Exploit: Repair Drone + Drone Recovery Arm = free repairs

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
TJJ

Exploit: Repair Drone + Drone Recovery Arm = free repairs

Postby TJJ » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:40 pm

I just found an exploit that allows free repairs.

What you need:

- Drone Control
- Drone Recovery Arm
- Repair Drone
- 1 drone part (so you can deploy the Repair Drone)

The repair drone is supposed to be destroyed once it's applied 3-5 repair actions.
However....

1) Deploy the Repair Drone.
2) let it perform 2 repair actions
3) Jump away.

The partially used repair drone will be collected by the Drone Recovery Arm and you'll have your drone part credited back to you.
Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen!
Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here!

Matthew
Site Admin

Re: Exploit: Repair Drone + Drone Recovery Arm = free repair

Postby Matthew » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Thank you. I'll make sure to fix that. Given the excessive requirements, and that you only get 1 free repair per jump, it's not that big a deal anyway :)
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
TJJ

Postby TJJ » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:04 pm

Good to know.

Though I wouldn't understate the advantage it gives.

The game's difficulty has a tendency to snow-ball, either positively (when you get ahead of the curve) or negatively (when you fall behind).
A small advantage like this puts you quite definitely ahead of the curve, and eventually reaps huge rewards.

If the nominal value of 1 hull point is 2 scrap, and a typical game has 120 jumps in it; that works out as 480 scrap saved in hull repairs!
Obviously it's typically going to be much less than that, but even if it's only 100-200 scrap saved that's enough to turn an impossible game into an easy one.
Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen!
Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here!

FDru

Postby FDru » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:17 pm

I just discovered this "exploit" today (which means, btw, that it has not been fixed :lol:) and wanted to comment on it because I'm not sure I find it particularly unbalancing. The reason for that is because if you find a Drone Recovery Arm, you will likely never run out of drones, even if you fully used up a drone to repair your hull for the entire game. I know this is true because previously I've always used the Recovery Arm + Hull Repair Drone combo anytime I've found them both in a game, and always made it to the end of the game with plenty of drones to spare, before I knew this exploit even existed.

It's a nice bonus which lets you use drones with impunity, since you are surely never going to run out. But chances are, you weren't going to run out anyway with the Recovery Arm. At least, that's been my experience.
mqstout

Postby mqstout » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:59 pm

TJJ, your savings calculations forget a few things:
* Hull repair drone costs 100. (rarity ?)
* Most ships start without drone system -- 80 to get it. (low rarity)
* Of course you'll need the drone recovery arm, which is neither common nor uncommon (costs 50). (rarity 2)
* PLUS (and this is the big one), you need to keep the hull repair drone in your active drones slot to use this so-called exploit. The way I usually use it is to swap it in after battle, use it, then swap it back out before I jump so I have useful drones (say a defense and an anti-ship) during battle.

So that's a 230 scrap investment, and a dedication of one of your drone and augmentation slots.

Compare all of the above to the repair arm augment. Repair 1 hull damage whenever you get scrap, at the cost of 10% (or 15%?) of your scrap. I'd say they work out to about the same net benefit. Repair arm costs 50. We'll assume you get it early on and that an average run nets 2000 scrap -- total cost 300 + 50 = 350 and the dedication of just one augment slot, plus much easier to get. (a single rarity 3 augment)

I'd say they work out to about the same net benefit.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:31 pm

Full repair results in average 4 points of hull repaired, so this trick saves you not 1, but 0.5 drone part per jump.

mqstout wrote:(repair arm)I'd say they work out to about the same net benefit.

Oh, I disagree. Imho costs of Repair Arm are huge and benefits small. This trick similarly has also quite steep cost of going into battle not fully repaired, with hull drone equipped and negligible benefits because of what FDru said: Drone Recovery Arm means you'll have a surplus of drone parts anyway. Saving 0.5 of a drone part won't change much.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!