Sound bug - choppy/crackly/popping

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
LawVos

Sound bug - choppy/crackly/popping

Postby LawVos » Wed May 07, 2014 6:17 pm

Hi,

After the recent update I experience a sound problem when playing the game through my Logitech G35 headphones. Sound effects and music are there but the sound appears to pop/crackle whenever a new sound effect is played, so for example on the jump screen if I quickly move my mouse around over different spots, the usual sound effect plays but it sort of blips or pops as it plays and seems to cut off the end of the effect slightly. Also the volume of sound effects and music goes up and down slightly during this.

If I play using my speakers on my desk, there is no problem. Also, no other games experience this issue, and it wasn't there before the update. I have tried different USB slots to no avail.

It really means I can't play atm because it is very off-putting and I have to have music and sound effects, so I'm pretty sad :(

OK so I tested it, and it's probably to do with the latest Logitech Gaming Software, version 8.53.154 x64. An older version of the software (8.40.83 x64) does not exhibit the problem. Would be great if you could fix it for the newer version.
Matthew
Site Admin

Re: Sound bug - choppy/crackly/popping

Postby Matthew » Fri May 09, 2014 12:21 pm

You could try downloading the most recent version of the audio library that FTL uses and replace bass.dll in the FTL installation directory. Link here: http://www.un4seen.com/download.php?bass24

We're at the mercy of that software, and Logitech's software in this case, as they are black boxes that we can't break open to see what could be going wrong. Sorry about the troubles, hopefully one or the other will have an update that will fix that.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
MineElectricity

Postby MineElectricity » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:28 pm

Hi !
I have the same bug, I tried to change the pci delay in my bios settings but that doesn't help :(
I'm using Ubuntu 16.04

Thx :)
MineElectricity

Postby MineElectricity » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:39 pm

Ok, I found out the solution :

_go on http://www.un4seen.com/
_click the tux download button

First - the x86 version

_go to SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/FTL Faster Than Light
_go to / on the zip you downloaded

_backup your libbass.so from the game by renaming it libbass.so.x86.old
_paste libbass.so from the zip to the file

Second - the x64 version

_go to SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/FTL Faster Than Light/data/amd64
_go to /x64 on the zip you downloaded

_backup your libbass.so from the game by renaming it libbass.so.x64.old
_paste libbass.so from the zip to the file

Test your game sound.

If it doesn't work :
_remove the news libbass.so and take the use the backups by removing the .x86.old and .x64.old from the name of the backups.
_Tell me in the comment.
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:20 am

Does it work for you? Last time I tried that, I still got bouncy sound effects (for lack of a better word).
MineElectricity

Postby MineElectricity » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:49 am

Yep it does work, but If you have the problem on other applications it's probably the pci delay option (in your bios) who is not big enough ^^ :)

How to augment the pci delay: reboot your computer - go to bios (f2 echap or del key)- find the pci delay option (probably in the advanced options panel) - augment it by the 1 up (if you have 12, 24 and 48, and 24 is selected, select 48) and try the game. Do it again and again.

Personnally I had to do it 6 times (I have something like 236)
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:36 am

Cheers, will give it a try soon.
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:26 pm

Yay, it worked! The last libbass.so version from Sep 30 2015 didn't work properly (bouncy sounds), but the newer one from 10 Mar 2016 brings back proper sounds. I'm so looking forward hearing proper impact of the Heavy Lasers again :-) Thanks a bunch! Didn't do anything in the BIOS, by the way. System is Linux Mint 17.
MineElectricity

Postby MineElectricity » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:44 pm

Yay ! :D
I recorded a video to help solve the bug too^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG6NwWIrXd4
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:36 pm

Hehe, I can't imagine someone using a 32bit Linux version nowadays... think it died out 15 years ago? :-)