Another critical bug kills crew members - game over

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
shadowcrust

Another critical bug kills crew members - game over

Postby shadowcrust » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:00 am

Playing the Basilisk, about the 6th jump in sector 1. The event was a merchant that you can attack before hearing him out (second option of three), which I chose. I teleported the two starting Mantis over and killed the two Rock crew, while his Burst Laser Mk II and his small bomb destroyed my sensors, teleporter and cockpit. After the enemy crew was killed, the loot screen popped up (including a Burst Laser Mk I), then the message that you return to your ship with a shuttle. Then instantly the game over screen saying that all crew members have died, which they haven't, both Mantis were a bit beaten up, but not too bad. No breach or loss of oxygen or fire on the enemy ship, as I haven't had a single weapon to use.

At that point, I had three engine upgrades (to level 4) and Long-ranged scanners instead of the Mantis pheromones.

As I have experienced the shuttle message several times before with no instant game over screen, I have no clue what caused the game to trigger the false loss message this time.

Update: after looking some more at the screenshot, I have a strong hypothesis: the second small bomb destroying my cockpit was just fired before the last enemy crew was killed, and the shuttle that returns your crew when your teleporter has been destroyed unloads everyone (instantly) into the cockpit, so the small bomb killed both my returned Mantis in the cockpit... so the bug/issue is that the crew is instantly returned by shuttle, so the shuttle is even faster than a teleporter would have been.

Here the screen shot:

stylesrj

Re: Another critical bug kills crew members - game over

Postby stylesrj » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:16 pm

Well, judging by what happened and your theory... yeah just a case of bad luck. Not a bug but one of the cruel ways FTL can crap on you. I once had the Rebel supply drop event occur on the Shrike. My Lanius dealt with the enemy but died in the process. As they were being cloned back though, the enemy crew died of suffocation and because I was evil, I decided to steal the enemy supplies.
For some reason, that Engi decided to put the booby-trapped materials INSIDE THE CLONE BAY!

Yeah...
shadowcrust

Re: Another critical bug kills crew members - game over

Postby shadowcrust » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:12 am

Yeah, if my hypothesis is correct, then the bug is more like a 'bug' in that the shuttle is faster than a teleporter... but what we've learned is to delay killing the last enemy crew member on their ship to see where their weapons hit your ship... micromicromicromanagment! :)