[QUESTION] Less than 14, and not exactly 10?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Engi-nious

[QUESTION] Less than 14, and not exactly 10?

Postby Engi-nious » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:41 am

So I was messing around with player ships, and had some particularly small layouts in mind (for... important modding reasons.)
Specifically, we're talking as small as 5 rooms in some cases. Making the ships "bigger" would effectively destroy the gimmick so nobody suggest that please? XD

Now, obviously that presents issues when it comes to system purchases - if I haven't specified where a system goes and try to buy it anyway that's bound to cause a crash.

Many other small ship mods (at least that I have found) use a technique where they just edit the unwanted systems out of the store. This isn't an option (I would be using hyperspace to add these in, so all the default ships will still be available and I am endeavoring to to affect their gameplay experiences.)

The only solution I can think of is to make pretty much every store event conditional, and then give small ships a compulsory augment that the event checks for before doing some disgusting form of text-event store instead. I'd really like not to do this, especially because it would be nice to have some ships buy certain systems that are available to them.

Ideally I would love a way to create ship-specific "maximum system limits" - I am almost certain this is impossible, but it gives some idea what I'm going for. Restrict the specific systems available on a per-ship basis. I would also prefer if I didn't have to do something hacky like layering them beneath other rooms or anything, but I'm open to suggestions nonetheless.

tl;dr: Is there any way to effectively create player ships with less than 14 rooms (and not exactly 10, thought of that already) that does not impact on the game if I should choose instead to play as any vanilla ship?

(I would post this in the subforum's question thread, but everyone seems to be asking questions as separate topics anyway.)
This (hyper)space intentionally left blank.
bamalf

Re: [QUESTION] Less than 14, and not exactly 10?

Postby bamalf » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:26 am

You can make a ship that has a maximum of systems already at the start, then it cannot install new ones.
Image Image Image
Engi-nious

Postby Engi-nious » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:22 am

bamalf wrote:You can make a ship that has a maximum of systems already at the start, then it cannot install new ones.

That's true, but then wouldn't I need at least 8 systems? To my knowledge there is no way of reducing that cap, so a player ship can have, say, six rooms in total without requiring store tweaks. Perhaps I am wrong though.
Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:35 am

Engi-nious wrote:If I haven't specified where a system goes and try to buy it anyway that's bound to cause a crash.

I just want to clarify, that is not the case. If you try to buy a system on a ship where said system has not been assigned on the ship, it doesn't break the game at all. The only problem is that it will take away scrap as if you did purchase the system, but it doesn't give it to you.
You could simply not include the systems, then warn the player either in game or on the forum post to not buy certain extra systems as they aren't assigned.
bamalf

Postby bamalf » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:31 am

You need. In this case, I have no more ideas.
Image Image Image
Engi-nious

Postby Engi-nious » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:46 am

Jumbocarrot0 wrote:
Engi-nious wrote:If I haven't specified where a system goes and try to buy it anyway that's bound to cause a crash.

I just want to clarify, that is not the case. If you try to buy a system on a ship where said system has not been assigned on the ship, it doesn't break the game at all. The only problem is that it will take away scrap as if you did purchase the system, but it doesn't give it to you.
You could simply not include the systems, then warn the player either in game or on the forum post to not buy certain extra systems as they aren't assigned.

Neat! I would have to think of a lore-friendly way to tell people "hey, you can't actually buy this" but it's something.
In any case, sounds like that's going to be my only alternative. Thanks!
fdagpigj

Postby fdagpigj » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:58 am

You can put more than one system in one room. I don't remember the exact consequences of doing this, I think one is that it makes it so only one of those systems can be manned and repaired by crew so you'd need other means of system repair (eg. repair drones, AI ship autorepair, repair bomb), and another that the icons will be overlapping.