The one flaw (pilot skill randomization)

General discussion about the game.
sh4dow

The one flaw (pilot skill randomization)

Postby sh4dow » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:30 am

First off, congratulations on the amazing game!

I've been playing it a lot lately (duh ;) ) and the only thing I don't like is the pilot skill randomization.
I feel that those should've been either fixed or selectable by the player.

They should be well balanced anyway, so it's not like the player would get some advantage? (Aside from not pulling his hair out because he keeps getting skills he doesn't want ;) )
5thHorseman

Re: The one flaw (pilot skill randomization)

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:54 am

If you allow the player to pick, everybody will pick reactor and move, probably in that order, every time.

Except in those rare cases where you're going for the 30 grid defense achievement or something like that.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
sh4dow

Postby sh4dow » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:55 am

Alright, if you're convinced that the reactor skill is OP, it should've simply been removed...
DGM

Postby DGM » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:04 pm

The problem with that is that there aren't enough learnable skills to begin with. I think there's just 4: +1 reactor, +1 move, +2 HP, and +3 grid defense. Pilots frequently end up with the same skillset at level 3 (aside from their uniques) as it is, and if you cut back to 3 skills there's almost no point in even assigning 2 randomly.

To the devs: as a quick fix I would suggest letting pilots get the same skill twice. That will raise the number of combinations from 6 to 16 with no further effort. I'd still try to add 1 or 2 more, though.
Vectorz

Postby Vectorz » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:16 am

I would like to be able to choose skills, say between two offered. It would allow to steer builds a bit, perhaps even open up a grid defence build where all Mechs get +3....

But admittedly, it would require having some more pilot skills, with the current selection it is fairly straight forward.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:21 am

I never said +1 Reactor was OP. I said it was the best option. Best =/= OP.

All I'm saying is by making them random, you get a bit of the "working with what you have" that was my favorite part of FTL and is my favorite part of ItB. Removing that will make the game worse, in my opinion.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:50 pm

Maybe it should be for the Special Pilots; the ones you get from Time Pods or Perfect Islands can stay the same and your starting pilots don't get any choice in what Skills they get...
And perhaps even allowing the same Skill twice so you can potentially get 2 Reactor Power from one person or two extra movement.

But that's just wishful thinking and I like the current system. As 5thHorseman said, being given a choice would remove the randomness and probably make the game worse.
jinggler

Postby jinggler » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:09 pm

I know its early, but I'm sincerely hoping that Subset releases an expansion a la FTL Advanced Edition. Although I am generally very happy with the options, randomization and balance of the game, it wouldn't hurt to have several additional learned pilot skills and options to make pilot randomization more interesting and investment oriented.