Custom Ship Hulls?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
TheSubsetGamer

Custom Ship Hulls?

Postby TheSubsetGamer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:58 pm

I use Superluminal to create custom ships, but I still haven't figured out a way to create custom hulls for my ships. Help?
Thanks fellow gamers!
5thHorseman

Re: Custom Ship Hulls?

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:26 am

My ships are old and I don't even know if they work anymore, but they all* have custom hulls (art I assume you're talking about) so you can see how the images look and are defined in the files, if you just check my ships out.

*Actually I think the simo-v uses the simo-h hull, so don't check that one out :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
TheSubsetGamer

Postby TheSubsetGamer » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:17 pm

Can you be more specific? How do you make the custom images? Do you use a specific program? Sorry, I'm new at this :D
Thanks fellow gamers!
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:53 am

TheSubsetGamer wrote:Can you be more specific? How do you make the custom images? Do you use a specific program? Sorry, I'm new at this :D

Just any drawing program. You can even use MSPaint, though The Gimp would probably be better if you know how to use it. "How do I do computer art" is a bit of an advanced topic for these forums, though :) And I'm no good at it. I can rework slightly something someone else did, but I could never draw my own from scratch.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
TheSubsetGamer

Postby TheSubsetGamer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:44 pm

5thHorseman wrote:
TheSubsetGamer wrote:Can you be more specific? How do you make the custom images? Do you use a specific program? Sorry, I'm new at this :D

Just any drawing program. You can even use MSPaint, though The Gimp would probably be better if you know how to use it. "How do I do computer art" is a bit of an advanced topic for these forums, though :) And I'm no good at it. I can rework slightly something someone else did, but I could never draw my own from scratch.

Do you use the same program to rework already existing ships?
Thanks fellow gamers!
AgentTHeKat

Postby AgentTHeKat » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:53 pm

I know that this is a month old thread but it never got a response.
TheSubsetGamer wrote:Do you use the same program to rework already existing ships?

GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) can be used for all of your FTL sprite making needs. It can be used for splicing (taking parts from different ships and putting together in a different way) or hand-drawing them. FTL obviously had a much low-res style, which means making hulls is actually really easy when you get good at it (i.e. pixel perfect sprites). I'm not going to go too in depth, but here's a quick crash-course:
For beginners, you're gonna wanna start with splicing. A good first step is taking all the the gibs from a ship you want to parts from and cleaning them up (removing the metally bits). Alternatively, find an image with all of them someone has already made. Keep in mind: there will always be people (like me, tbh) who will say that your spliced fed ship with rebel part suck, but really if it works it works.
Here's what you need to know for gimp. When you first open gimp, its pretty intimidating, but getting used to it is worth it in the long run. When you open multiple images, they appear in tabs. You can copy and paste between tabs, thats important. Using the rectangle tool you can select and area, then do ctrl+c to copy. holding crtl+shift+alt drags it around. Make a new image, and copy-paste each gib onto your new image. ctrl+shift+n creates a new layer, which is useful but could be a bit confusing to work out. Drag around you gibs for a bit until you get something that looks removely like a ship. You'll get better at it eventually.
Even if OP doesnt end up seeing this (since it's a month late), I hope this helps someone.
It's me, one of those Multiverse Devs!
Do you have a ship sprite you aren't sure about? Do you think it could be better, but aren't sure how?
Contact me on discord (AgentTheKat#1953), and I'll see what I can do! It's kind of my thing.