Power Generators...

General discussion about the game.
Warbird

Re: Power Generators...

Postby Warbird » Wed May 23, 2012 3:43 am

Justin wrote:But something I'd love to see (in someone else's game, lol) is having your reactor, your backup reactor all for a much larger ship, but also see power lines like in Sim City. Certain saboteurs or damage would cut the power from a certain point in the line, so you'd have to reroute power from another system or sector, but therefore maybe overtaxing that one reactor line and it gets 1/2 the power. Oh man. Intense.

That reminds me, what is the team's stance toward modding tools? Post release of course.
Drasha

Postby Drasha » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 am

It would be hard to strike the right balance on the power generator. You could make it so destroying a generator disabled 25-50% of the ships power like when you are in a storm so it is not the best target to go after. Would give you the option of letting your enemy chose 2-3 systems to take down to re balance power vs choosing which system to take down.

If you made it an optional system like the teleporter that you could add to the ship and have it give 1 power to all of your systems with a second upgrade for 2 power to all of your systems I think it would also strike a nice balance.

The other wishy washy ideas I had that I don't like as much as the second idea would to make damaging empty rooms effect power so they were more of a target and possibly adding an undamagable power controller to the ship that boarding parties could capture to disable the ships power.
send me a message with a link if you see spam and I will take care of it.
PirateCat

Postby PirateCat » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:36 am

I think it would be best to have your power bars on the left side be completely tied to a in-game on-ship generator. Either on a one to one hit point per bar of power or 1 hit point for 2 bars of power, which might be best with the way ion storms work. Each point of damage to your generator would remove one empty and one full bar. Either way it would mean you'd have to start making tough power decisions as it takes damage. Do you keep your shields at full, or keep power flowing to your weapons that are almost charged, hoping to do enough damage with that salvo to buy a little time to repair it? It would help if you tell the game your priorities on power. A power priority list where you tell it you want power flowing to your weapons as a primary priority, your shields secondary, your cloak tertiary, and all other systems are less important.
ice

Postby ice » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:11 am

Necro much?
I always have this great idea to post about when reading a thread, but I always seem to loose the subject while writing a reply, and end up not saying anything at all. I should sleep more. Is that a cookie?
boran_blok

Postby boran_blok » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:08 am

Notice that the Initial Necro of this thread is a spambot.

(This forum is overrun with them)

Edit: there seems to be no report button enabled on the forum either.
anhquansei

Postby anhquansei » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:45 am

What i think is each damage deals to reactor it would reduce your power by one. Fair enough?
Alblaka

Postby Alblaka » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:04 pm

This was pretty much one of the few points I entirely disliked.
'So, I can shoot every single system off a ship, BUT the actual reactor itself? Meh...'

PLEASE add a reactor 'system' room. And eventually enhance the boarding AI to target this room more often.

Since you can up to 25 'bar's of reactor, I would recommend to code the reactor room to have 8 bars max. For every bar destroyed, your ship looses up to 3 points of power. 1 point of energy should always be avaible, aka 'emergency energy'.
Eventually add the suggest augments to either flat-out increase the amount of energy produced by 1-2, regardless of reactor state, or make the augmentation prevent the last bar of a reactor being destroyed. Or add a reactor-self-repair or whatever.

I strongly support anything that will lead to disabling enemy ship's reactor cores :§

edit:
boran_blok wrote:Notice that the Initial Necro of this thread is a spambot.

herpderp.
Well, I still support this being implemented... though I doubt they intend to rework the game much after it's now present release ^^'
Greetz,
Alblaka
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:50 am

We're being overrun with spam!

That said, I think generators might be a good idea - generators plural! Every ship might have a few different ones, balancing the load as equally as they can given the total number of bars being generated.

Thus, taking out the generators is a good idea, but not necessarily the best idea. It would take roughly as much effort to take out, say, 1/3 to 1/5th (depending on the ship) of a ship's power as it would to, say, just take all of its weapon systems offline. Depending on how the enemy prioritizes their power, they can still frag with you, possibly without an interruption at all in their volume of fire, if they're willing to sacrifice other things (like shields or engines.)
Frustrated by random things beyond your control killing you?

Maxim 31: only cheaters prosper.
ultramoose

Postby ultramoose » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:00 am

how about some sort of energy field.
put it in a weapon slot. give it a charge like a weapon, and a power cost. each cycle of the weapon 'banks' the power into the capacitor. so long as the capacitor remains active other weapons can use its power bank if the weapon system gets blown to crap. obviously without manned bonuses.

so the capacitor can be placed in first position in the weapons. making them have to kill all your weapon system before they take out any of your guns, if you have the cap banked. of course. Using your FTL drive disperses the saved powered with the ftl engine blast or whatever:P.

you can show the capacitor visually by making it take up a room square in the weapon system room, not unlike an onboard drone. and there by also display its charge, like with weapons.

also, should read a whole thread lol
Joush

Postby Joush » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:52 am

With the current game logic generators would be rather durable. Like.. as durable as the ship they are installed in at the top level. If it had a health block for every unit of power it could produce (like other systems get a durability per level) you'd be looking at 30 damage to fully knock out a top level power plant. As far as it goes though, it seems like it would add a lot of work to redistrubte power when it took a hit.