Need access to game graphics

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
SciGuy303

Need access to game graphics

Postby SciGuy303 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:02 am

Hi, I don't have a copy of FTL on this computer, and I want to have access to the graphics of the game. I want to make it into art for a game in development (Hyperspace Admirals, to be exact). Help is appreciated.
I do random stuff and surf on the fourms. That's about it.
R4V3-0N

Re: Need access to game graphics

Postby R4V3-0N » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:22 am

Well one option is downloading FTL on that computer and extracting the graphics from their.
The other option is to transfer it from a PC you do have FTL on...
Are we allowed to share around large bulks of vanilla ship graphics? I know we can have them in mods and the recolours...

But anyway: how will you use the ship graphics in HA? Their ships are a lot more... 'micro' in scale, you can't quite copy and paste and you can't just scale things down. You'll have to draw from scratch from what you see... and most weapons are sort of in the situation of "where do you slap the shields, guns, etc on this thing?" since HA puts weapons a top of ships, I have thought about doing a similar thing however but more of indirect inspirations of FTL then a mimic or copy.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
NarnKar

Re: Need access to game graphics

Postby NarnKar » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:28 am

R4V3-0N wrote:Are we allowed to share around large bulks of vanilla ship graphics? I know we can have them in mods and the recolours...

Justin wrote:Mods that require redistribution of the game files won't be allowed. This will have to be self regulated I think. I'm not going to manually delete posts but please adopt older mods to work with the ".ftl" system (or a new mod manager if it works better).

This rule was put into place way way way back in the day, when people had to manually edit mods into the game's code, resources, etc, rather than using .xml.append files. Basically, if a modder said "I preloaded my mod into the game resources, feel free to download the modified resource pack", the admins would be against that.

Maybe this policy has changed since then, but I doubt it.

Personally, my approach is to download Bas's FTL Dat Unpacker and use that to unpack FTL's resource files.