Should I get this game?

General discussion about the game.
SloppyMayor

Should I get this game?

Postby SloppyMayor » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:52 pm

I need a new game to play, And I was thinking of getting this, But I need to know if it's worth it.

No, Don't just say "Yes" or "This game is epic", Because no game is perfect. I wan't pro's and con's.
Moosicorn

Re: Should I get this game?

Postby Moosicorn » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:15 pm

Got it Friday played 21 hours already. Do You need a bigger explanation of how amazing this game is?
liq3

Postby liq3 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:44 pm

Pros:
You can light ships on fire and watch the fire spread, slowly destroying the ship.
You can then teleport fireproof rockmen into the burning parts of their ship to make sure they don't put them out.
Rockmen. Standing in fire. Murdering people. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?

Cons: I've already played 34 hours.
Onirae

Postby Onirae » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:49 pm

Moosicorn wrote:Got it Friday played 21 hours already. Do You need a bigger explanation of how amazing this game is?

Concur

23 hours and counting
Tysonclyde

Postby Tysonclyde » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:56 pm

Do u like awesomeness? Than YES!!! ;) :) :) :) :) :)
Outhale

Postby Outhale » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:16 am

20 hours in. I'm very glad I bought it and I've recommended it to a lot of people already.

Pros:
*Picard simulator
*Infinite replay value
*Challenging, rewarding gameplay
*Great for pause-and-play between other tasks -- pause whenever you want
*Mod potential looks promising
*Holy crap! http://i.imgur.com/g2MSc.jpg

Cons:
*Fleet Advancement (basically an enrage timer for each sector) can get annoying, but can be disabled
*Weapons controls seem a bit tedious with a full hotbar --I find myself pausing so frequently during fights to maximize weapon usage that fights take longer than they probably should
*Ending needs fine-tuning
Jalida

Postby Jalida » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:39 am

Do you like Roguelike type of games,
If Yes, buy the game.

Do you like Roguelike type of games,
If No, then don't buy the game.

Pros
random everytime you start a new game
Dying means dead
Addictive at times, got that... just one more move feel to it at times
Rebel fleet chasing you keeps you moving

Cons
Sometimes a little too random every new game
Dying means dead
Addictive at times, got that... Just one more move feel to it at times.
Rebel fleet chasing me just makes me feel like it's an added mechanic to hide flaws in the game
Savage117

Postby Savage117 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:38 am

I hate this question, never understood why people ask it, your always going to get conflicting answers, and you probably wont believe its good if everyone says so, the only way to find out is to do research or play a demo, unfortunately their is no demo for this game but you get my point.

I shall then answer your question with several questions of my own.

1) Do you have a surplus of currency equal to or greater than USD $8.99? (Only until the 9/21 then will be $10)

2) Do you enjoy the idea of managing the crew and weaponry of a fictional spacecraft?

3) Do you enjoy turn-based/pause-based games like Fallout 1 and 2, or dungeon crawler games like Legend of Grimrock and the older games it was based off of?

4) Did you ever enjoy text based games, where the graphics were nothing more than a static picture? If yes, this game actually has moving characters and sounds, welcome to the future. :D

Now that that’s done, I shall give you my opinion of this game in Pro/Con format as requested.

Pros:
*Challenging game-play, Normal is more like Hard in other games and the different ship types you can unlock can make it much more difficult or easier depending on the ship. For example: I have done at least 10 playthroughs with the Rock Cruiser and haven’t got past sector 4, while I can almost guarantee ill get to sector 7 or 8 with the Engi ship every time, this could be purely my fault and based on play style.
*Infinite replay value, everything after character creation, or ship creation, is completely random, sometimes this can cause a more difficult playthrough, but I like that aspect of the game, you never know what you are going to get.
*Short but sweet games, if you rocket through it it might take you about 8 hours to finish, but its still satisfying when you beat it and see your high score in that ship. I personally like to read everything even if iv seen it before because every once in a while the outcome will be different.
*Loot based game-play, everyone likes loot, well everyone that plays loot based games, its always nice to see that awesome Biobeam weapon pop up on your screen when you come out of FTL at another beacon.

Cons:
*It will suck away your weekend before you even knew time had passed, you will look at the clock one moment and the next time you look 4-5 hours have passed.
*The Fleet advancement mechanic is annoying, but its there for balance, the game would be a lot less entertaining without it IMO, if it weren’t there you could explore the entire sector before moving on and you’d have more weapons and money by the end sector than you could spend and your ship would be maxed out on everything, making the end a cakewalk.
*Can be very frustrating at times when the game seems to be completely against you winning. For example, never looting a weapon the whole way through or none of the stores that you could find carry weapons, or having to spend all your money on missiles just to keep playing because of this issue, I'm looking at you Rock Cruiser. :evil: In summary this game is well worth the money I paid for it, I would have paid $30 for it had that been the asking price.

Picard Simulator!! you are awesome in a box sir. Have a cookie. :mrgreen:
LUCADENA

Postby LUCADENA » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:55 am

Go to youtube
Search for "let's play ftl" or
"Ftl gameplay"
It should clear how the game plays.
Patchumz

Postby Patchumz » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:28 am

Yes, this game is epic. Don't buy pizza this week, that'll give you enough money to afford the game and feel better about your health at the same time.
El Psy Congroo.