Activating FTL on Steam. Why?

General discussion about the game.
Orso

Activating FTL on Steam. Why?

Postby Orso » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:36 pm

Hello, I bought the game through the HumbleBundle site and now I was thinking of activating the game also on my Steam account.
Then I asked myself: why should I?

I mean: it gives me nothing more than what I already got; it obliges me to open Steam in order to start and play FTL; I read on the forum that a lot of people is having trouble playing it with Steam; and I'm not sure I can play freely with my "continue" file :roll:

Please, someone supports my thoughts or, otherwise, tries to convince me.

Grognak

Re: Activating FTL on Steam. Why?

Postby Grognak » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:11 pm

Basically, it's great if you use Steam already (so all of your games are in the same place.)

Additionally, the auto-patching is really nice.
Disc10

Postby Disc10 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:01 pm

If you have steam and use it then there's no reason not to, you're opening steam anyway. And you still have access to the DRM free file, which I think a lot of people forget.

It's not like steam's gonna erase the DRM free file from existence is it? :P (despite what some people may want you to believe! XD)
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:39 pm

You'll get ingame steam chat, steam screenshot capturing, ingame web browser, time tracked spent playing it, discussion about the game / screenshots on the game hub page on steam community, automatic updates/patches, etc :)
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)
jamotide

Postby jamotide » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:59 pm

They seem to release new patches for FTL there earlier.
cookie42

Postby cookie42 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:17 am

You can also opt into beta versions of FTL with steam, getting new (possibly buggy) versions before they are released via Humble Bundle, and GOG.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:46 am

If you're experiencing bugs, Steam brings faster updates (which may introduce other bugs).
Otherwise - no reason.

I've activated my copy on Steam, but I'm playing from the normal installation.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
Aerowind

Postby Aerowind » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Eh, believe it or not, but some people actually make use of steam 24/7. Myself included. It's a really nice distribution platform with lots of great deals for sure, but there's tons of utility outside of that. There's no end to my annoyance when I can't get the Steam Overlay to work for a game. Not to mention it's what all of my friends use to keep in touch with each other.

Probably one of my favorite features by far is the ease in which you can take and upload screenshots though. No digging around through your install folders trying to find where the damned thing is saving screenshots. Just hit F12 and upload.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Aerowind wrote:Eh, believe it or not, but some people actually make use of steam 24/7.
FTL does not use save syncing (which is a feature I hoped to use). Are other things working?
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
Disc10

Postby Disc10 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:56 pm

Like the rest of Steam? Yup!

It's not just game specific features that attract users to steam, and I think a lot of people forget that. I myself get tons of use out of the library organisation and if other people are in game you can still chat with them if they're on steam, which is also a pretty important feature for me.