Deleted save file

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Reptilelord

Deleted save file

Postby Reptilelord » Tue May 13, 2014 7:02 pm

I was playing a session of FTL and save+quit. I later returned to continue the game and it gave me the messages as if it was a new game. I pressed continue and my session was still there but then when I got to sector 5 I noticed I got the achievement for getting to sector 5 (which I had already done many, MANY times). so I went back to the main menu to be greeted by my entire save file along with all ships and achievements GONE. I restarted steam online (this situation happened offline) to no avail, then restarted my computer and the problem is still there. I can see the save file in the my documents location but when I start the game its not there.
Matthew
Site Admin

Re: Deleted save file

Postby Matthew » Wed May 14, 2014 11:31 am

Do you get the new game messages every time you launch? And it never records your progress? If you have a profile file that it's not finding, you might be hitting the same issue as this guy: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24505

Otherwise, it sounds like something else might have wiped your profile. You can use this fan tool to get back your data: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10959

Terribly sorry about the troubles.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Reptilelord

Re: Deleted save file

Postby Reptilelord » Thu May 15, 2014 9:24 pm

I guess I was a bit hasty with the post. I was just really flustered as you can imagine. It did not give me the new game message each time so my best guess is the file was flat out reset. The suggestions in the posts from others with similar problems didn't fix the problem, so I ended up using the profile editor to get my ships and achievements back. I guess it wasn't a terrible loss, but Im mystified at how it was deleted, as my computer is private.