FTL Rules Of Thumb

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Braxbro

Re: FTL Rules Of Thumb

Postby Braxbro » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:23 pm

59. The moment you start feeling good about your run, a Rebel Rigger with twin Burst II's and twin Attack II's crops up.
60. When you have the Fed A or B, you will always take a missile to the artillery room the moment before it finishes charging.
The first has happened to me five times. Before my last reset, the second happened fifteen.
Last edited by Braxbro on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kestrel A,B,C - Engi A,B,C - Stealth A - Zoltan A,B

Mantis board your teleporter. "They definitely can't just teleport us back onto our ship... these fleshy meatsacks are too dumb..."

"If we have AI, why not artificial stupidity?"
Braxbro

Postby Braxbro » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:24 pm

Braxbro wrote:59. The moment you start feeling good about your run, a Rebel Rigger with twin Burst II's and twin Attack II's crops up.
60. When you have the Fed A or B, you will always take a missile to the artillery room the moment before it finishes charging.
The first has happened to me five times. Before my last reset, the second happened fifteen.

Oh, and I forgot.
61. Engi named El Nub-Nub are more likely to get hit in the face with a missile while they are repairing something; but they will also get more crew kills. The opposite is true for other Engi.
62. At least one Engi in every Engi homeworld shop will be named El Nub Nub.
63. If you name a Lanius 'puny' on the Lanius A (so you can have your crew list say 'die puny humans') the Lanius is more likely to be attacked by (and kill) a four Mantis boarding team in his four space airless sanctuary.

Edit: Also forgot these:

64. When you fire a Flak II, all the shrapnel will hit somewhere OTHER than where you WANT it to hit.
65. When you are using a missile ship, you will always run out of missiles when your enemy is on one HP.
66. When you flee from the aforementioned Rebel Rigger with one HP, the next jump is guaranteed to be a Auto Scout with hacking and a Basic Laser.
Last edited by Braxbro on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mantis board your teleporter. "They definitely can't just teleport us back onto our ship... these fleshy meatsacks are too dumb..."

stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:16 pm

Braxbro wrote:59. The moment you start feeling good about your run, a Rebel Rigger with twin Burst II's, a Pre-Igniter, and twin Attack II's crops up.

Enemy ships can't use pre-igniters. Captain's Edition makes mention of it when you go to some zones - a ship attacks you with pre-ignited weapons and you are forced to fight in a hazard zone to avoid the initial barrage but no actual damage occurs.
Enemy ships just happen to shoot off a missile or BS barrage in the first 10 seconds of combat. You can too but you're not wasting a missile :P

64. If you leave a boarding party on the Flagship when it explodes, the next stage will have your boarding party as its boarding party.

No it will not. While I haven't actually done that myself, the game isn't coded to turn your boarding party against you in any situation.
Then again, it does remember you killing most of the crew. But I really doubt it turned your Lanius and Mantis raiders into enemies next time you see them.

^ Pics or it didn't happen!
Braxbro

Postby Braxbro » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:21 pm

stylesrj wrote:
Braxbro wrote:59. The moment you start feeling good about your run, a Rebel Rigger with twin Burst II's, a Pre-Igniter, and twin Attack II's crops up.

Enemy ships can't use pre-igniters. Captain's Edition makes mention of it when you go to some zones - a ship attacks you with pre-ignited weapons and you are forced to fight in a hazard zone to avoid the initial barrage but no actual damage occurs.
Enemy ships just happen to shoot off a missile or BS barrage in the first 10 seconds of combat. You can too but you're not wasting a missile :P

64. If you leave a boarding party on the Flagship when it explodes, the next stage will have your boarding party as its boarding party.

No it will not. While I haven't actually done that myself, the game isn't coded to turn your boarding party against you in any situation.
Then again, it does remember you killing most of the crew. But I really doubt it turned your Lanius and Mantis raiders into enemies next time you see them.

I run mostly modded runs.

And I legit found one with 2 FULLY CHARGED BLII's that dealt me four damage in one volley. I don't have pics of either... the second I marked off as my idiocy, the first I was too busy going WTF!?!?! to take one. lolz.

Though... the first could just be that I wasn't paying attention for the first 12 seconds of the battle. It had Cloaking, so that would have explained the 0 charge on my weapons... :P

Braxbro

Postby Braxbro » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:26 pm

Braxbro wrote:
stylesrj wrote:

I run mostly modded runs.

And I legit found one with 2 FULLY CHARGED BLII's that dealt me four damage in one volley before my BLII's charged one bit... I don't have pics of either... the second I marked off as my idiocy (so I killed the party before thinking about a screenshot...), the first I was too busy going WTF!?!?! to take one. lolz.

Though... the first could just be that I wasn't paying attention for the first 12 seconds of the battle. It had Cloaking, so that would have explained the 0 charge on my weapons... :P

Or it could just be my memory getting rusty.

Braxbro

Postby Braxbro » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:32 pm

stylesrj wrote:

Of course, on a off-topic note, I once had a massively powerful setup... and my dog, which was sitting on my lap, stood up on the desk and looked at my computer... and when I get it to sit down, I see a Rebel fighter explode. :P My dog seems to be a better gunner than me... which is why I name my weapons people after my pets...

Well, I won't say I didn't help, as my elbow hit the mouse multiple times xD

But I will amend those two. It was obviously my own idiocy... and the fact I was playing with some... wierd mods...

Tetragon213

Postby Tetragon213 » Fri May 06, 2016 12:58 pm

67) Your clonebay is never a target until a crew member needs to be cloned. Then every single shot will mysteriously gravitate towards it and mysteriously your pilot will fail at dodging. Also, said shots will always cause a breach and a fire.
68) Never, ever, ever take the less moral route in a random event. The game WILL screw you over for it. For example, if you decide to steal supplies from some settlers, it will usually end up being vaccinations, making you feel terrible, or it will be bombs.
MikieRpg

Postby MikieRpg » Fri May 06, 2016 11:20 pm

69: Sex jokes get you 999 scrap
70: When playing a stealth ship, every ship will be the beam master!
P.S I actually died to him while playing stealth b, he hit my weapons, then my cloak, then my o2, and by then i couldn't even damage him XD
71(Mod): In stations job infinite mode, you can stay at 1 shield for 100 turns, and all the enemies will have 0-2 layers of shield, but as soon as you get level 2 engines, level 5 weapons, or level 2 shields, they ALL have lvl3 shields.
72: Every time you get Rock Plating, RNGesus will always make it not work, but when fighting a rock scout everyone of your BL3's lasers will be resisted.
Same goes for system plating and Ion shielding.
73: If you ever have a zoltan shield, every event with a enemy will have then board you with a "zoltan shield bypass" augment.
74(shout out to my mod XD) When playing the Blue-Jay(Copyright 2053) the first fight you enter has a enemy with a beam drone, as soon as your shield gets up(if its not disabled already) every enemy gets missiles.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 22, 2016 4:31 am

75: Got a Glaive Beam in Slot 1 and a Vulcan in Slot 2? The enemy will focus everything on Weapons to make sure that Vulcan stays at minimal charge.
76: As soon as you realise that mistake and put the Vulcan in Slot 1 and the Glaive in Slot 2, the enemy no longer fires upon Weapons.
MikieRpg

Postby MikieRpg » Mon May 23, 2016 12:40 am

77: If you ever have a chance to buy a Vulcan Or BL3, you will always be 1 scrap short, and can't sell anything without significantly Weaken your ship
78: The second you play a OP ship, the first ship you fight has 2 missile weapons, that disable both your piloting and shields, while in a asteroid field