Harder difficulties?

General discussion about the game.
Demiansky

Harder difficulties?

Postby Demiansky » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:23 pm

So for the life of me, I couldn't find any reference anywhere to a difficulty level harder than normal. I beat the game on normal on the first day, and while I totally love the game I was hoping for a greater challenge. Once I lost a few games by "learning the rules" (like learning that my crack team of mantis boarders won't be coming home from a drone that cloaks...) it was pretty easy beat the final boss most of the time.

I thought that maybe a "hard" difficulty might unlock once I beat normal the first time, but that wasn't the case. Am I missing something?
Zaffre

Re: Harder difficulties?

Postby Zaffre » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:25 pm

You want harder difficulties? Have you gone MAD?!
Demiansky

Postby Demiansky » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:39 pm

So I guess there aren't any harder difficulties? :-(
Eji1700

Postby Eji1700 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:45 pm

Demiansky wrote:So I guess there aren't any harder difficulties? :-(

Not yet no. Certain ships are sorta like harder difficulties in that they have more trouble at various points, but there's nothing yet that actually qualifies as a hard mode.
TJJ

Postby TJJ » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:47 pm

I see using the less powerful ship designs as being the next difficulty threshold.
Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen!
Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here!

Demiansky

Postby Demiansky » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:00 pm

TJJ, I guess so, but it does seem a little odd that you would try hard to get ships that suck more. I wonder if the game can be modded to be more difficult? I guess I'll dig through the files and see what I can find.
srulz

Postby srulz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:13 pm

@Demiansky: What ships are you using to beat Normal on a regular basis? Kestrel? Torus? Osprey?

Anyway, there are many more ships out there that had to be unlocked, and all of them had -very- different playstyle from the "common" ones above. So, why don't you try completing Normal using each of those ships first?

At least that's what I'm currently doing, and it's really fun! :) just got my 1st Normal win using Stealth-B, going for Engi-B next.
Demiansky

Postby Demiansky » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Yeah, my first win was from the Engi ship. I built it for "boarding action" first, then stacked defense and disable abilities. Pretty much all of my boarders died before I got to use them on the final boss, though, because I didn't realized that you couldn't teleport your boarders back from a cloaked ship (in this case, a probe, and they all died from oxygen deprivation when the probe cloaked. Normally you can knock out a probe's weapons immediately with boarders since there is no resistance, then teleport them back to your ship before oxygen deprivation kicks in). I still went on to win, though, even though I had to built my Engi ship for boarding action. Then I went on to win with a Kestrel and Stealth ship right afterwards. Oddly, I haven't been able to unlock the other ships other than, obviously, the Flagship (which I presumed would be pretty easy to win with).
jamotide

Postby jamotide » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:04 pm

I thought the same way after I won my third game, started out on normal right away. But now I know the first ships are sort of "easy" mode. Try playing with Engi B or Stealth Ship B, it is definitely the hard mode you seek.
Lee72

Postby Lee72 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:17 pm

You want hard? try playing Dwarf Fortress & not this! :roll: