FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
mr_easy_money

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.298b/Inf 1.28/EL 1.298

Postby mr_easy_money » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:10 am

something else confusing happening with endless loot:

in the standard CE version there is this loadout:

whereas in the CE Infinite version there is this loadout (which follows from the regular CE loadout and isn't annoying to use):

the immediate questions are, why is there a difference? and, are there more unnoticed differences between the two (which should be almost identical in this regard)? (e.g. my previous reply about engi c)
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:29 pm

I noticed that CE Infinite's 'misc.xml' file has just a '.append' extension instead of a '.rawappend' extension, leading to lack of spaces in tooltips, such as Fleet Delayed by 5jumps or Level1, Level2, etc. for system tooltips. another oversight?
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Good finds, update will probably happen at some point this week.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:20 am

mr_easy_money wrote:in the standard CE version there is this loadout {Warping Ion Burst I, Warping Ion Burst I, Extended Bardiche}

whereas in the CE Infinite version there is this loadout (which follows from the regular CE loadout and isn't annoying to use) {Upgraded Ion Burst I, Volatile Pernach Beam}

Sleeper Service wrote:Yep, that's an oversight, will get fixed.

remember when I said the CE Infinite version follows from the regular CE loadout? yeah it doesn't, ion burst i and pernach is from an old version of the CE Zoltan B, as you may know.

which evidently leads to changing the EL CE Infinite version to the EL standard CE version, to which I say absolutely no :evil:

this is because warping versions of the Ion Burst I (shield pierce +1, cooldown x1.6 = 24s), however theoretically good, don't work well. here's why:

the regular CE version has two ion burst I's and a bardiche beam, which syncs up well because the timings between the bardiche and the ion burst are pretty close to each other.
as you know, this setup morphs vanilla's loadout, sending more ions before the beam, but as a counter-balance, the beam isn't as good as the pike, along with the fact that you can't fire the ions again since they take more time than the beam to recharge.

the problem with the warping versions of the ion burst i is that they are just too lethargic to use since they don't pair well timing wise with the 13 second bardiche @ 24 seconds.

the Endless Loot loadout is simply a total pain to use as it takes way too long to get the ions going, and by the time they do, you might've taken damage and then the benefit you get from waiting that long doesn't really help you that much -- sure the shield pierce helps, but then you gotta wait another 24 seconds to fire, instead of 15 seconds, especially if you take damage just for waiting, since you don't have cloaking like you do for the similarly timed Glaive or Maul Beam on stealth B.

I haven't actually used the regular CE loadout, but I assume its much more reliable to use as its weapons pair well like I said, which makes it as viable lategame as the vanilla loadout is.

I just feel that the starting loadouts in Endless Loot should stay similar in terms of strategy to the regular CE loadouts, just slightly different obviously because you've got EL prefixes. it's just that warping makes too much of a difference that it completely changes the strategy to something else, whatever that is :roll:

--- :edit;

I'd make a similar case for the Slug B, since the replicator prefix suffers the same form of lethargy and the upgraded healing burst doesn't really make up for that. Obviously though, the replicator does make the minelauncher not require missiles, which sort of helps, but not really since you have the same level of lethargy as above and even worse so, the projectile might miss altogether, which makes very slow weapons that can miss something to think about especially if they take over 20 seconds.

sure something like the ares missile takes long to fire, but having a long cooldown weapon (again, that isn't a beam/can miss) in the starting loadout? 28 seconds is quite long, which makes previously sort-of destroy-able auto-ships much harder to take down.

with regards to the (replicator) prefix itself, I have mixed thoughts. while taking away the missile requirement does seems like a big thing as you don't need missiles anymore, while even though missiles are easier to use in CE, they can still take scrap, so not needing missiles at all for the damage dealer seems big. the problem however, is that the prefix makes the weapon way too lethargic to use, which makes you wonder if the previous point I just made is actually valid... :roll:

--- :edit2;

oh, and I was going to say this before, but I noticed @Sleeper Service your signature is different now, a lot smaller, making it nicer to look at, and also showcases more things at once
blancfaye7

Postby blancfaye7 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:41 am

Hello. I am a huge fan of FTL, and I am very happy to find the Captain's Edition Mod.

I found a rather annoying bug when I Save to Main Menu then exit game.

When I relaunch FTL CE, the events on the specific sector I exited from have... changed.
E.G. I was in a store, where in I am in a menu of choosing trade goods. I exited from there, then when I came back, I received... a free weapon out of nowhere, and the trade goods menu have disappeared.
Being annoyed by this, I was cautious too when this happened.

The next time I went to another Store sector, I made it clear to myself to buy trade goods whenever the menu pops up.
Checked the store, saw crew members being sold. Saw a good crew member but I decided to buy him later so I exited the game.
When I came back to the game again, The crew member list changed!!!
The names changed, even the skill sets and even their color! The races remained intact, though.
I tried to exit the game again but when I came back the crew list persisted this time.
I did this again when I went to the Store of another new sector, and I have confirmed that the crew list DOES change the first time you exit the game, but if you exit the game twice from there on out, the crew data in store persists.

There was this another bug where I need to take a break from FTL, and I was in the Flagship Sector. I was on the 2nd phase of Rebel Flagship.
When I exited the game and came back again after a few hours, the Flagship was... acting weird.
I chose to wait at Base sector, but the Flagship was going away!
It went to another Sector, and this sector is just a random-rebel-taken sector.
This is where Flagship was attracted, BUT with a message on the top: "Number of turns before Base is destroyed: 3".
I was surprised... I mean, come on. Somehow that random sector is treated as THE BASE.
Another weird thing is that Flagship isn't staying there for more than 1 turn.
The moment he reaches that point, when the player ship moves or waits, he moves to another sector, then goes back in there with the message.

This could be minor bugs, but it's heavily affecting me, even when I am at that point where I can defeat rebel Flagship once and for all.
It's annoying... Ugh. Not that I care so much since this will just make me play FTL more. :P

I only read the first post of this thread (no way I am going to read all through this just to find out if it is an unsolvable bug).
So... is this reported yet or not? Is it solvable? I hope it is...

BTW, this is a nice mod :) I hope it becomes perfect sooner. I'm surprised that even in 2017 there are updates of the mod!

I wanted to report that some Dropbox links aren't working anymore. Can you please re-upload them? I want to DL those mods (one mod is the vanilla sector names mod).

EDIT: When the Stealth Drones attack, I don't see any beam coming out from them. Is this normal or...?

EDIT 2: I would also like to help in spell checks, but it uses github; I have a general knowledge in Git, but I don't know the regular protocols in github.
I only know of:
1. Create a Fork.
2. Edit Files.
3. Merge request?
Am I correct on this one?

EDIT 3: I also noticed that applying the Infinite Add-on patch to CE has some bugs regarding crew portraits/skins. I noticed that the Slugs don't have the Clothed skins anymore after applying Infinite Add-on. Removing the patch solves the issue. Fixable? I really want to Clothed Slug skins... and the muscular Rock. The muscular Rocks are also missing!
Last edited by blancfaye7 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current Written Work: Planet Gradius
Zoltan4life

Postby Zoltan4life » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:07 am

Hi there! I've been putting about 100 hours into the Captain's Edition by now, and I'd like to provide some feedback. First of all, I really like the whole package, in particular all of the new events and sectors. They really improve the game immensely. The pixelart is great as well. I really only have one major issue with the mod:

If this is possible, I think you should make it so every store carries weapons. In vanilla FTL, almost all weapons were very straight-forward, meaning that whenever a store sold weapons you were pretty much guaranteed to be able to improve your arsenal. In the Captain's Edition, many weapons are very situational, and the fact that there's so many more than in the original game means it is much more likely to get "duplicates" in stores. Pretty much the primary reason why I lose games is because the last six dealers I visited sold nothing which makes sense for my respective loadout (Great, thanks for another round of plasma throwers, light lasers and artillery lasers when I just need something simple to deplete shields).
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:59 am

Zoltan4life wrote:
If this is possible, I think you should make it so every store carries weapons. In vanilla FTL, almost all weapons were very straight-forward, meaning that whenever a store sold weapons you were pretty much guaranteed to be able to improve your arsenal. In the Captain's Edition, many weapons are very situational, and the fact that there's so many more than in the original game means it is much more likely to get "duplicates" in stores. Pretty much the primary reason why I lose games is because the last six dealers I visited sold nothing which makes sense for my respective loadout (Great, thanks for another round of plasma throwers, light lasers and artillery lasers when I just need something simple to deplete shields).

Sadly it isn't. However there are some events where you can run into a pirate smuggler or a weapons trader and buy an unknown weapon that way or a small list of weapons. But as far as I know the store is unmodable besides the price of fuel, ammo, drone parts, etc.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Nighty

Postby Nighty » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:53 pm

Welcome, wanted to report a bug, here's over 600 pages so not realy going to check all of them, didn't had this problem when played this game like half year ago so...

The bug is, it crashes, to the exit is only 1 star and while jumping to that star, game crashes, it just freezez and never responds, there is animation of ship jumping, but it never teleports, it freezes in that state, will attach save file. (seems can't attach save file, well)
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.299/Inf 1.299/EL 1.299

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:12 pm

Nighty wrote:The bug is, it crashes, to the exit is only 1 star and while jumping to that star, game crashes, it just freezez and never responds, there is animation of ship jumping, but it never teleports, it freezes in that state, will attach save file. (seems can't attach save file, well)
Thanks for reporting in. Do you still have the sector name for where this happened? (Save game isn't that relevant, or at least I don't know any ways to analyse crashes by looking at save game data)

Update 1.299 is here, covering most of the stuff mentioned in the last pages. I think I missed one spelling error in a rather rare background tooltip (only came across the report after uploading). That will still get fixed eventually. Let me know in case anything didn't work out.

CE Resource Pack 1.299
- Corrected some spelling errors in fixed background graphics

CE Update 1.299
- Added decline option for Lanius deconstruction event after negotiating a better deal
- Pulled latest spell checking from github
- Fixed some more typos mentioned in the thread
- Fixed some backgrounds not using the _REAL list

CE Infinite Addon 1.299
- Fixed misc file not being rawappend
- Fixed some visual changes to crew not taking effect

CE Endless Loot 1.299 for CE and CE Endless Loot 1.298 for CE Infinite
- Fixed Serve Drones not being named as such
- Fixed bad weapon ID on Engi Type C
- Fixed Zoltan B not using the current loadout in infinite version
- Switched one Ion Burst on Zoltan B to Quickshot
- Switched Ball Minelauncher on Slug B to Hull Ripper