FTL Rules Of Thumb

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
TheDreadedPirateTuco

Re: FTL Rules Of Thumb

Postby TheDreadedPirateTuco » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:38 pm

Scrap problems.
I had no extra systems cuz I procrastinated
LaytheDragon

Postby LaytheDragon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:35 pm

94: When luck is good, Ruwen either won't be found or will be found too late in the game to find the Rock Homeworlds with. When luck is bad, but there is just enough to get to each next sector with, Ruwen will come to you, and the sector map layout will make it likely to find the Rock Homeworlds.

95: When one wants Lanius crewmembers very much so, there will be no acquirable Laniuses/Lanii to be found in the Abandoned Sector, or the only acquirable Laniuses/Lanii will be found at times when one doesn't have enough scrap to purchase them.

(Example: I went through two Abandoned Sectors in a row in the Lanius Cruiser Type A once (where I had kicked out the non-Lanius and never powered oxygen), and found not one Lanius crewmember for my ship. I fought and beat the Flagship http://i.imgur.com/gGV34Ln.jpg with only two Lanius crewmembers and a System Repair Drone. I've had other experiences with this, too.)

96: That triple laser you left the last Flagship crewmember in on non-hard mode, and didn't destroy with your boarding party? When you are shredding the Flagship to pieces with an unfairly overpowered setup in the third stage, and you have no cloak (or it is recharging still due to bad cloak usage timing), it will strike at the same time as the laser barrage surge, with at least one laser shot getting through, sometimes breaking your otherwise-winning ship into pieces.

97: Boarded the Flagship's Triple-Missile with a full 4-being teleporter in non-hard mode? Two of your crewmembers are now being slaughtered in the main section of the Flagship. Boarded the missile with only 2 crewmembers, but then mind-controlled the enemy? Good, you have found the flip to this, and the enemy missile human is now rogue in the main body of the Flagship. Mind-control the enemy in the Triple Ion while two of your crewmembers are already fighting in that room, and you have caused the Triple-Ion guy to battle the Triple-Laser guy in the Triple-Laser room.

98: Already have the Crystal Cruiser? You will find more stasis pods, open them to get Ruwen more often, and generally be luckier in the quest than before. It is not useful to have two damaged stasis pods, unless you think you'll be lucky enough to open both, and it is also the early game, but getting two stasis pods with a non-Rock cruiser will be all the more common.

99: Watch out for Anti-Drones. They will magically be there to shoot down your newly-deployed Fire drone when enemy shields are down and you least expect their existence.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:54 pm

100 - If you never use missiles, this is how many you'll have at the end. And no fuel or Drone Parts. Seriously, the enemies will throw both missile weapons and resources.

101 - If you have both Hacking and Mind Control, the Flagship will destroy one of them when you need it most and cost you your entire run no matter how much firepower you brought to the table.
TheDreadedPirateTuco

Postby TheDreadedPirateTuco » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:05 am

ALL of the rules is a nutshell:

If you need/want/beg for something, the game will throw as many solar flares/Zoltan Great Eyes/Giant Alien Spiders/Bl2 monster ships as physically impossible.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:44 am

102 - A store with a [Wanted item here] will pop up the next jump after you have splurged most of your scrap on upgrades.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:33 pm

102a: This store will be right next to the store you visited.
TheDreadedPirateTuco

Postby TheDreadedPirateTuco » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:57 pm

102b. It also happens when you don't need something super powerful in your build. If you don't need it, that's the only thing the game will give.
Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:59 am

stylesrj wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:81: I've noticed that people dont use zoltan boarders. use them. They are op. just send them in, and they'll kill any human crew from fighting or dying (on death they will do 15 extra damage)
82: defence drone 2s always go for lasers.
83: enemy burst weapons are useless. they fire in three different spots, and do minimal damage.
84: the first bomb always misses. they target an airlock. if you have a system there then you're f*****.

82 is "Your Defence Drone 2's always go for lasers"
83 actually is "When your shields are down, enemy burst weapons will always hit important parts of your ship and set at least two fires."
84 would be "The first bomb always hit something important. And starts at least two fires"

looking back on this i found that the bombs actually target rooms which, if the ship has EVERYTHING there would be a system there.
e.g. the room where the teleporter would be on the kestrel/ the room where cloaking would be on the kestrel is always targeted.
killin' slugs and beating Rebels since 2014, modding the game since 2016
thereaverofdarkness

Postby thereaverofdarkness » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:08 am

AI defense drone shoots down 100% of single missiles, hacking drones, or boarding drones and hits both pegasus shots about a third of the time. YOUR defense drone fails to get a lone missile almost 20% of the time and fails to shoot down a boarding drone or hacking drone more like 40% of the time. The AI's defense drone mk II can shoot down half of your laser volley AND the missile behind it, but your defense mk II will never, ever shoot down an incoming missile if the opponent has any sort of laser or ion weapon.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:15 pm

thereaverofdarkness wrote:AI defense drone shoots down 100% of single missiles, hacking drones, or boarding drones and hits both pegasus shots about a third of the time. YOUR defense drone fails to get a lone missile almost 20% of the time and fails to shoot down a boarding drone or hacking drone more like 40% of the time.

and this is due to the Drone Targeting Glitch: https://www.reddit.com/r/ftlgame/commen ... ng_glitch/ , which can mostly be fixed but not completely