Suggestion: Custom ships in any size

General discussion about the game.
Lestibournes

Suggestion: Custom ships in any size

Postby Lestibournes » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:14 am

I think it would be cool if the modding capabilities allowed us to create our own ships at any size, from an escape capsule to a Death Star, and maybe even larger and smaller than that. It would also be cool if there was the ability to include the ability to house smaller ships in a bigger ship and launch the smaller ships in battle - I'm talking primarily about creating carriers, like in BSG, and utilizing the carrier capabilities, but it would be nice if custom ships could be made for it and if any arbitrary ship could be carried.

Somehow I'm not sure this really fits with FTL, so lets just say I'd like ships to come in a variety of sizes and I'd like to be able to launch fighters, which will then attack the other ship or defend my ship from enemy fighters. If they are intercepted by enemy fighter then they will either engage in a dogfight or try to run through them to the primary target. I think this more limited vision could fit, and there can be a variety of fighters to choose from, with different capabilities and different purposes and perhaps some special launch methods like how in BSG Raptors take off from the hanger while Vipers are launched via a railgun-like contraption for faster launch.

TL;DR: I want ships in many different sizes, and I want carrier combat. It would be nice if we could design both the carriers and the small craft they carry.
OrangeBottle

Re: Suggestion: Custom ships in any size

Postby OrangeBottle » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:49 am

There's already fighter-launching style things, in the form of drones.
Lestibournes

Postby Lestibournes » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:37 am

OrangeBottle wrote:There's already fighter-launching style things, in the form of drones.

Then it's a matter of creating drones that can fight other drones, and do more than one thing, and are manned.
ThePsuedoMonkey

Postby ThePsuedoMonkey » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:37 am

Nah, manned fighters wouldn't be realistic. They'd need life support, windows, and wouldn't be able to accelerate more than 5G's or so without making to pilot black out. Drones just need sensors and would be able to evade almost anything since they are so small and maneuverable. Anti-drone drones could happen, but they probably wouldn't be able to one-shot the enemy drones, since they'd be designed to evade strong threats.
Lestibournes

Postby Lestibournes » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:18 am

ThePsuedoMonkey wrote:Nah, manned fighters wouldn't be realistic. They'd need life support, windows, and wouldn't be able to accelerate more than 5G's or so without making to pilot black out. Drones just need sensors and would be able to evade almost anything since they are so small and maneuverable. Anti-drone drones could happen, but they probably wouldn't be able to one-shot the enemy drones, since they'd be designed to evade strong threats.

Inertial dampeners.

Not all species can produce an AI or remote control system that is as good as or superior to having an actual person on board, and sensors might not be as usefull as eyeballs in battle. Besides, tons of Sci-Fi shows have it, including ones I'd like to play out, and I love carrier battles, although mixing in some other types of ships makes it even cooler.
Last edited by Lestibournes on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThePsuedoMonkey

Postby ThePsuedoMonkey » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:11 am

Not a fan of "inertial dampeners" :cry:

I'd love to see some kind of BSG roleplay, but just trying to figure out the mechanics seems difficult. Something that big would have hundreds of rooms! Carriers need huge crews to function, but the Kestrel is a simple ~4 person craft. Now that I think about it, the Kestrel is basically an "ultra Raptor" :lol: I really just want to play FTL as it is now, and I'm relying on Kinetic Void to satisfy my desire for huge custom ships and carrier battles.
Lestibournes

Postby Lestibournes » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:00 pm

ThePsuedoMonkey wrote:Not a fan of "inertial dampeners" :cry:

I'd love to see some kind of BSG roleplay, but just trying to figure out the mechanics seems difficult. Something that big would have hundreds of rooms! Carriers need huge crews to function, but the Kestrel is a simple ~4 person craft. Now that I think about it, the Kestrel is basically an "ultra Raptor" :lol: I really just want to play FTL as it is now, and I'm relying on Kinetic Void to satisfy my desire for huge custom ships and carrier battles.

I like it too, but it doesn't make sense to me from the point of making it feel realistic or like one of the SciFi shows that all ships in the game are basically the size of a Star Trek Roundabout. There should be both bigger and smaller ships. In smaller ships the systems would be smaller, making it impossible to target only a specific system, so you can't take out just the engines, shields, and weapons without also totally destroying the ship. As to larger ships, that would require some modification to the UI to be able to view them properly. Stuff like zooming and scrolling might do the trick.
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:23 pm

Remember guys, the devs said, "Gameplay first, story/science second."
Oblibials

Red Tails Movie Download Link

Postby Oblibials » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:25 pm

How To Download Red Tails Movie Movie , http://my.opera.com/community/forums/to ... id=1421592 - Red Tails Movie film money , download film Red Tails
Lestibournes

Postby Lestibournes » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:34 pm

Warbird wrote:Remember guys, the devs said, "Gameplay first, story/science second."

I don't need a reminder. I'm not complaining, simply stating my wishes in the open, hoping the devs would pay attention and that somehow that would result in the game becoming even better.

"somehow": meaning even if they decide that what I want is bad, that just considering my thoughts would somehow result in a better game, like if they think about my suggestion, decide that it doesn't fit the game, and as a result make the design even tighter and more coherent.