[Poll] How much would you pay for DLC?

General discussion about the game.
ShadowDragon8685

[Poll] How much would you pay for DLC?

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:13 am

Assuming that they wanted to monetize everything but bugfixes, how much would you pay for the following:

A new ship: $
A new race: $
A new soundtrack: $
A new campaign: $
A suite of mod tools: $

Bear in mind, that "Nothing: I would not pay for this" is an acceptable answer, too.
Here's my answers:

A new ship: $1-2
A new race: Nothing. I would not pay for this. (Would maybe pay more if it came bundled with a new ship.)
A new soundtrack: $5
A new campaign: $7-10
A suite of mod tools: $10
Frustrated by random things beyond your control killing you?

Maxim 31: only cheaters prosper.
bladexj

Re: [Poll] How much would you pay for DLC?

Postby bladexj » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:19 am

A new ship: $.50-1
A new race: none (I think this is unnecessary)
A new soundtrack: $ 2-4
A new campaign: $ 5-10
A suite of mod tools: $ 5-10

I think a content pack would be better than individual DLC.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:55 am

You'd kind of need new sectors and events to accompany the new race and you make no mention of that. Have you taken that into account or not?
Hyomoto

Postby Hyomoto » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:30 am

I think this is a horrible question. Please examine the following statement. The developers asked for ten thousand dollars to complete their game, and were graced with two-hundred thousand dollars. Now ask yourself, how much do you make in a year? They are also making a salary off the sales for their game. I consider myself well enough off, but I don't earn a six figure salary. Your real poll should ask;

What should they spend the remaining one-hundred and ninety thousand dollars on? I'd expect a nickle and dime scheme from a large publisher looking to impress a board of investors, but not here.

Minecraft updates, all free. EVE Online expansions, all free. Your idea is morally bankrupt and sickens me. I'd be willing to spend money on a entire expansion or a sequel; you know, like we used to do before brain-dead console enthusiasts got so used to anti-consumer DLC practices that they just assumed it was natural they should look at their TV's like arcade machines. Go sit in a corner and think about what you've said for a while.
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:05 am

Gorlom wrote:You'd kind of need new sectors and events to accompany the new race and you make no mention of that. Have you taken that into account or not?

I'd assume that would be included part and parcel. I also stated I, personally, would not be willing to pay for new races.

Hyomoto wrote:I think this is a horrible question. Please examine the following statement. The developers asked for ten thousand dollars to complete their game, and were graced with two-hundred thousand dollars. Now ask yourself, how much do you make in a year? They are also making a salary off the sales for their game. I consider myself well enough off, but I don't earn a six figure salary. Your real poll should ask;

What should they spend the remaining one-hundred and ninety thousand dollars on? I'd expect a nickle and dime scheme from a large publisher looking to impress a board of investors, but not here.

Minecraft updates, all free. EVE Online expansions, all free. Your idea is morally bankrupt and sickens me. I'd be willing to spend money on a entire expansion or a sequel; you know, like we used to do before brain-dead console enthusiasts got so used to anti-consumer DLC practices that they just assumed it was natural they should look at their TV's like arcade machines. Go sit in a corner and think about what you've said for a while.

Thanks for getting preachy, bud. No really, thanks. I appreciate that. Everything I said before the word "Everything" was dripping with sarcasm, by the way.

The fact is that I want more - much more - out of FTL. If the devs find it in their hearts - or their wallets, given the metric assload of money that was thrown at them - to provide it for free, I will gladly take it all and then some.

Oh, and I'm an old-school PC gamer gamer. The newest game console I own is a PS2, and it was never hooked up to the internet. DLC sickened me when it first started and still does, but if it's the only game in town, you have to play it or do without, like or lump it.

Well, that or pirate it, but I'm not going there.

Also, at the very least, a suite of modding tools isn't something you can self-righteously demand and be clearly in the right. I'd be willing to pay for those.
Frustrated by random things beyond your control killing you?

Maxim 31: only cheaters prosper.
Kaerius

Postby Kaerius » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:35 am

bladexj wrote:I think a content pack would be better than individual DLC.

This.

But:
A new ship: Free-$.25 (Seriously I can mod that with 5-6 hours work, and I don't have their tools.)
A new race: none (I think this is unnecessary)
A new soundtrack: (I don't buy soundtracks)
A new campaign: $ 2.50
A suite of mod tools: (don't expect to pay for mod tools)
OrangeBottle

Postby OrangeBottle » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:21 am

0$. Precisely 0$. Payfor DLC is just a con used by overfed, bloated, profiteering development companies to make just that much more money, even though they've already made tons and could've released the 'DLC' as a patch. I personally hate DLC; the developer basically forces you to pay more money if you want to experience more of the same game, which is ludicrous because you already payed the price to play that game. When it comes to DLC, a DLC that gives you anything more than a cosmetic effect disgusts me. Skins are fine. Name changes are fine. New ships, races, an entirely new campaign? No.

Hyomoto wrote:I think this is a horrible question. Please examine the following statement. The developers asked for ten thousand dollars to complete their game, and were graced with two-hundred thousand dollars. Now ask yourself, how much do you make in a year? They are also making a salary off the sales for their game. I consider myself well enough off, but I don't earn a six figure salary. Your real poll should ask;

And you can stop it with the personal attacks. The guy just made a topic discussing how much/whether people would pay for DLC, and you go off and insult him and his topic? We don't need people like you on this forum. The door is that way. ->
Alblaka

Postby Alblaka » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:26 am

5€ for proper modding tools or enhanced moddability (new ships, ship selection, permitting creation of own augmentations and races (with effets)).
Anything else will become avaible by community, over time ^^
Greetz,
Alblaka
DrPyromaticGuy

Postby DrPyromaticGuy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:51 am

200 000$ from kickstarter (wanted 10 000$)
10$ Price of for the game itself.
And now the community wants DLC's which cost more than the game itself:
Battlefield 3 and Call Of Duty >4 in a nutshell.

I mean really, look at BF3, 50$ for the game itself and than 50$ for some premium only stuff so you can kill non-premiums easier?
BF2 costs 20$ with all the stuff and it doesn't give you any advantage when doing so.
And BF2 is even moddable, while BF3 is a lot harder (or impossible) to mod because the developers/puplisher wants YOU to buy all new Battlefield's + DLC's which are totally going to be the same as BF3 just with other maps.

Stuff like this is destroying games and I really don't want that it destroys FTL aswell.

Note: Iam not so sure about the numbers, but they go in the right direction.
Moosicorn

Postby Moosicorn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:41 am

I WANT IT ALL THERFOR 15 dollars for a large bundel ;)