1.6.3 mac fullscreen performance loss

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
ryanfigg

1.6.3 mac fullscreen performance loss

Postby ryanfigg » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:03 pm

Hello,

I'm running FTL via Steam on my early-2015 macbook pro retina 13", using an external dell 24" monitor (1920x1200).
Steam recently auto-updated from 1.5.9ish (if I recall) to 1.6.3.

I think I used to have it set to 1920x1200 native, and the graphics looked very crisp and all the animations were smooth. Now this option is missing, and fullscreen stretched does not look as good in several ways: a blurry stretched look to the art, and flickery animations on anything fast-moving, like missiles or lasers.

Also it's not really a bug, but hitting the top of the screen and accidentally getting an os x menu bar popping down is a negative for me. I know there were people bemoaning the lack of cmd-tab switching, but personally, I'd rather have fullscreen immersion.

I found a suggestion in a reddit thread to modify settings.ini and set manual values (1280x720 resolution) for windows, and I tried this too, but the results are the same.

Is there a workaround to use the native resolution even though it's not in the menu?

Thank you!
isla

Re: 1.6.3 mac fullscreen performance loss

Postby isla » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:16 pm

Hey there,

We're got another similar report about this this morning and are currently working on a solution. We're going to restore native mode in the next update but in the meantime I do have a question. The settings file you mentioned editing, where is it located on your machine?
ryanfigg

Re: 1.6.3 mac fullscreen performance loss

Postby ryanfigg » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:36 am

Thanks for the quick response!

I found the file at ~/Library/Application Support/FasterThanLight/settings.ini

I set manual=1, and tried several values with screen_x and screen_y.
The behavior seemed to be that it would start with the screen_x and screen_y values through the loading screen and the menu, then when I chose "Continue" it would revert to the stretched resolution.