game needs autosave

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Moosicorn

game needs autosave

Postby Moosicorn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:53 pm

And unexpected crash made me loose my best run yet
leandemon

Re: game needs autosave

Postby leandemon » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:21 am

Ditto. My game has crashed twice and I had to start a new game each time. This is getting very frustrating.
gameassassin1020

Postby gameassassin1020 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:53 am

Game crashed? Sucks for you

Dying? Thats the point.

This is how ALL GAMES WHERE AT SOME POINT and it was done this way on purpose to create challenge.
vince0018

Postby vince0018 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:39 am

I haven't crashed a single time in the 14 and counting hours I've played so far.
What OpenGL are you running? I'm on 4.xx something. Not sure if it makes a difference but my best
guess would be that, or some other software or hardware.
Does this game use Net Framework? Can't remember, but it could be that too.

It could also be coding in the game, but usually in those cases I would have crashed by now, though it still
could happen.

But I do agree, an autosave might be nice but only for accidental things; crashes, computer reboot, power outage, etc.
PhilBlunt

Postby PhilBlunt » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:42 am

I agree with implementing autosave. My laptop overheated a couple times during marathon play. I have since tried turning VSync ON, like the FAQ recommends and haven't had the problem. But it would still be nice.
Norgg

Postby Norgg » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:12 pm

+1 here on laptop overheating (I didn't expect it to be pummelling the CPU/GPU like that) and losing an awesome run. Now I'm habitually quit&saving every sector change out of paranoia.
Vaansinn

Postby Vaansinn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:11 pm

gameassassin1020 wrote:This is how ALL GAMES WHERE AT SOME POINT and it was done this way on purpose to create challenge.

What challenge exactly are we talking about? Keeping your PC running while playing the game? I don't understand what your comment has to do with autosave. dungeons of dredmor has a simple way of autosaving (and deleting said save game when you die) so there are ways of implementing it.
LaserSushi

Postby LaserSushi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:32 pm

Vaansinn wrote:
gameassassin1020 wrote:This is how ALL GAMES WHERE AT SOME POINT and it was done this way on purpose to create challenge.

What challenge exactly are we talking about? Keeping your PC running while playing the game? I don't understand what your comment has to do with autosave. dungeons of dredmor has a simple way of autosaving (and deleting said save game when you die) so there are ways of implementing it.
Its a classic games purist post. "back in my day all games screwed you over"

Really though autosave would be nice. Might be a nice way too make scumming more difficult too.
BigD145

Postby BigD145 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:57 pm

Lack of autosave is a feature, not a bug. Take a look at roguelikes and roguelike likes. They tend to not have autosave by definition.
icepick

Postby icepick » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:02 pm

It doesn't need a lack of autosave to be difficult.

Having the game crash on you legitimately sucks. That said it doesn't need autosave just b/c of crashing. The game ideally shouldn't crash. So yeah. I don't know that I'd try and declare that it's a necessity, but it's not a bad suggestion.