White Screen at Startup

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
dmuth

White Screen at Startup

Postby dmuth » Thu May 07, 2020 2:04 am

Hi,

I last played FTL about a year ago then uninstalled it. I recently reinstalled it, but starting the game gives me a white screen (white Window, technically) and I can't seem to fix it.

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB graphics (built into my iMac)
Logs: I was not able to find any in the recommended locations:

Code: Select all

[Cheetah:~/Library/Logs ] $ pwd
/Users/doug/Library/Logs
[Cheetah:~/Library/Logs ] $ !find
find . | grep -i ftl
[Cheetah:~/Library/Logs ] $

I did however derp around in $HOME/Library and found the file ./Application Support/FasterThanLight/FTL.log. The game seems to hang on the message "Creating FBO":

Code: Select all

[Cheetah:~/Library ] $ cat "./Application Support/FasterThanLight/FTL.log"
Loading settings
Failed to load settings file!
Initializing Crash Catcher...
Starting up
Loading text
Initializing Video
Video: 1280x720, windowed
Video Initialized
Renderer: OpenGL version 4.1 (GL_VERSION: 4.1 NVIDIA-12.0.24 355.11.10.50.10.103)
Creating FBO...
[Cheetah:~/Library ] $

Let me know if there's anything else I can try. I'm quite familiar with the command line and will be more than happy to try stuff there if it will help.

Thanks!
isla

Re: White Screen at Startup

Postby isla » Thu May 07, 2020 6:06 pm

Hi there,

Do you have any pending updates for your computer? Last time I saw this issue it was resolved after a system update.
dmuth

Re: White Screen at Startup

Postby dmuth » Fri May 08, 2020 9:55 pm

No, but... a funny thing happened yesterday. I took another shot at troubleshooting and decided to try another Steam game.

Similar problem.

So I tried a third, then a fourth, and had the same problem--no Steam games would launch. That was... weird. I finally decided to give a try at completely removing and installing Steam, and all games worked just fine, including FTL.

So I guess we can close the book on that one. :shock: :o