[Squads, Unmaintained] Arfy Squad Collection

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional.
Arfy

[Squads, Unmaintained] Arfy Squad Collection

Postby Arfy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:38 am

This post contains 7 squads which I have neglected to upload to any sort of site outside of Discord; for the most part, these squads are relatively old and display how my abilities to make Into the Breach mods have changed. If you want to read each squad's backstory (which are a fairly short read), then you can view it here on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/IntoTheBreach/ ... ollection/

If you encounter any bugs or issues with any of these squads, please report them to me. Also, please post/provide any constructive criticism you may have.
If you have any ideas for squad ideas/weapon ideas/basically any mod ideas let me know and I'll take it into consideration and then (probably) make it!

DOWNLOAD
Last edited by Arfy on Thu May 21, 2020 1:21 am, edited 7 times in total.
Discord: ATLAS#9226
Djinn

Re: [Squad, Pack] Arfy Squad Collection

Postby Djinn » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:27 am

ImageImageImageImageImage
Did some unofficial sprites for Fearstormers, Bloodweavers and Manacasters! Similarly unofficial downloads for them can be found here:
-Fearstormers-
-Bloodweavers-
-Manacasters-
-Time Warpers-
-Atomic Guardians-
ALEATORIVM

Postby ALEATORIVM » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:59 pm

When I start the game a message pops up
It says "Unable to mount mod at [arfy_squad_collection]: cannot open mods/arfy_squad_collection/scripts/init.lua: No such file or directory"
Arfy

Postby Arfy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:18 pm

ALEATORIVM wrote:When I start the game a message pops up
It says "Unable to mount mod at [arfy_squad_collection]: cannot open mods/arfy_squad_collection/scripts/init.lua: No such file or directory"

You need to extract the squads themselves from the folder "arfy_squad_collection".
Discord: ATLAS#9226
ALEATORIVM

Postby ALEATORIVM » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:54 pm

Arfy wrote:You need to extract the squads themselves from the folder "arfy_squad_collection".

Thank you
Robert Scythe

Postby Robert Scythe » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:20 pm

Hello, Arfy! I think I am going to enjoy playing all of these but so far I have only tried the Time Warpers. Cannot tell if they are balanced well or not since I stupidly used the obviously overpowered Mafan with 2 cores on the Warp Mech. Attack anywhere and block a spawn with the Time Shift upgrade. Man, Mafan is cheesy cheap, don't think I will use him ever again as a starter pilot but I only just (finally) unlocked him the game before and wanted to try him. Only did a 3 island hard because I had all the upgrades with perfect isle runs, and did I mention 2 core Mafan is OP as hell? Anyway I ran into some issues (bugs?) that may or may not be purposeful:

1. With the Time Shift upgrade sometimes the mech was able to move before teleporting. Now not a huge deal but it allows for certain situations like grabbing the Time Pod or moving off the tile it's on so that it can teleport back on to better utilize the push. Don't know what triggers it but one can limit themselves from exploiting it since it is not a major problem.
2. When there are already 2 anchors on the board the Temporal Mech can still fire a 'pseudo anchor' out to use the push ability.
3. Sometimes the Time Smash stops a unit from ever acting again. Not sure if attacking it on the penultimate turn will stop it completely or what. A suggestion may be to only stop the current attack phase instead. It will make it more difficult but these guys seem to be able to handle things fairly well.

I had a great time playing them since there is a lot of thinking involved with their kits and it was very satisfying mentally. Next time I play them I will NOT use that silly Zoltan. Great idea and design, Arfy. And I need to shout out to Djinn for making the experience more unique with his (her?) sprite work.
Last edited by Robert Scythe on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Scythe

Postby Robert Scythe » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:41 pm

Well, I just did a 3 Island Hard with the Bloodweavers, another very fun squad. I like their odd self damage mixed with the big hits that the Biotech Mech can pull out. After a couple of practice starts to get used to them I had a very good run though only the first isle was perfect. I chose to put Abe in the Siphon since it seemed the hardest to take care of while it was setting up its artillery weapon fire (though Ariadne may have been a better choice with all the burning tiles they create), love the concept of having to push enemies around to gain team health. Did not expect the Welding Mech's Plasma Torch projectiles upgrade to be so double edged, more tactical thinking required on that one. Good science mech design with no damage upgrades just proper positioning enforced. Loved saving the pilots by healing the disabled mechs and being able to take another action, crazy! Wish I found the self destruct item that could've been badass. Did not find any issues with them, seem very well designed. Thanks again, Arfy! And, of course, Djinn.
Last edited by Robert Scythe on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Scythe

Postby Robert Scythe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:12 pm

Atomic Guardians assessment and run report. I expected these guys to be less effective than the Flame Behemoths, especially without the utility of the Swap, but it turns out that they have really good synergy with each other and radiation isn't just some silly wanna be fire. it is both more difficult to use for the feature of not doing damage until after the enemies finish their attacks, yet more effective with stacking the levels and manipulating the board. The Fission's main effect on its attack is the smoke cloud that cancels the target tiles attack. That and the radiation damage plus the 3 orthogonal push offer unique tactical plotting. The Projectiles upgrade make it even more painstaking with maybe not enough of an advantage for the 2 core cost but still feels like a decent upgrade. The Irradiation Mech is a utilitarian artillery push attack with limited range (that would be one of the least useful custom/random squad choices after the Meteor) and is very in-line with their playstyle of Rad. Damage and board manipulation with good upgrades. The Fusion, however, is the ace in the hole. With its double shot that both deliver push and can be fired in different directions, its damage output is way less important. Not sure if its upgrades are all that useful, though, since its 2 self damage effect seems rather meh because the damage it deals relies on radiation levels of enemies affected and is really just a Pulse Mech push that MIGHT do some damage, and the 3 core Combine Shot, though I did not test, looks, by description, to limit its fire to 1 bigger shot that may not be as tactically sound as its base attacks.

I played a 3 perfect isle hard run and was delighted at how their thoughtful attacks synergized. Their damage output was not quite as low as I expected and probably would compare well to the Rusting Hulks, though with even less direct damage. The Fusion's ability to push twice saved the day in the majority of maps even when the second shot was not used. I found a pull tank on the 2nd island that I placed in the Irradiation Mech that I took to the end, though never got to use on either level of the Volcano but proved itself useful up until then. At the end of the same island I bought a Force Amp that made the Fusion even more of a star even though its MVP move was on the 2nd level of the Volcano when it pushed a leader Vek onto an insta-kill tile and then shot an alpha scarab into the lava! I did not do the 4th island because it was late and I wasn't sure how I would fare with the Burrowers inhabiting that area. Wish I did, though, both to find out if they could be dispatched without easily acquired direct damage and if the radiation stays on them after they burrow as opposed to fire.

Only thing I would wish for is that the radiation damage happened before the Vek vacate the area, to help with minimum kill fulfillments and pilot experience but this is very minor. All in all another quite entertaining playthrough with an Arfy mod squad and Djinn sprite support. Thanks guys!
Last edited by Robert Scythe on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Scythe

Postby Robert Scythe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:32 pm

Then there's the Fearstormers. I know Arfy stated that these were boring to create but they may have been even more dull and boring to play, mainly due to the Fear Mech. With his upgrade there really isn't much to do since any unit just has to be in one of the 8 tiles surrounding an attacking unit to stop their attack. Diggers just stop themselves for their boulders. If anything still manages to be clear to attack, the Signal Mech can stop that. Don't know why the Ambush Mech's grapple can phase through buildings/(mountains?) because I never used it that way once. No need to even kill anything because the more cluttered battlefield just works in the Fear Mech's favor. Only trouble I had was killing an HQ leader because I forgot to get rid of the Blood Psion first and couldn't do enough damage at that stage. Even Arfy's overpowered Aquamarines had more thought and entertainment value than these guys. Well, not every design can be a winner (like most of Arfy's). Good spritework from Djinn, though.
Robert Scythe

Postby Robert Scythe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:13 pm

Ok, having a problem with the Manacasters. For some reason both the Dualcaster and Earth Mech's first attack on every mission freezes before applying the default effects, which is screwing up everything. This may also apply to the Frost Mech but since its attack is already a freeze effect it is redundant and I cannot see if it has been affected by this. I will test to see if it is due to Djinn's unofficial download for his sprites addition or not, but for now they feel unplayable to the degree of their weapon descriptions.

Edit: Well, this is happening with both the original download and Djinn's unofficial so I won't try to play them until it is fixed (hopefully). I know that Arfy mentioned that they may be a bit imbalanced but I wanted to try them anyway. Djinn's spritework is fitting but a bit goofy looking, I get the humour but it isn't that interesting for immersion.

Thanks again. Hoping to play these and any other creations soon!