even Starcraft2, albeit on their very minimum settings, but even so I imagine it should be able to run FTL. The problem that I'm having is that my mouse pointer is incredibly slow and unresponsive, so much so that it seems to just jump around the screen. Does anyone have ideas as to what could resolve this for me?
Paul

Re: Horrendous mouse skipping

Postby Paul » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:51 pm

I also had this problem (though not as bad as you describe) also on a toshiba satellite laptop. there's a thread on getsatisfaction for it I created here; https://getsatisfaction.com/ftlgame/top ... ly_delayed

I expect your problem is just this, but more so!
AllergicToBullets

Postby AllergicToBullets » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:41 am

So I've done what apparently has fixed it for most people, I've downloaded the newest set of drivers for my Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M and it hasn't helped to rectify the problem at all. The mouse is still incredibly laggy.

However I did do a little experiment. I started a game and told one of my crew to move. This revealed to me that it's not my mouse lagging, the problem is that my frame rate is so slow that the game does not even function. Now I've seen people talking about how they have gotten this game to run on really old intel graphics processors and it should be able to function on my computer. What in the heck is going on?
Paul

Postby Paul » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:58 pm

I had the latest set of drivers and still had the same problem. However, my framerate was good, around 30 fps, so it wasn't that. there's a chance you may have your processor being throttled to save power(a problem i sometimes have) or your graphics may not be good enough- i have intel HD. I do know matthew is working on this, but i don't know if it will have any improvement in your case.....
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:20 pm

Have you tried switching windowed/fullscreen ?
I also have this problem on one of computers, but only in windowed mode, fulscreen is very fast.

A rule of thumb: in most cases fullscreen is faster.

It's not a problem of GPU being too slow, it's a problem of 3d subsystem not using it a na proper way.

BTW, do you have windows 7? Screen management in Win 7 is totally screwed and not even Microsoft products can work with it. It's possible that FTL is running properly with dozens of FPS, but Windows 7 ignores most of the updates and shows only every 60th frame or so.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
AllergicToBullets

Postby AllergicToBullets » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:02 pm

Any ideas as to how I could fix it if that were the problem? I'm not sure if it's important but my computer can run TF2 on really low settings, but with a decent frame rate.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:22 am

AllergicToBullets wrote:Any ideas as to how I could fix it if that were the problem?
I gave you some. What results did you got?
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
LeetMiniWheat

Postby LeetMiniWheat » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:17 pm

This could all be solved if they'd added hardware mouse cursor support so it's not dependent on your framerate. not sure why they didn't do this in the first place, as this is a common practice in like every game.

but if you can find a way to increase your framerate (update drivers, turn down settings, etc) that should help alleviate the mouse lag, but it still won't be 100% perfect even with solid 60fps.

Edit: I found a workaround for my setup by disabling vsync and changing maximum pre-rendered frames to "1" in nvidia control panel for FTLgame.exe, this seems to make it much more responsive (nearly perfect) but this will only help if your computer is capable of rendering the game at more than 60fps. the real solution is still hardware mouse cursor support.