[Bug?] Zoltan activates deactivated weapon slot

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Azewaldo

[Bug?] Zoltan activates deactivated weapon slot

Postby Azewaldo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:31 pm

When my Zoltan walks through the weapons room, and I don't have the slot 1 weapon activated, it activates slot 1 and may deactivate another weapon.

Example:
In the Kestrel A I have 4 power to my weapons system. I have slots 2 & 4 activated, each taking 2 power. Slot 1 is deactivated & takes 1 slot (in this case the default Kestrel missile weapon). The weapons room is manned by a single human. When my Zoltan walks through the ship he goes through the weapons room. When his power hits the system my slot 1 weapon activates, and my slot 4 weapon deactivates. After he leaves the room I have to disable slot 1 & reactivate slot 4 to return to my desired configuration.

I didn't know this was happening at first, which made some battles a little confusing, until after a battle I saw it happen, and re-tested with the above scenario.
Galdred

Re: [Bug?] Zoltan activates deactivated weapon slot

Postby Galdred » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:13 am

It looks like when it walks out, it deactivates weapon 1 too, even though weapon 2 was powered and could have been deactivated instead.
Azewaldo

Postby Azewaldo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:15 am

I see now that it has to do with the Zoltan always powering slot 1. When in the room slot 1 is powered and activated, and can't be deactivated.

Ideally the Zoltan's power should only show on the main weapons system power meter and not be tied to any particular slot. Maybe the game engine architecture required it that way, but hopefully it can be changed. Otherwise I'll need to rely on workarounds such as always having a weapon in slot 1 that I likely won't be disabling whenever I have a Zoltan aboard.
zarakon

Postby zarakon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:20 pm

It is annoying. I would have two possible suggestions:

1. Big change. Make it so Zoltans on the ship just always add 1 to the reactor total, regardless of where they are. This would simplify them a lot, and get rid of all their annoyances, but it would make them slightly more powerful and reduce some of the intended complexity of managing them.

2. Minor change. Make it so Zoltans will NOT power a room that they are just passing through. The code to check this could be the same as what the teleporter was changed to use - only power a room while moving if it is the destination room. This way you would still have to manage things properly between the rooms where a Zoltan is leaving from and going to, but you wouldn't have the annoyances in rooms that they just pass through.
TheKillerNacho

Postby TheKillerNacho » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:15 pm

I've always found Zoltans a bit annoying for this reason. Of course, their benefits greatly outweigh their annoyances. What happens to me all the time with Zoltans is that a Zoltan will walk through a system room, power it, leave into an empty room, and accidentally turn off the system. This is especially annoying when it happens to O2 and you don't realize it.

Unfortunately, I can't really think of a good way to prevent this bug. Perhaps not allow Zoltans to "override" green energy bars with their yellow energy bar? So if the room they are in is already powered fully, a green bar doesn't go back to the reactor (in a sense, the Zoltan bar gets "wasted" until one powers down the room they are in by 1).
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:40 pm

I think what happens is:
1) Zoltan walks in the weapons room and powers up weapon #1 (that's intended behaviour)
2) Zoltan walks out and weapons room is suddenly one power short. Because #4 is the least important, the power is taken away from weapon #4

The problem is so severe because you have broken the Zoltan Movement rule:
Number of Zoltans in move must never exceed number of free reactor power.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!