Aircraft carrier that is broken-need help fixing drone img

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Stormbringer

Aircraft carrier that is broken-need help fixing drone img

Postby Stormbringer » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:44 am

hello.
I need help (obviously)
the drone imgs aren't displaying correctly, the shields don't work and I don't know how the hell to make a anti-drone blueprint that fires missiles instead (I know the drone missile thing, I just need the imgs)
the img is the file named 'f18.png'
link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/m22vt ... rrier1.ftl

HELP!!!!
killin' slugs and beating Rebels since 2014, modding the game since 2016
meklozz

Re: Aircraft carrier that is broken-need help fixing drone img

Postby meklozz » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:00 pm

You need the image to be named f18_base, and you need two more images (they can just be a copy of the same) named f18_on and f18_charged. You really just need to look in the existing files and check how drone images are named. Shields seem fine. And anti-drone? What's the problem? I think it works basically the same, but I'm not sure why you'd need it.
Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:45 pm

meklozz wrote:You need the image to be named f18_base, and you need two more images (they can just be a copy of the same) named f18_on and f18_charged. You really just need to look in the existing files and check how drone images are named. Shields seem fine. And anti-drone? What's the problem? I think it works basically the same, but I'm not sure why you'd need it.

thankyou so much XD
Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:47 pm

meklozz wrote:You need the image to be named f18_base, and you need two more images (they can just be a copy of the same) named f18_on and f18_charged. You really just need to look in the existing files and check how drone images are named. Shields seem fine. And anti-drone? What's the problem? I think it works basically the same, but I'm not sure why you'd need it.

the shields: sometimes it deflects, other times it doesnt... hey, I can use that as a feature!
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:00 am

Does the shield cover the whole ship or does it leave the screen? Having shields that are too big are effectively the same as having no shields.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:21 am

Stormbringer wrote:the shields: sometimes it deflects, other times it doesnt... hey, I can use that as a feature!

it's probably because your ellipse isn't actually wide enough to fit the whole carrier. I'm pretty sure shields have to be ellipses. to make it fit just go and find out the length and width of the carrier, then go and edit the carrier.xml file and go to ellipse to make sure the dimensions of the ellipse more or less fit. or you could make that part of the ship. stylesrj brings up a good point
stylesrj wrote:Having shields that are too big are effectively the same as having no shields.

now I'm not sure if this is true or false, but I think if the shield ellipse goes off screen then something funky happens. not entirely sure and this is somewhat of a guess, but it might make sense as if you had a defense drone (goes around the shield) it would go off screen. the hull already goes off screen, but the rooms can't so you may still be able to fit a shield, it just won't fit over the whole ship. also the lack of a shield bubble sort of makes sense, but shots hitting an invisible shield is kinda strange, especially when
1. the carrier is a bit big for a shield as mentioned
2. it's an aircraft carrier. since when do they have shields? maybe you can follow through with your idea to use it as a feature: prototype shields. invisible to the naked eye, but also aren't quite ready yet, but saving the Federation is more important than creating the perfect shield.
what are you waiting for? save the Federation already!
Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:25 am

mr_easy_money wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:the shields: sometimes it deflects, other times it doesnt... hey, I can use that as a feature!

it's probably because your ellipse isn't actually wide enough to fit the whole carrier. I'm pretty sure shields have to be ellipses. to make it fit just go and find out the length and width of the carrier, then go and edit the carrier.xml file and go to ellipse to make sure the dimensions of the ellipse more or less fit. or you could make that part of the ship. stylesrj brings up a good point
stylesrj wrote:Having shields that are too big are effectively the same as having no shields.

now I'm not sure if this is true or false, but I think if the shield ellipse goes off screen then something funky happens. not entirely sure and this is somewhat of a guess, but it might make sense as if you had a defense drone (goes around the shield) it would go off screen. the hull already goes off screen, but the rooms can't so you may still be able to fit a shield, it just won't fit over the whole ship. also the lack of a shield bubble sort of makes sense, but shots hitting an invisible shield is kinda strange, especially when
1. the carrier is a bit big for a shield as mentioned
2. it's an aircraft carrier. since when do they have shields? maybe you can follow through with your idea to use it as a feature: prototype shields. invisible to the naked eye, but also aren't quite ready yet, but saving the Federation is more important than creating the perfect shield.
what are you waiting for? save the Federation already!

I used no. 2